Power Yoga and METs? What's your opinion?

popsicle33
popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
It's hard to calculate how many calories are burned with yoga, since it is such a personalized workout experience. There are a couple of entries about calories burned/hour on MFP's exercise dbase, but nothing is there regarding "power yoga" -

Does anyone have suggestions about what the METs would be for high-intensity/power yoga? If I had an idea, then I could approximate calories burned. All I know is, it makes me sweatier and more winded than a 30 minute run!

Thanks eveyone!

Replies

• tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    hey- I LOVE Power Yoga...what an intense workout hey? I am so dripping with sweat the whole time I do it...like dripping off my ponytail..in my eyes etc. I too also get winded and do the advanced poses all the time. I have not found an exact calorie amount..so I add them by how hard the class was. I have ranged from 350-550 calories for an hour. IT may actually be more but I figure, if I am underestimating how many calories I burned..then overall, maybe a bit more of a weight loss.
    When the hour class is more moderate...I will put 350-400 calories..but I'm sure you know when there is a super intense one that is so hard..(sometimes I need a nap after I am so tired)..I have put like 550 calories.
    I don't know what I would do without my power yoga. IT has been so beneficial and helpful in getting stronger and more athletic.
    Best to you : )
  • popsicle33
    Thanks, Tarzena
    that gives me a good ballpark idea. I might start googling yoga and METs online to see what other people are saying.

Yoga (in general) has indeed been one of the most beneficial workouts I have ever had for many years. Unfortunately, I stopped doing it for about 5 years and I am glad to be back in the saddle again. It is a great complement to other sports, or just on its own!

Amy in Albuquerque
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    I have to say, I love power yoga too! I took a class last year and the day after the first class, my abs, arms, and thigh muscles were killing me, even though I thought I hadn't done much the night before. It was great! One of the best workouts I've ever done.

I don't have anything on amount of calories burned, but I wonder if you get a heart rate monitor to wear while you do it, if that'll give you an idea of how much you burned? Calories burned depend a lot on a person's individual weight and heart rate, so it's hard to tell otherwise.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    I used an hrm during a power yoga class, only burned about 200 cals however i benefit in other ways (posture etc), its similar to body balance calories burnt
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    I used an hrm during a power yoga class, only burned about 200 cals however i benefit in other ways (posture etc), its similar to body balance calories burnt

Not to mention, it's great for toning and building strength. I think I owe some of my most recent muscle build-up to that yoga class. I'm dying to take it up again.
  • popsicle33
    Thanks for the ideas. We should have a "yoga ring" on MFP to keep on talking.

I used a yoga video yesterday morning that had me huffing and puffing like yoga doesn't usually do to me, and that's what made me wonder. It's "Yoga for Weight Loss" from the YogaZone studio. It's been out for years. This video does lots of flows, lots of deep chair poses, up dog, down dogs, warrior 2, chaturangas, etc., a lot like really intense sun salutations - it was awesome!

I need an HRM.
This discussion has been closed.