Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Yoga Help Please

I just took up yoga this year and have been doing it at home 3 days a week for about 30 min. I'm doing the Kate Potter Namaste videos and feel like I'm not benefiting at all. Its been 4 months and I feel no more flexible than before and not feeling like I'm burning ANY cals or building strength. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. You'll definitely feel that! :wink:
  • Lets just say, Jillian Michaels form of yoga is not yoga!
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Yoga-X from the P90X series ;)

You'll love the pain!

Best of luck!
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Check out Seane Corne or Baron Baptiste. They have great dvds and are wonderful instructors. Nothing beats a real class, though.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Jillian and P90X yoga is not yoga. It's their attempt at yoga...

I really enjoy anything by Rodney Yee (gaiam.com) especially his Yoga Burn dvd. Look for workouts with the words Burn or Power in them. They use alot of sun salutations that get the heart rate up and burn your muscles in different ways. Imagine holding a pushup for 2 breaths and then going into cobra and quickly into downeard dog. Breath and repeat several times.

I also like to do some cardio for 10-20 minutes before to get warmed up and get the muscles loose. Good luck!
  • Thanks for all the suggestions I'll check some out. I of course would love to take a class but Its not in my budget.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member

I really enjoy anything by Rodney Yee (gaiam.com) especially his Yoga Burn dvd. Look for workouts with the words Burn or Power in them. They use alot of sun salutations that get the heart rate up and burn your muscles in different ways. Imagine holding a pushup for 2 breaths and then going into cobra and quickly into downeard dog. Breath and repeat several times.

Jillian does these a lot in her DVD. But I guess it's not yoga...so...:ohwell:
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member

Jillian does these a lot in her DVD. But I guess it's not yoga...so...:ohwell:

I am a fan of Jillian, not so much her yoga. There is so much more to yoga than the workout. There is a mindset, a mantra, a almost ambiance to it. Many people take what they want from yoga and many live yogic. I am in the middle somewhere. I suggest doing a Rodney Yee sun salutation flow and you will see what I am talking about. You may even find it to inspire you further into yoga (it did for me and I like my workouts hardcore).

Last Sunday I wanted something different from my usual routine and found Jillian's Last Chance Workout on demand, I loved it! Kicked my azz! :smile:
  • I never even thought about checking my on demand or netflix for this stuff. Huh, Thanx for the advise.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Shiva Rea too.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Crunch - The Perfect Yoga Workout: The Joy of Yoga & Fat-Burning Yoga

http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Perfect-Yoga-Workout-Fat-Burning/dp/B00005NQGR

being sold at Amazon for $9.99 & she works it.. you will feel it when you are doing it.