The Start of a LONG Journey {Gastric Bypass, Lapband, etc.}

Options
I have a good 150-175 lbs to lose to be at a very healthy weight. My husband and I just recently decided we were going to have a weight-loss surgery. We went to a seminar our insurance provider sent us to talking about the sleeve, lap band, and gastric bypass. We went in thinking we wanted the lap band and left wanting the gastric bypass. We are just now starting six months of "counseling" that they require before getting the surgery done. I would love to learn as much as I can now while preparing over the next six months and also hope to drop 30-50 lbs in the process as well. Has anyone had the gastric bypass? Please share your stories, advice, anything! Thanks!

Replies

• monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I havee not had anything myself but two very close friends (co-workers) have had each of two. I'd def recommend from an outsider if you're going to risk it & get the surgery instead of losing it on your own, go for the gastric bypass!!

My friend who had the lap band totally cheated- she'd ea little amounts but very often. In fat one time she went & got her band loosened (you can get it tightened and loosened which i think is terrible because most people in that situation dont have discipline its too easy to cheat and too tempting, i know i would!). So she loosned her band before a trip and ended up eating so much (not binging just more than she should have) that the lab band BROKE inside of her & she had to have an emergency surgery to remove it when she returned home. It was a scary thing & I saw her cheat her way around it a lot. PLUS she never lost much weight, like 25 lbs in 6 months- to me that snothing for such a drastic procedure.

My friend who had the gastric (about 1 month ago) is already down 52 lbs and looks great! I always tell her that her meals are "cute" because its this tiny food in little containers but theres really no way to cheat it- your stomach is that big period, its a permenent way to live.

Those are my thoughts! :)
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    My bestfriend had her gastric bypass a few ago and is already down 30 pounds I think. Her recovery time was really fast. You can't really even see the incision marks on her stomach. She was in basically no pain 4 or 5 days after. She can only eat like 4 bites before she is full, she said this is just because she just got the surgery, eventually she can hold a few ounces of food at a time. She is really glad she went through with it.
  • LaLaLewi
    LaLaLewi Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you for all of your information. I definitely agree with everything you're saying. There was definitely more risk with the lap band with not as high of a weight-loss achievement. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm glad you'e here.

I had my surgery (the gastric bypass) on December 6, 2010. I'm at about 4 months out. I'm sooooo glad I had it done.

I'll friend you and talk to more at length privately.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2003. I lost 80 pounds, but the sad news is I put it back on. I will be the first to admit, I did not do what I was told to do. I thought it was a free pass to eat what I like, only in smaller quantities. I joined MFP on July 5, 2010 and have managed to lose 79 pounds. This time, I decided it was a lifestyle change, not a diet. I have starting eating less processed foods, exercising and drinking lots of water. Good luck on your surgery. I know you will love it here. Feel free to add me as a friend, we can help support and motivate each other.
  • LaLaLewi
    Options
    That is amazing, I look forward to hearing from you!
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    She was considering the lapband but when she found out about the no bread or pasta EVER she said it wouldn't work. However there is no way to cheat the gastric bypass like monica said.
  • LaLaLewi
    Options
    You mean people actually live a life without bread and pasta?! :P
  • care28
    care28 Posts: 28
    Options
    I had the lap band done 3 years ago. Believe me, I know how to cheat my way around it. I've even gained a lot back in the past year. But it still restricts me. I shudder to think where I would've been after 3 years at the rate I was at pre-lab band. I have no doubt that in that time I would've gained 100 or more lbs. Instead I have hoovered/maintained in a 20 lb radius.
    I have a permenant tool that for emotional reasons I've chosen not to take advantage of over the last year, but I still have it. I can choose to use it, and I have that advantage for the rest of my life. That's not an advantage that gastirc bypassers have. I can adjust my band when the time comes for me to have my children, and after they are born, I can adjust that band right back afterwards... Growing up, baby weight was always one of my biggest fears - now it isn't.
    I would never go back and un-do getting the lap band. It has been a huge blessing. As a binge eater I used to sit in my car and eat a pizza. Sometimes I still go and get that pizza...but now it lasts me 3 meals over the course of a couple days. The change is huge even if the scale didn't change drastically.
    Just my thoughts. Whatever you choose, you'll see your life change. You're life is about to change! I'm totally excited for you!!
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My sister had the lap band. She loves that she loses weight without having to exercise. But she still doesn't eat as healthy as she should. She's lost 80 or so pounds (probably more by now) but if she eats too much, she barfs. I guess I just think that if you have the discipline to have to stay on the liquid diet before for however long that is, you might as well just eat healthier to begin with.

My dad was pressuring me to get the lap band and I refused. Actually, not just my dad, my whole family. They all said to me "Why are you saying no? If we had the choice, we'd do it in a heartbeat!" But this comes from people who have absolutely no control. I KNEW how to lose weight, I just needed to get the willpower.
  • jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the lap band and have had it for about a year. There is no bread and meat tends to be hard to digest. I wouldnt change having it but it also can be gone around by drinking soda. Its not fool proof. You can eat a little often. Even with the lap band you have to work on your diet. My parents had gastric and have gained it all back. I have steadily lost.
  • jssw2000
    jssw2000 Posts: 15
    Options
    I had the gastric bypass in October of 03' and yes I'm here of course to lose weight but because of life circumstances and a great son after the surgery I never hit my final goal. I have however with a few ups and down managed to keep off the initial 130 lbs that I lost with the surgery and I would not go back on it for the world. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

However, I do know plenty of people that it did not work out this way for and gained weight back or did not lose. It is a very hard thing to keep with and a lot of work. it is truly a life long change, please friend me and if you need anything or want to know anything I would be more then happy to try and help.

I think its a decision you need to truly think about and consider, it is a change that you have to make for the rest of your entire life, but the best decision I have ever made.
  • jssw2000
    jssw2000 Posts: 15
    Options
    I just read some more of the posts, and someone made a comment that there is no way to cheat the gastric bypass, that is not true. You can and people have. I can eat just about anything I want but choose not to. I do at times and pay the price by not feeling good. But you can cheat it and you can condition your body to go back to eating what you always did, it is not a quick fix that you will not eat again. At the beginning you don't want to eat, which the thought of not wanting to eat was unconceivable to me when I first started researching it but once I had it it's amazing how you just don't want the food. But you can go back and it is hard work, it's not an end all I'm going to be thin and not have to work.

I would recommend it to anyone who is serious, but there are plenty of downfalls as well I will take my health anyday but now instead of a ton of fat on me (which I do still have a bit to go) I have a ton of hanging skin, it's not a decision you make for looks, its a decision you have to make to be healthy.
  • bootoou
    bootoou Posts: 22
    Options
    I have had the lapband since Sept 2006 I lost 100 lbs and kept it off for 4 years, still needed to loose another 50 instead of following the healthy lifestyle I ate chips and junk and still maintained but, was working out and not loosing, talk about frustrating well I joined a program to eat clean and I am now on the downward slide I still have my band. It is loosened up some and I will go back and have it adjusted when I get the eating under controll. another poster said it has been a huge blessing I second that it helps me still when I think I can just eat the whole pizza, bread and pasta does go down it just makes you stop at a reasonable portion.... I used to eat 2 quarter pounder with cheese large fry and a pop. now I can maybe eat 1/2 of 1 and a few fries. but mcdonalds is not part of my diet anymore because clean food tastes so much better and is more satisfying... good luck on your journey and remember any of the tools we are given are not fool proof. alot of people learn how to go back to the bad way of eating and sabatoge themselves after loosing so much weight...I think it is great they are having you do counceling, because until you change the way you look at food your habits and cravings will return.
  • wwh140
    wwh140 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have had gastric bypass surgery. Some had no problems at all with the surgery and were only 'down' a few days to a week and others had lots of problems from feeling terrible, lots of pain, severe nausea and vomiting. They did all lose weight initially, but then after about a year or so starting regaining. You still have to make a lifestyle change and not depend on the surgery to be an easy way out. My friends that have had this surgery have said they would recommend it to others but they would stress that you really have to do what the doctor's tell you and that is eat healthy and exercise. Good luck with your decision!
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm back. I've been reading through some of the posts and realized that there are still a LOT of misconceptions about the gastric bypass.

1. You CAN eat bread .... it just expands in your stomach and fills you up SUPER fast. It acts like a sponge. Since you want to add nutrients to your diet ... you'll probably skip the bread and make healthier choices. I haven't tried pasta ..... yet.

2. Gastric Bypass is not the end all, magic treatment for obesity. You DO have to work at it to continue to lose weight and/or to maintain the weight you have lost. Initially you lose a lot of weight quickly. But it slows down by about month 3 or 4. So you have to adopt a healthier way of eating and exercise. Just like anybody else. You have to make lifestyle changes.

I eat tiny bits of just about everything. Meat is difficult. My first attempt at chicken was horrible ... I threw up all night ... and didn't have much in my stomach to throw up ... so I just kept throwing up foam. Nasty :noway:

Sugar is "iffy" depending on the person. Sugar can send you into "dumping syndrome" rather quickly. But not everyone gets the same reaction to sugar. My co-worker can eat sugar without a problem. But she doesn't eat much at a time. She'll by one candy bar and divide it up for 3 or 4 days. The only sugar I tried was for some dark 95% cocoa chocolate. I ate two squares for about 65 calories and didn't like it at all. So that was my experience with sugar. I won't be trying it again. A friend who had the same surgery ate a piece of a fruit torte (crust, vanilla pudding, fruit) and was in the bathroom for an hour after just 5 minutes!

Gastric Bypass is NOT cheating and it's not the lazy person's way to lose weight. It's a tool that helps you to eat smaller portions. You have to take a lot of supplements or you'll lose hair and become malnourished. You have to do the work if you want to continue losing weight and get healthy. The people with gastric bypass who have regained their weight didn't follow their surgeons recommendations. It's as simple as that.

Gastric Bypass + Healthy Food Choices and Exercise = Continued weight loss, muscle toning and better health.

Gastric Bypass + Old Food Choices and No exercise = Initial weight loss, then regain of pounds lost.

Whatever you do .... I wish you the very best in your weight loss journey.

Just remember, whatever you choose requires effort on your part to lose and/or maintain.
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    I've watched two women in my life go through gastric bypass to try to lose weight. Both were severely overweight at the start (per the definition required to get the insurance companies to give a damn). Both had some success, and some very rude awakenings about how "easy" this is to live with for the rest of their lives.

Some basics: for the gastric bypass to work, you WILL adopt a high protein, low carb diet, for the rest of your life. Your digestive system cannot process enough protein if it doesn't get what it needs. It cannot process enough vitamins without supplements, every day. Big horse-pills of supplements. White sugar and white carbs will still absorb just fine. Your small remainder of a stomach will balk at things (at least at the start) and try to stop you from cheating. It will stretch out over time and make that cheating easier. You MUST be willing to change your diet permanently for this to work. So then you should be asking yourself - do you need the surgery at all? I don't know. If you can change your diet without the surgery, you should have similar results. Without compromising your body's ability to eat normally and process nutrients. I don't have the answers here, I just know, and want to make it very, very clear, that surgery is not the magic wand that makes all things better.

Wife 1 - started around 315. Had her duodenal switch surgery in Nov. Had a pre-existing sore on her tongue diagnosed as stage-4 cancer one month later. (NOTHING to do with the surgery, very bad coincidence.) By Feb she was on chemo and radiation, and had a feeding tube implanted directly into her detached fork of her intestines. (And went through a lot of extra trouble getting that done, because of how complicated the surgery had made her insides.) She lived on a 1750 calorie liquid diet for the remainder of her 18 months. She had dropped below 200 lbs by the end, but with that enforced diet, she would have anyway.

Wife 2 - started around 365. Had her bypass surgery and tries to stick to the diet, but still has lots of problems with not counting calories, sneaking small sweet snacks, and so on. She dropped to a low of 290ish and is currently back up closer to 320. We are both working on MFP together now. I started for myself back in Feb and by tracking my diet closely here, was able to loose 15 lbs (big deal, I know, but that's what I needed to lose). She's watching more carefully, knows that I help watch too. We plan meals together and try to stick to them.

Looking over my shoulder, she just added: "It bothers me more than anything else that people think this is the easy way out. If it was easy, I'd be skinny! I personally think I'd be more successful if I took care of my head before I took care of my gut. I never took care of what got me heavy in the first place." She is currently seeing a nutritionist and a therapist to cope with the emotional issues that led to her comfort eating and her current weight.

She adds: "What I recommend to my friends considering a bypass, is to eat a bypass diet for a week, see if you can stick to it, and see if you can lose weight without the surgery."
  • LaLaLewi
    Options
    Thanks everyone who responded to this! In the week I've been on MFP I've learned so much about so many different areas, including WLS. Thank you all!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    No matter what route you decide to take it is a LIFE LONG journey. There is no easy or quick fix.

I had gastric bypass in 12 of 2006. I weighed 397 pounds. In 2 years I got down to 175 where I stabalized. I was fine with that. I knew I would never get to 130 and probably not even 150 without having plastic surgery to remove all the extra skin around my middle. I have before pic on my profile. I think it is open to the public. IF not just send me a freind request.

It was the best decision I ever made. My recovery was easy and it forced me to learn to eat. To this day if I eat too fast or do not chew my food well it will get "stuck" and make me feel ill for hours. I chose GPS over lapband bacause I knew I would do what others have said and manipulate my way around it. I needed permanent.

I am on MFP now because, as I said, this is a life long journey. I had my firstborn son at the age of 39 (would not have been possible for me 4 years ago) and am now working on getting "baby" weight off. But, 20 pounds vs the 200 I lost before should be a breeze LOL. I set my goal here at 150 even though I will be happy back at 175.

GL to you and your SO!
  • ncarrico
    ncarrico Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,

I had my gastric bypass in Jan/2008 and weighted 133,8Kg and 1.82m height, back and knee pain, high blood pressure etc.
    Since then i went down to 75Kg but it was too skinny, I hit the gym for the last year and managed to go up to 80kgswith no fat increase.
    Gastric bypass is no magic, you have to change your lifestyle also. Yes, I can eat everything l just look at calorie intake vs exercise, that's why I'm here on MFP :)
    If you have any specific questions fell free to ask:)

regards
    Nuno