Vibram Five Fingers anyone???

Options
Looking to get feedback from anyone who wears them...What do you wear them for; running, x-training? Do you over-pronate?

Replies

• susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    bump
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes - love them love them love them!

They take a while to get used to so you need to start off slowly.

I walk in them and have a fairly neutral foot. They are supposed to be ideal for running on grass, rock climbing and boating, but I am yet to try them for that.

I wouldnt recommend them for running on hard surfaces for long periods of time, I have friends who have done that and injured themselves.

I walk more naturally in them and enjoy the freedom I feel in them!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if you can wear them to walk on a treadmill.
    I only heard about these recently after they were mentioned on marksdailyapple.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if you can wear them to walk on a treadmill.
    I only heard about these recently after they were mentioned on marksdailyapple.

absolutely - they are great for the gym in general - from weights to treadmill but perhaps not on a bike!
  • aaronbyard
    Options
    I've been running barefoot for a while now. I just got my first pair of VFFs this week. Initially they felt like combat boots, but that got better after my first run in them. I think they're a good option for places that you can't go barefoot, like the gym or wherever else. I prefer to run barefoot, but my muscles are ready for more distance than the soles of my feet, so I do about half in VFFs and half without them.

I'm not sure if I over pronate or not. I bought a pair of nike running shoes last year. The guy at the store watched me walk to the end of the hall and back, then he went and got me a pair of shoes to try on. I've never been able to run in them, but barefoot is no problem for me. I'm going to get a pair of KSOs or Bikilas this weekend, and use my VFF classics for casual wear or random things. I think they are the next best thing to being barefoot, because you can't always be barefoot.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    From my research and reviews I've read they're amazing and in the long run really help with preventing injury while running by strengthening your legs and feet that running in regular shoes won't do.

Also its best to start using them as an alternate shoe for shorter runs and then slowly working them into your main running shoes.

As far as I know you can wear them just about anywhere.

I plan on eventually getting a pair and slowly working them in, but I have yet to actually do this so take anything I say on the matter with a grain or three of salt.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I have started using Five Fingers recently. I really like the KSOs. I have been starting to run in them (working up my foot strength). I get about 1 mile or so in them right now and will increase over time. I also use them for workout DVDs. :smile:

If you decide to try them, you need to remember to take it easy, that your foot and calf strength aren't going to be as strong using them since your body has been in shoes. You need to work up on distance slowly.

Also, your form is different. You strike fore to mid-foot instead of heel. Don't let your feet get in front of your hips or you'll be feeling some odd ankle and calf pain afterwards. Also, you don't necessarily push off your toes either, sort of lift your feet instead of pushing (then you kind of spring forward.. you'll know what I mean when you do it). That has been whats been working for me so far. :smile:

Your stride will also be a lot shorter than with running shoes.