Cookout Recipes

Options
Having a cookout Sunday at our house and just trying to get some ideas for some healthy side dishes...

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Fruit Salad is awesome! Look on the net for low fat/calorie 3 bean salad and macoroni and potato salad receipes. Cole Slaw can be done low cal and the cabage is good for you as well. Baked Beans can be ok depending on the sauce, maybe just check labels for fat, sugar, calories.

Mostly, just take small servings and record them so you know where you are at!

Good Luck and Have a great time!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Grilled asparagus, green beans, eggplant, portobello mushrooms, thick slices of tomato or onion. Drizzle with a little olive oil or cooking spray, a little salt and pepper and grill until you get some nice grill marks or until tender. Heavenly. Another thing I like is to take mushrooms, onions, zucchini, yellow squash and cut them up. Marinate overnight in fat free Italian dressing, drain and grill in a grill basket until done. It takes about 30 minutes or so over a med. flame. Any veggies you like will work but I like to use ones that will remain a little firm and not get all mushy. I forgot to add green, yellow and red peppers cut up! I knew I was forgetting something! I'll bet cauliflower and broccoli would be good too. Any combination of veg you like at your house!
    Have a lovely cook out!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Buuump. :)
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Make a black bean salsa! its REALLY good! And low cal per serving also!

1can black beans--rinsed and drained WELL!
    Lemon juice to taste
    Salt and Pepper (You can omit this, I do)
    1-2tsp Olive Oil (You can omit this also)
    Onion
    Rotel Chili's
    Garlic to taste
    Jalapeno's
    Cilantro

Mix all together. Its best when made the night before, but can be made shortly before, but make sure its cold when you serve it.

This would make a GREAT appetizer, and w/it being something low cal, be something that'll help fill you up to where you don't eat as much of the fattening stuff. :)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite simple side dishes:

Sliced cucumbers
    Grape tomatoes (halved)
    Onion (sliced thinly)
    A little sea salt & lots of black pepper
    Apple Cider Vinegar to cover

Chill for at least an hour or so before serving.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite simple side dishes:

Sliced cucumbers
    Grape tomatoes (halved)
    Onion (sliced thinly)
    A little sea salt & lots of black pepper
    Apple Cider Vinegar to cover

Chill for at least an hour or so before serving.
  • runninggirl4
    Options
    bump