Protien

Options
This is my first full week on MFP. I've lost 2.4 lbs so far which is such a great start. However, I am a bit concerned about the amount of protien the site is recommending. I have gone over on my protien by about 20 g everyday putting me between 55 and 60g daily. I'm not sure what I could do to take in less protien or if this is even something I should be stressing over. I have been working out for an hour everynight, which I noticed has allowed for more protien on the recommendations. But I still tend to go over a bit. Is this ok or am I sabotaging myself by going over on my protien? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    More protein isn't going to hurt you. If anything, it will probably help, as you'll tend to feel fuller, longer from protein than you would from carbs or fat.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    MFP set proeing percentages very low. You can change the settings by going into change goals and then choosing to do it manually. I eat over 100 grams everyday and I am doing fine.
  • davesqueen
    Options
    according to my fitness instructor, more protein is better for you when you excercise daily. BUT you have to consume a little more water to get rid of the waste...otherwise you can get protein kidney stones.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough, actually. You need a little over 1g of protein per pound of weight, if you are doing any kind of strength or endurance training.

I consume over 150g a day (which is lower than I need), and I'm still doing well. Whatever your body doesn't use is just flushes from your system. Just remember to drink plenty of water to help keep your kidneys happy.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You don't want to take in less! Protein is what keeps you fuller longer so don't worry about 60gr per day.
  • DeannaOnline
    DeannaOnline Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My fitness trainer and my dietition both requested I eat 140 to 160 g of protein per day - and it's hard for me to get that much in (it's just a goal though) - I usually end up at over 100 though. If you are trying to replace fat with muscel as you lose it then you need more protein. Other wise your weight might go down (at least at first) but your body fat percentage could stay the same.
    140-160 might be too much if you are not working out a lot and doing resistance training - but what the site recommends is too low - you can edit it and put your own goal in though based on your personal goals.
  • tracylesq
    tracylesq Posts: 12
    Options
    How do you get so much protein in without going over your calories, carbs and fat?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from Greek Yogurt 0% fat, Protein Powder, and Egg Whites. Oh, and I don't worry about carbs at all I fat only a little. I basically focus on high fiber and higher protein.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    don't worry if you go over on anything make it protein.
    Keeps you full longer, and supports your muscle building.
    I customize my settings and eat 50% carbs, 20% protein and %30 fat...this allows me to not worry about going over anything
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    How do you get so much protein in without going over your calories, carbs and fat?

Like rileysowner mentioned...you can do it, you just have to make smart decisions.

I also employ the use of protein powder. It's an easy way to add in some more calories, without extra carbs, fat, sodium, etc. A good, clean powder allows me to customize it to what I need. Post workout, I can add some sugars, sodium and carbs...if I just want more protein, I can add it to non-fat milk, cottage cheese, cereal, etc and be happy.
  • jadebugs
    jadebugs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I too am having the same problem. 1st week on here and i just cant get my protien down , but i am low on everything else.
    so great question!!! thanks
  • mindspinmegs311
    mindspinmegs311 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For the average healthy human being the American Dietetic Association recommends 15-20% of your calories be from protein, or between 0.8-1 g of protein per kg of body weight (1lbs = 2.2kg)

If you are doing strength training and trying to build muscle I would suggest a little more protein, between 1-1.2g/kg or 20-25% of calories.

Ideally, you need 50-60% of your calories from carbohydrate because that is your body's main source of fuel and energy. It's what your brain likes to use - actually, it's all your brain will use! Fat is usually 25-35% (yes, higher than protein - we NEED fat, and fat in your diet doesn't necessarily make you fat) and like I said previously protein is 15-20%, usually.

It's all very individualized and dependent upon your goals. Too much protein is not good for you just as too little protein is not good for you. It's all about balance. :)