Help! I need higher calories!

Options
OK I know this is weird but I am not getting enough calories in during the day. I had gastric bypass 7 years ago and never hit my goal and started to gain again. I joined MFP 50 days ago and each day I am barely getting over 1200 calories. I am allowed to eat 1660 and burn 8-900 every day doing Tae Bo. I know that I most likely have put my body in starvation mode because I can not eat enough. I need some ideas as to how to boost my calories, I tried today and got to mid afternoon when I ate an apple that killed my stomach so I couldn't eat dinner. The nausea has just now calmed down but its almost bed time and I don't want to eat a big meal now. I will have a protein bar that will put me over 1200 for today. My diary is open so if you want to look feel free but don't use today as my usual!!

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Get some calorie dense but healthy options like nuts, nut butters, avocado etc.
  • zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, healthy oils.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I couldn't view your diary, but try having some lean protein, protein shakes (I can help you with a recipe or 2 if you need it), nuts, greek yogurt, lean ground turkey, whole wheat bread or pasta. These things should help you reach your calorie goals. You could also have some all natural pb on a slice of bread with a banana.
  • ronchap
    ronchap Posts: 60
    Options
    protein bars,nuts,almond butter
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Naan bread is 170 calories per serving. That is only half of a piece, and I always want a whole peice. I buy the whole wheat version and it is just as tasty as the regular. I think it is also called Indian fry bread. I eat it plain but if you need to you could warm it up and put butter or olive oil on it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Low sugar Protein shakes are high in calories (about 220-250 for 14oz), they are relatively easy to "eat" and will help up your cal count while giving you protein to boot!

Nuts, Avacados, and especially peanut butter mmm! All high in calories and healthy choices.

I wish you luck!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I think you need to go to obesityhelp.com They have numerous Help sites for people with every type of WLS. People with WLS digest food and Nutrients sooo much differently than someone who has Not had WLS, also, your stomach may be Dramatically reduced and you may get ill from eating high calories and certain types of food. I also know that there is a regimen of vitamins that someone with WLS MUST take. Someone who has NOT had WLS cannot advise you and Specifically, YOUR Type of WLS.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Are drinks easier on your system? How about protein drinks or something like ensure?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, brown rice, lean ground beef and if you don't mind the fat, whole milk...
  • mssw18
    mssw18 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have been having the same problem and this post has helped. thank you guys :)