"days off"??

Options
I know WW and so many others encourage days off with almost binge like eating that I have witnessed. I also have seen a lot of people gain back nearly every pound they have lost or more? What do you think about a day off? Does it help confuse the metabolism or just slow the whole process down by however much you have just binged on? I don't binge, but there are days that I am just plain HUNGRY and wonder if it isn't my body telling me to eat more once in a while. What do you think?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest a whole "day off" and certainly not binge eating! But it is ok to treat yourself every now and then, so you don't feel deprived!
  • charmsangel13
    charmsangel13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I have a day off its more like having a rest day from the gym or relaxing my calories and eating some of that chocolate. It makes you feel like you can still enjoy that little indulgence every now and then but still keep on track of your weight loss goals. Of course if I am craving something, such as a cheeseburger (200 cals - 40 mins work) I'll go work it off and then eat it. Good luck!! :)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I take a "meal off," but I'll probably exercise that morning. Jackie Warner (from the show "Thintervention") has a book where she encourages two cheat meals per week, but with the following qualifications:
    - Eat "clean" for your other meals
    - Keep up your exercise as usual
    - Don't go over 1500 calories in one meal
    - Throw away leftovers

I've been doing 1-2 cheat meals a week, and I'm still losing inches.

Good luck!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I've given up on WW and South Beach and all those other "fad" diets. Weight loss needs to be a lifestyle change. If not, we'll just gain back everything we've worked so hard to lose. I have been losing weight slowly, but I know I didn't gain it all overnight. It happened with a "little cheat here" or "a day off there". I don't deprive myself anything I want in moderation, even if it means going a little over my calories, but I'm completely against a "diet holiday". It's the same as taking a holiday from life. But, that's just my opinion :)
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I relax a bit during the weekends with my family. I don't binge but I increase my caloric intake to maintenance level. I have been loosing weight steadily and have not noticed any ill effects of eating more. In fact I feel really good and relaxed about it. I might make pancakes for breakfast, we might get a pizza etc. Learning to eat without overeating and enjoying a meal with my family is very important to me.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

- Throw away leftovers

I would have a hard time with that one! lol
  • nessasbutterflykisses
    Options
    Every time I have "days off" I do the yo-yo affect gain weight an lose it again.so I would say eat more protein stuff to stay fuller longer or the old drink a full of glass water before every meal trick gets me full..
  • hnwebb82
    hnwebb82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've given myself "free days" twice in the 2 1/2 months I've been using MFP. I usually start the day as I normally would, then don't worry about dinner or if I have any alcohol. The second time I did this, I really think it helped. I lost half a pound in the week or two before, then lost 2 1/2 the week after. I probably won't do it often, but was surprised and happy with the results.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely picking cheat meals instead of cheat days. I do enjoy myself every now and then, but I find that if I take a whole day and just go crazy I feel like crap.

When I was really on top of my game, I'd allow myself a couple cheat meals a week. I'd have the burger and fries or pizza twice a week, but eat really healthy and clean the rest of the week. I lost about 10 lb :)
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I give myself a day off each week (usually on the weekends), but I do NOT allow myself to binge. I feel so gross when I too much food in one day. The most calories I have gone over by is 250, and that's when I was only eating 1200 a day. I think it helps me stay motivated. If I am craving something on Tuesday I tell myself I can have it on my cheat day. And when my cheat day comes around, most of the time I don't even want it. Like this week I have wanted a chocolate old fashioned doughnut for some reason. My cheat day will be on Sunday, so when my fiance and I go to meet his parents for lunch, we will be stopping at a gas station for a doughnut if I still want one. I'll probably make him eat half since I really don't need it all, but at least I get my fix.
  • lgarrett8
    Options
    Hi Crystal, when I start feeling deprived, I may go off my diet for 1 meal. My husband and I may go out to eat somewhere but I try to eat something halfway healthy until I reach my goal weight. I like Applebee's meals under 550 calories or a salad with fat-free dressing. When I get to the point of maintaining, I can eat a meal of whatever I want when I need a little break, but I can't take a whole day off.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When you decide to have a treat that is a choice....."binge eating" is out of control behaviour. I think they are different things. I also am working really hard on not having an "on and off diet mentality".......I have done that for years. I see this as a path to improvement in the way I treat myself not as a way to now be perfect. I think the idea you have to always be perfect can make you feel deprived and miserable. I also think that you can usually fit treats into your calorie count and that most of the time planning helps you to stay in your goal range for calories. I personally eat over my calorie goal every once and a while......for me that is just part of life but, I always record it no matter how high of calories I ate so I can see it and own it.
  • mollycheeprock
    mollycheeprock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have done "cheat days" but I still end up pretty close to the daily caloric intake requirements... not on purpose, but it just ends up happening that way. I may decide to do cheat meals like someone above me suggested instead.
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    To be honest, I would hate life if I didn't have a cheat day. HOWEVER I do believe that you really shouldn't be giving them to urself in the beginning.
    Within ur goal, have mini goals. Everyone has their ideal weight they wanna get to (main goal) and then the steps in between. So for example, allow urself a cheat day after losing 15 lbs if ur goal is 30. Cheat days aren't just to go nuts on, but make that day ur day where u can give urself a lil' treat. Just don't ever go overboard. Then ur not helping urself at all. Switch the day up if u know u have an event coming where u might go over ur calories.

That's my belief on it. Also, after changing ur lifestyle, a lot of ppl tend to be disgusted with a lot of bad foods anyway. I've already found I'm not really caring to eat a sloppy cheese burger like I used to.
  • neesono
    neesono Posts: 61
    Options
    Extra Creamy Redi Whip for the win! That is my cheat food. It's not healthy but it's not going to kill your daily goals either. There is virtually nothing bad in it when you consider how much of it you can eat and how good it tastes.

That stuff must be made from baby unicorn tears or something. It is a miracle food...well for your cheat days anyway :-)