Eating late?

Options
have you ever eating late like 11pm or midnight? I'm up now and I have the need for a small bowl of cereal at 11pm. Is that bad to have if I'm having breakfast at like 7 orn8am?

Replies

• ChelseyGray
    Options
    I like eating late too.
  • toriellithorpe
    Options
    It all depends on what time you go to bed. Problems arise if you always eat late because when you eat shortly before bed, your body is no longer moving and hence doesn't get a chance to burn off that food by even moderate activity like walking around your house. My doctor told me to make sure not to eat within 2 hours of going to bed.
  • aaronjarvis
    aaronjarvis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ive always been told not to eat after 6 pm, I don't believe it. Everyone's body is different. If Im up at 11 or so & Im hungry, I will eat a small healthy snack. Your body is talking to you, sometimes you have to listen. Everything comes down to moderation & healthy eating. and exercise of course.

Just don't over do it late night. Even drinking a few glasses of water when hunger strikes, will trick your body. Might take the hunger away.

Good luck!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    eat when you can, workout when you can, if it fits in your calories for the day eat whenever you want, if your body can handle it, some folks get restless with a big workout just before bed, for me it helps me sleep more deeply. Eating right before bed if it's light it doesn't affect me, I'd not suggest a big meal immediately before laying down but do what works for you.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in calories in/calories out and no one's ever given me a clear explanation of why it would matter WHEN you eat the calories. I know some say the calories turn to fat b/c you're less active; however, I've also heard your body burns more calories while you're asleep (versus simply being sedentary) b/c the body expends energy healing while you sleep. This is the explanation I've heard for why people who don't get enough sleep tend to weigh more than those who sleep 8-9 hours/night (all other factors being equal of course).
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I workout at night and then have dinner, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I am losing weight. I think the biggest issue with people eating at night is that they've already eaten dinner and then they're eating unhealthy snacks. If you're hungry you should eat a bowl of cereal rather than going to bed hungry.