diet and alcohol

Options
I have just started now for a little over a week. I have one major problem. I socially drink daily with my friends. I know that maybe I should seek AA but for now I have just stayed away from the happy hours with friends. My question is until I can handle going out with my friends and not drinking is there any low calorie alcohol that anyone can suggest. I totally blew my calorie intake today by just having two drinks. :frown:

Replies

• aaronjarvis
    aaronjarvis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Vodka & OJ. Not bad on calories at all.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I drink socially with friends every weekend, but I try to stay away from the high cal. cocktails (not that I always succeed:devil: But usually I just drink a couple of Captain and diet cokes (60 cal. each) and also try to make sure to burn some extra calories at the gym to make up for it. I've heard Jackie Warner (Thintervention) recommend tequila and water on her show, but i don't like tequila.

Good luck!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Liquor can add up really quick especially if you mix it with something sweet. I like beer and Bud Light Lime (my fav) is like 120 cals per bottle. That being said, I know that alcohol can mess up your metabolism and should be avoided as much as possible. I haven't had a drink in two months (I don't have a social life anyway) but will be going out next weekend with friends for my birthday!!!! I already know I'll be bad that night, but I deserve it!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here have recommended vodka and diet pepsi/coke. I tried that the other night and it was really good. I think it's only about 60 calories or so. White zinfandel isn't too bad either!
  • tiffanygarrett
    Options
    Thanks for the Vodka tip...cause that is my drink of choice...!!!!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    well, the alcohol is the same calories, ounce for ounce, no matter what you drink. It's really what else is in the drink. You can guess 70-100 cals for any diet soda plus one ounce of hard stuff (Vodka, Whiskey, Tequila, etc) or for a dry white wine. It's the beer, sweet mixers and non-dry wines that can kill you with calories.
  • lbragg
    lbragg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Vodka, club soda, splash of juice! :drinker:
  • khuber360
    khuber360 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I'm 'trying to be good' it's Stoli Vodka & H2O w/ 2 slices of lemon.
    Plain Stoli has 64 cals & 1 carb per ounce.
    Soda and/or juices just add more sugar, carbs and cals.
  • tiffanygarrett
    Options
    thanks everyone so far for the tips....I think I was way off count with the calories that I assumed was in each drink...maybe I didn't consume as many calories as I thought... You guys are great ....thanks again
  • eau_de_vie
    eau_de_vie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A liquor and calorie free mixer is your best bet. Just be careful...b/c a lot of the calorie counts on this site assume 1oz of liquor when actually the general bar serving is 1.5-2oz. To be sure of exactly what you are getting, order a bottled or canned beverage.
  • LaurenGiannelli
    Options
    I usually drink vodka and light cranberry with a splash of lime. I heard the more distilled the vodka the less the calories but don't quote me on that. If you dare you can try vodka water with lime. Actually not that bad. Hope that helps!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I just invented a drink tonight. Vodka and MIO. 70 calories a shot. Yummy!:drinker:
  • flash53
    flash53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think a shot is around 60 to 80 calories. Mix that with diet not a bad choice. I believe miller light is about 90 calories and there is one beer that has 64 calories I think it is miller 64.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I say, hold the ice. :bigsmile:

(But I have issues so don't listen to me) :embarassed:
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    I tried the budweiser 55 calories beer tonight,and it really wasn't bad. I am just not a liquor drinker.
  • ChelseyGray
    Options
    Spiced rum is 60 calories a shot. Not the best, but not the worst. I used to drink it with diet coke and extra ice. But I've cut out alcohol now.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    I just invented a drink tonight. Vodka and MIO. 70 calories a shot. Yummy!:drinker:
    Thanks for sharing that! I prefer vodka and I'm waiting on my MIO sample!!
  • ChelseyGray
    Options
    I mean, Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is 60 calories.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do if you are trying to lose weight, is to try slowly to cut back on alcohol. It is not the small amount of calories that you will consume with a "Jack and Diet Coke" it is also the fact that studies show that alcohol does a number on your metabolism. Your metabolism is key to weight loss. You can go out without drinking "every night".
  • ChelseyGray
    Options
    Alcohol Type Calorie Content
    Pint of beer 180
    Glass of red wine 120
    Glass of white wine 116
    Glass of Champagne 95
    Pint of cider 200
    1 shot of Vodka 50
    1 shot of Rum 50
    1 shot of Whiskey 50
    Cream Liqueur 160