different kind of motivation

Options
GGut
GGut Posts: 94 Member
So, i work on an ambulance and quite often they put me and my partner on the bariatric unit. i guess this is because im one of the bigger guys in the company and i can lift a bit more.

anyway. i dont wanna sound rude, or insensitive, but if you get hurt and call 911 and your overweight, the ambulance has to call for assistance. this takes more time and people.

this impedes on the critical time called the golden hour which is the max amount of time a 911 call should take. it simply means that emergency medical services will be delayed and will possibly by putting you in even more danger.

the bariatric unit carries a large and uncomfortable stretcher. this stretcher, unike regular stretchers, has no rails which makes it a bit more unsafe.

Well i guess i was just posting this so that none of you have to end up on this stretcher and so that those of us who are big enough for it are motivated to not be on it. (i took a seat on it today and i feared that if i kept my previous lifestyle up, that i wouldnt have a choice to get off of it)

being overweight is unhealthy enough.... being overweight in an emergency is even worse. thats my motivation to shed pounds!

( the pictures dont really do a justice, but just understand that this is a huge stretcher...)

2011-04-08_16-10-12_365.jpg

and here i am on it. im 6'1, 250+ lbs and we dont put people under 300 on it. you can see how much room i alrewady take up.
2011-04-08_16-10-25_478.jpg

Replies

• GGut
    GGut Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    sorry, maybe someone can tell me how to resize...
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    tell you how to resize?

Use MFP!!!

:)
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    tell you how to resize?

Use MFP!!!

:)
    :laugh: but in all seriousness that jeopardizes the health of those lifting too. Thanks for sharing a view most might not think about.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i know it well.
    we used to have to call the emt's ALL the time for my moms (now late) husband. we would always have to tell them to send the "big boy chair". & with that came the fire dept. because it took 6 men to lift him in the ambulance! after a while they knew us well & would automatically come with the big boy chair & the fire dept without having to ask for it. so sad
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've gotta give you props for being part of the Bariatric unit. Personally if it were me and I had an emergency and they had to a) cut a wall out of my house or B) it too more then the crew of one ambulance to lift me I would be incredibly motivated to adopt a healthier lifestyle.