MFP Runners Club 11/2

Options
Wow...2 days in a row I have started the thread....thats a first!

My legs were still feeling the burn from yesterdays 6 miles in the morning and then I walked 3 miles last night. We only ran 3 this morning but clipped along at a pretty decent pace.

Hope you are all having a beautiful Sunday!!

Happy Running!

Ali

Replies

• alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    Wow...2 days in a row I have started the thread....thats a first!

My legs were still feeling the burn from yesterdays 6 miles in the morning and then I walked 3 miles last night. We only ran 3 this morning but clipped along at a pretty decent pace.

Hope you are all having a beautiful Sunday!!

Happy Running!

Ali
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ali, you seem to be the early bird this weekend. :flowerforyou:
    No run for me today, resting from my 14.5 miles yesterday. (Actually, I am recovering more from running in the dark Thursday and catching my foot on some uneven pavement, and stumbling forward totally off balance and off stride, trying to avoid a face plant. My left hamstring and glute are still really tight from that). So plenty of stretching and maybe a yoga workout and some upper body stuff later.
    Have a good one.
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I WISH I could run more than 10 minutes at a time. How do you guys do it? I really want to go for a long period of time but seem to have shortness of breath a lot!:ohwell:
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I WISH I could run more than 10 minutes at a time. How do you guys do it? I really want to go for a long period of time but seem to have shortness of breath a lot!:ohwell:
    Try by alternating running and walking. walk five minutes, run one minute,repeat. Gradually, you can increase your run time while decreasing your walk time. Check out the Galloway training method for workout programs.
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will try that and report back after a while....thanks a bunch!:wink:
  • jdtrainer
    Options
    Hello runners,

I ran in the Komen Race for the Cure 5k this morning. We had close to 25,000 participants in Austin. It was a great run and a great cause! I ran 25;23 which is my best time since being diagnosed with cardiovascular disease almost one year ago, and actually my best time in 6 years. Hooray for running!!!

Good runs to all,
    JD
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Good job JD :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hello runners,

I ran in the Komen Race for the Cure 5k this morning. We had close to 25,000 participants in Austin. It was a great run and a great cause! I ran 25;23 which is my best time since being diagnosed with cardiovascular disease almost one year ago, and actually my best time in 6 years. Hooray for running!!!

Good runs to all,
    JD

Good for you & WTG on the great time!!!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    6 mile run for me!!! I think my achilles tendon is HEALED!!! WOOHOO!! Run felt great and it was 50*. I made the mistake of wearing capris and long sleeves w/out checking the weather first, I was sooo hot!! (I normally wear shorts til it's below 40*)

Feeling great and made sure to stretch well!!

Jess
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hello runners,

Good runs to all,
    JD

Nice, JD! Congrats on running for an awesome cause and getting a great time ta'boot!
  • hessied
    Options
    Had my 13-mile long run today. Finished in 1 hour and 58 minutes, which gives me confidence that I'll do ok in my upcoming 1/2. It's funny when you're running longer distances how you can feel awesome one minute and the next you can be dying of a side stitch and really struggling to keep it going. No one ever said this running craziness would be easy, I guess! :ohwell:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Had my 13-mile long run today. Finished in 1 hour and 58 minutes, which gives me confidence that I'll do ok in my upcoming 1/2. It's funny when you're running longer distances how you can feel awesome one minute and the next you can be dying of a side stitch and really struggling to keep it going. No one ever said this running craziness would be easy, I guess! :ohwell:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! The other day bf and I were out for a 4 miler and were making great time for us (almost race pace) and we were just chatting away and all of a sudden I got the MOMMA of all side-stitches, I could feel it all the way up my back! I thought I wasn't going to make it but within 5 minutes was back to normal LOL. :tongue:

Today we're going for 8 miles, this will be the longest one yet. I'm excited! 7 was easy last weekend, but we are bringing a couple Fig Newtons with us and leaving a bottle of water on the trail to pick up on the way back so we don't have to carry it the whole way.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Our group went out this morning for a trail run to practice for the mud run next weekend. I don't know how many miles we did, maybe about 5. The trail we ran was in the woods and very rocky. I twisted my ankle a few times but nothing major. We have some pics of us doing some other things like climbing on a log over the creek and crawling up the hill under some longs. We even ran in the creek through a tunnel to see how it would be. When I get them I will post them. Next week we plan to get a water proof camera and take pictures of the race. It should be a blast, I just hope it is warm.

JD, congrats on your excellent time.

hessied, are you doing the 1/2 in Philly on the 23rd? I think my next long race will be the Broad Street run in May. I have to work on my speed though. We run the loop around Peace Valley and my best time was 58 minutes for the 6 miles but I really had someone pushing me.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    JD-We ran the same race!! Turns out, you me and ratty are in the same vicinity. Awesome time!

I didn't do as well as I wanted to, but it was a beautiful day to run!
  • nuctec
    nuctec Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am tapering to run the Seacoast 1/2 marathon next a week from today. Stupid thing I did...last Friday I over did my lower weight training and I am really sored. Do you think it will affect my race?
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I am tapering to run the Seacoast 1/2 marathon next a week from today. Stupid thing I did...last Friday I over did my lower weight training and I am really sored. Do you think it will affect my race?
    Nah, you have time to recover. Lots of stretching every day, an easy run Tuesday and Thursday, just to keep loose. I find taking glutamine helps me recover faster when I overdo it like that. Taking some ibuprofen may help with the stretching too if you're really sore
  • nuctec
    nuctec Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am already taking advil and trying streching. I will try the glutamine. Will see on Sunday. Thanks again.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Our 8 miles went great tonight!! For the last 3, we didn't even feel our legs. My stomach did not respond well to eating a Fig Newton at mile 4 and right before the run, so I still need to work on taking in carbs while I run. :sick: We took 10 seconds off our mile time from last week even though we added a mile, woohoo!
  • hessied
    Options
    Our 8 miles went great tonight!! For the last 3, we didn't even feel our legs. My stomach did not respond well to eating a Fig Newton at mile 4 and right before the run, so I still need to work on taking in carbs while I run. :sick: We took 10 seconds off our mile time from last week even though we added a mile, woohoo!

Glad you had a good run, Songbyrd. I wish I could offer you some advice on what to eat before and during your long runs. I still struggle with that. Today, for the first time ever, I ate a Power Bar (Orange Fruit Smoothie flavor) before my run, and I got to say, I actually did ok with it. My stomach did not get upset and I overall I felt pretty good. Really, i just think you have to keep experimenting and just see what works for you and your body. Good luck.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thank you! I think I may have overhydrated before my run too...I was 'sloshing' for a couple miles. Then for the last mile I really pushed it because I *had* to get to a restroom. :embarassed: My bf did fine with the Fig Newtons, which is ironic because I wanted them and he doesn't even like them. :tongue: