Does sweating mean your losing weight?!

Kimeley
Kimeley Posts: 8
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I work about 6 days a week sometimes up to 9 hour days with a cleaning company. Every day I go in clean and smelling good and by the time we get done with just one job I'm sweaty and smelling like a cow. I know I'm burning calories, I just wonder if I'm burning as much as I think. So does it sound extreme to think that just because I'm sweating I'm burning tons of cals???

Replies

• :noway: Good question. I would like to see the answers.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Our autonomic nervous system controls sweating most commonly to adjust temperature . It doesn't necessarily mean you are burning a ton of calories, although you may be..
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    I would think that sounds like an activie enough job that you would be burning calories. You could get one of the watch type heartrate monitors that gives you a calorie count and you would know for sure. Some of them are pretty cheap and would still give you a good idea about what you burn in a day!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    While I can't say that there is a direct correlation between sweat and calories, especially since some folks just aren't heavy sweaters, I know that there sorta is for me. If I'm not dripping with sweat at the end of a workout (typically stationary bike and elliptical) my caloric burn isnt nearly as high as when I'm drenched (after a run).

And I really do try my hardest on the bike and elliptical. But whereas when I first started working out, and they were all I did, since I've been running more and just doing the others on days my body just isn't up to running, they see much "easier" now. I have to ramp up the resistance a lot more on them now to really feel like I'm doing anything at all. And I still can't find the magical number that will get the sweat flowing and really feel like a solid workout like a run does. I'm always disappointed in my calorie burn after using one of those machines. Makes menwish I'd had an HRM back when I first started working out and they would make me sweat so I could see what I was burning then vs now.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    I sweat like I'm in the shower!
    I look showered before I get out of the gym let alone into the changing rooms.
    I've always been a sweaty person. :blushing:

I wear a HRM and the amount of water pouring out of me is not proportional to the calories burned :sad:

The fitter I get the more I sweat and the earlier I sweat in a workout.
    It's a cooling mechanism I think.
This discussion has been closed.