Need a good workout for people with bad hip/leg

Options
Hello
I was injured almost 2 years ago. I had my left leg crushed in an accident. I have had to have surgery on my knee and joint fluid replacement done. Also recently found out that I have had some degeneration in my lower back due also to the accident, and a tear in my cartlidge in my hip. They are unwilling to do any more surgery for fear it will hurt more then it helps. So my Dr. Recommended water aerobics, which is not possible because of where I live. I have to date gained almost 100 lbs. I have got to lose this weight somehow and have been unable to.
Any thoughts or suggestions please let me know! Thank you.

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    If there's a pool nearby, try to take up swimming (water-based exercise would be best overall).
    Otherwise, walking and biking are two good low-key options. Include these, plus strength training with weights (only the movements that don't hurt) and some yoga to help those joints, and you've got an excellent daily routine.
  • bamagirl2020
    Options
    Hi! I also have back problems, although they are not near as serious as yours. I do intervals on the treadmill and instead of increasing my speed, I increase the incline. My mother also has degenerative discs in her lower back and does inclines on the treadmill as well. Since she has been walking, she has actually seen a major reduction in back pain.
  • JLJones_2010
    Options
    Thanks guys! Well a pool is not an option out here. We don't even have a city pool. I've tried the treadmill and recumbent bike and elliptical. Problem also is that I had my calf and thigh muscles ripped so. I make it around the block and I am in so much pain that night I am almost unable to sleep. I started Zumba which includes the weights, but I make it thru a 20 minute routine 3 times a week and feel the need to medicate the other 4 due to the intensity of the pain. I am only 29 years old and have never ha da problem with my weight until the accident. I will just keep up what I have been doing and hope that it pays off. :)