Thinking of changing my goal weight

Options
When I started my diet in January, I decided on a goal weight of 125 lbs. I looked up online how to determine my frame. It said to put your fingers around the smallest part of your wrist and if your fingers and thumb over lap, you are a small frame. Okay, mine do. So I am 5'4" and a small frame. An ideal weight for me should be between 120-132 lbs. I set my goal at 125, middle of the road. I started at 162 and, as of this.week, am down to 142.7. I feel great at this weight. I am exercising regularly. My clothes are fitting loose. I was wearing a 10-12 pant size. Last week I tried on a size 6 and they fit!!! But maybe I feel so good at this weight because I was so heavy? I am not sure if another 17-18 lbs may be too thin for me. In my teens and twenties I was 105 lbs. Too thin and not healthy. I don't want to get to that point again.

Does anyone else think they my have set their goal too low?

Replies

• missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you continue to exercise and make healthy choices about what you are eating then if it is meant for you to lose weight you will and if not then you are healthy! It sounds to me like you have an awesome mind set towards it and if you are comfortable at your current weight and are healthy then that is what matters. It drives me nuts when they try to make EVERYONE fit into a certain number range there are to many different factors to consider and everyones body has its own comfort zone! GREAT JOB!
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel my goal is too low now, I may change it, I tried your finger thumb thing and they just touch so I guess that means I am large frame? So I started out at 180ish and I am now down to 144lbs and feel great at this weight but my ideal weight for my height is 130 - 135 so I put my goal as 135. Think I will change it to 140 though. I am 5'2". My legs are not toned enough so that is probably what I will work on more now is toning!!!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think your best bet is to just keep going, and where you feel comfortable, stop. If you feel comfortable here, then stop. Or you can always try for another 10 pounds and see how you feel there.
    There's never really any set formula about what weight you should be (as long as it's healthy). I was at 165 in my life, which was still overweight, but I was so damn happy going from 200 to 165, I probably could have stopped there.

If you want, you could also see a doctor, nutritionist, or dietician. They can help you out with some tests, too, to see if maybe losing more weight would be beneficial.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same predicament, although I've set my goal to be 130 lbs. My only concern at my age is wrinkles! I've noticed some people my age that have lost weight & suddenly their face/neck areas look "older." Guess it's a catch 22 - I need to lose weight, but am watching for the "dreaded" wrinkles! I'm 5'4"/small frame - but we're all built differently, so what may look good on some women, doesn't look so good on me.:huh:
  • sammyjj53
    sammyjj53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My opinion is...... According to the "US standards" of what THEY think we should be is REDICULOUS!!!! In my teens I was 170 and I am 5'7 and I felt and looked GREAT!!!! That is my goal weight again. US standards says I should be 135-159 and 160 I would be OBESE!!! Screw that. I say if you feel great and are confident with how you are then be that way!!!! Too thin is VERY unattractive.

It's all about you and how you feel!!! Not what these stupid US standards feel!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    IMHO, I think you should go with what feels "healthy"and sustainable for you. In my unhealthy days, I was 130 and a size 6. Once exercising, I was 140 to 145 in a size 4. What changed? My fat to muscle. So go with what feels good. Maybe instead of picking a spot on the scale, pick a piece of clothing that you want to be able to continue wearing. When it starts getting tight, then know that you need to up your exercise or lower your junk food. Maybe try maintaining your weight for awhile (which is a little harder than you might think) and see how you feel. Great job on the weight loss!!!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I read about the finger test to see your frame to use your pointer finger. That might affect your frame size some. There are also ways to figure it out using measurements.

Anyway, I am almost in the same boat as you. I am 5' 4.5" and am in the 140s right now. I always thought my goal weight was 135, but I am pretty happy where I am now. I would like to get to the low 140s, but I don't feel I need to get in the 130s anymore. After I did the pointer finger test, I guess I am medium size frame. I wear about a size 8. I am mostly working on fitness goals now and just tightening up (strength training). However, I would not mind being a size 6. Maybe as I tighten up, my size will change.

So, go with what your body is comfortable with. If you try to get too low, you might not be able to maintain.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I have actually been thinking this way lately myself. I am at 148.8, but only 5'2". I was actually surprised to find out I was large framed, since I am so short. So, I am only about 5 lbs away from a healthy weight for my frame. I wanted to be 125, so I am still going at it, but am justs not sure because I think i have a distorted body image of myself anyway. Anyway, there is a more accurate test of frame. Measure the circumference of your wrist, and the breadth of your elbow. Here is a link that tells you how, then you can look up for your frame the recommended weight: http://www.ehow.com/how_5168263_determine-size-elbow-size-method.html
    You can also google. how to measure your wrist, but that is pretty self explanatory. Here is a chart: http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
    I have heard of the wrist and fingers one, but it's not very accurate, you may be surprised if you do this one, maybe not, it'd at least be worth a try. Oh, and if you feel great, feel good in your clothes, love yourself, and feel healthy, I'd say you can stop any time you want! WTG on your loss btw. :)
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel my goal is too low now, I may change it, I tried your finger thumb thing and they just touch so I guess that means I am large frame? So I started out at 180ish and I am now down to 144lbs and feel great at this weight but my ideal weight for my height is 130 - 135 so I put my goal as 135. Think I will change it to 140 though. I am 5'2". My legs are not toned enough so that is probably what I will work on more now is toning!!!

Since they do touch, that means you are a medium frame.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    fingers going round your wrist is not the best way to determine frame size...finger lengths can differ too!

this uses 2 calculations...... http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

I also believe you should carry on as long as you are happy, if you're unsure how you feel then take some time out to tone up etc and see how you feel in a few weeks time. It will give you an idea of how well you can maintain too.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options

Since they do touch, that means you are a medium frame.

I thought that was true as well, because mine touch, but when I measured and did the actual test, I found I was large framed. Elbow breadth test is the most accurate.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice today on my post. After thinking about it all day, I decided to reset my goal and ticker to 135. I think it is the right decision. I am definitely going to work on more toning and work hard to lose the last few pounds. If i don't feel content when I reach 135, I can always reset it to 125. Thanks again and good luck to all of you!!!