Trainers: "Got running suggestions? I need help."

Options
When I was in high school I passed out a few times trying to run. The gym teacher said I was holding my breath. I then, with his instruction, tried to concentrate on breathing. (I was in shape too, I swam competitively!) When I concentrated on breathing, I got too much oxygen and got lightheaded, and had to stop. I was sooo embarrassed that I couldn't run a full two laps. Instead of anyone helping me learn what to do, my pediatrician wrote a note to the gym teacher excusing me from lap running. I sat and watched the others for four years.

Well, I'm in my 40's now and the women I see who run look like they are in the best shape. I'm jealous.

I'd like to learn how to run. I think I have the breathing down.... I started by trying to breath and sing (lightly of course) and that seemed to work, but now I find that even after a few laps... the next day I have pain up and down the fronts of my lower legs, right up and down the bone line. I'm not sure if it's shin splints, but I'm so afraid of hurting myself and not being able to work out. Could it just be sore muscles on the "front" of my legs? Will it go away if I keep at it, or will it get worse?

Oh yes, I'm such a mess... I had plantar faciitis a few years ago (I was a lot heavier though)... so I had tennis shoes melded to my foot shape, but it still hurt. I no longer wear those shoes cause they are too big for me now. Crazy, huh? Anyway, I bought over the counter tennis shoes and haven't had plantar facitis for years... but I'm still nervous about getting it, I could exercise at all while I had it.

Any help would be soo much appreciated. I really want to learn to run.

BTW- I foster puppies for the Humane Society (I've adopted out almost 60 dogs!). The Humane Society is having their fundraiser 5K at the end of October. Every year, I've watched from afar wishing I was able to run. If someone can help me, I'd love to be able to run it this year.

Replies

• chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K Running plan here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The key is to start slowly and allow your body to adapt to your running. Maybe even start with a couple weeks of fast paced walking first. BTW, running on a track with all the turning that you're doing is really hard on your knees and feet etc and probably not a great way to begin. Try the road or better yet the softer shoulder of the road or grass or well groomed trails if you have access to those.

If you really want to run, good shoes that fit your feet, weight, and gait are important too. Remember too that your cardio system will adapt more quickly than your joints, muscles and ligaments/tendons. You may feel ready to run farther/harder before your joint etc really are. It's important, especially in the early going to pace yourself and give your body that time to adapt and recover. Good luck and happy running.
  • KATE509
    KATE509 Posts: 25
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K program...it starts with baby steps so to speak. When you start out with actual running as opposed to walking I would suggest an indoor track or an outdoor one at a local high school or somewhere like that. Also get good shoes for your type of foot. Some pain in your legs is normal but your pain could be mild beginnings of shin splints, especially if you are going outdoors on concrete and doing hills. To avoid injury, if you can, start indoors and then move it outdoors as you progress. But the Couch to 5K sounds like it would work for you.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you do a a Couch to 5 K program and yes concentrate on breathing.

Out of curiosity have you ever tried using breath right strips? I had a deviated septum in my nose when I was younger. When I would run, I wouldn't get enough oxygen unless my mouth was open as I couldn't get the airflow thru my nose.

A couch to 5K program will start with a walk and run pattern that allows you to build endurance. Typically for the first few weeks you spend more time walking and gradually build up to more time running.
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    And as for breathing, breathe in with both mouth and nose to make sure you're getting enough air. I aim for a 4-count in and a 4-count out.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you don't run on consecutive days. I know when you start you just want to go go go.. but if you don't rest in between runs you will most likely end up injured. I only run three days a week and do other exercises on the other days. No shin splints for me! Plus gettng the right running shoes are a necessity. Go to your local running store and get fit by a pro. You won't be sorry.

I'm also going to encourage the couch to 5k program.... literally saved my life and changed me forever!!!!
  • bfh123
    bfh123 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As Chefdan mentioned, the couch to 5k problem is a great way for a beginning to get into running. I ran a half marathon a few years ago, and after falling off the wagon for the last 2.5 years, I followed it for a few weeks until I got back into my zone.

Additionally, if you want to get into running, I can stress enough the importance of having the proper shoes.Do not go to a big box store for running shoes, go to a specialty running store and have them fit you for a pair of shoes that are right for your feet. They'll look at things like what type of arch you have, how much you pronate, your stride, etc.

Trust me, there's nothing worst than running in the wrong pair of shoes.
  • aunfire82
    aunfire82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Congrats on deciding to train for a 5k... I highly suggest the Couch to 5k program, which you are able to download on line. It sounds like you have shin splints, make sure you have good running shoes and have you been fitted for running shoes yet? When you run try to land on the pad of your foot (middle of your foot), your heels should not really touch the ground. There are tons of websites: runnersworld.com, running-mom.com, etc. Plus you always have MFP! Good luck on your training and one way to help get rid of your shin splints is to sit down and cross one leg over the other and rotate your foot at the ankle. (when you cross your legs you are going to cross them more like a guy than a woman. i.e. the crossed leg is hitting the other leg mid calf). Hope I described it in a way that is understandable. It will hurt like crazy at first (but that good working the soreness out type hurt) but it will help.
  • KATE509
    KATE509 Posts: 25
    Options
    You sometimes have to weigh things like turning alot on a track against the harder surface of the roads. Switch directions each time on the track each time, my experience with achilles problems leads me to suggest the track, especially since you have experienced foot issues in the past (you may have short calves which predisposes). Good luck with goal to get running!
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said about Couch to 5k. I wanted to mention also that I had really shore shins at first when I started to run. It took me a couple of weeks of running to feel like I could break free from having that pain. I was also terrified of shin splints, but it was just the muscles wrapping around the front of my legs that I apparently use a lot when I run. Be sure you're stretching lots and take some ibuprofen if you need. Also be sure you're not pushing too fast just yet. Some times people get out there and start running and don't know how to pace themselves and end up getting hurt. Slow down your pace and take breaks as you need. I run on a treadmill so I can be sure to pace myself. Also, think about the area you are running. Are there a lot of hills. My shins are ALWAYS killing me after I do a really hilly run. I always sit down after and just point my toes out as far as I can to start to stretch out those muscles. I'll even go as far as having someone push down on my toes while I push up. It hurts for just a moment, but more like a stretching hurt, not a real pain hurt, you know?

Good luck and keep up with the running! Oh, and as for the breathing thing, I get some issues with breathing when I run, too, but I've learned the same thing you did: if I sing while I am starting to run, I get a better breathing rhythm down. While you're running is not the right time to start figuring out how to breathe. I took voice lessons back in college and am now a music teacher. I teach my students to be sure that when they're breathing, they're pushing their guts out, not breathing their shoulders up. So many of us are so self conscious about how are stomachs look that we never breathe properly. To test how you're breathing and standing, go stand against a wall and push your back against it. You should almost feel a little hunched over from trying to stand straight up and pushing the small of your back against the wall. While standing there, breathe deeply and feel the sides of your stomach go out. That's because your diaphragm is being pushed down by your lungs as they fill up with air. (You probably already know this, but it sometimes helps to review). If you want to feel the best breath possible, yawn. Practice good breathing when you're not on the treadmill, then sing along with your favorite music while you're on it and it will hopefully help regulate a more natural breath for you.

Again, good luck and keep up with it! It's so fun and so worth it!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity have you ever tried using breath right strips? I had a deviated septum in my nose when I was younger. When I would run, I wouldn't get enough oxygen unless my mouth was open as I couldn't get the airflow thru my nose.

I never thought of that! I'll bet I do have a deviated septum! My nose was badly broken in swim practice when I was about 9 years old (kicked from the swimmer in front of me). Couple years ago my husband suggested I try a neti pot when I had a cold, and the saline solution didn't go through. I'll try that. Thank you!

Also, thank you all for the couch-5K suggestion. I have printed it out and will give it a shot.

BTW- I forgot the mention, I broke my leg 11 years ago, and have eleven screws and two plates in it... So I have to run on a padded track (Dr's told me never to run on "uneven" ground, like grass or sand). It's healed so well that I forget what leg it is unless I look for the scar, which is why I forgot to mention it. The doctors told me that I would most likely have problems with it as I got older, but so far, it's been a blessing... I used to sprain my ankle often. Since he fixed it, I have stepped on uneven things and instead of twisting my ankle and falling (like I did before)... I'm able to catch myself. Haven't sprained an ankle since I broke it!
  • JulieF11
    Options
    It sounds like you have shin splints, make sure you have good running shoes and have you been fitted for running shoes yet? When you run try to land on the pad of your foot (middle of your foot), your heels should not really touch the ground. There are tons of websites: runnersworld.com, running-mom.com, etc. One way to help get rid of your shin splints is to sit down and cross one leg over the other and rotate your foot at the ankle.
    Great suggestions! Thank you!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The human body is built to run far and long so there is no better exercise for improving health. The best way to avoid pain is to run correctly which means not landing on your heels. You should be landing on your fore to mid foot slighltly on the outside of the foot and then rolling in as your heel touches lightly and then rebounds as you lift your leg. Your steps should be quick, about 180 per minute and your foot should be landing under, not in front of, your body. Running this way greatly decreases the impact forces on the bones and joints and decreases the probability of injury and pain.

If you take off the shoes and run a short distance barefooted you will run like that naturally and get a feel for the technique.

You can also google pose running, chi running, or barefoot running for more in depth discussions.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Also, there is no need to stretch before or after you run. Stretching actually increases the chance of injury. Just start out slow and let your body warm up for about ten minutes before running hard. When you are finished, walk for a while before sitting down.
  • JulieF11
    Options
    Thanks!