Plantars Fasciitis

Options
Has anyone out ever been bothered with Plantars Fasciitis? From the readings I've been doing on the internet, I think I am developing some of the symptoms (i.e. bottom of feet very sore first thing in the morning). During excerise the other day, It started to affect me. I am looking for something to help eleviate the pain to avoid quitting my exercise, until I see a Podiatrist. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have had that problem, stretching the calf and heels every morning when you get out of bed is a must. Do it during the day as well. Proper walking or running shoes is a must. No flip-flops! My doctor told me to throw mine in the garbage, thats what I was wearing when I went to see her!!
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options
    Has anyone out ever been bothered with Plantars Fasciitis? From the readings I've been doing on the internet, I think I am developing some of the symptoms (i.e. bottom of feet very sore first thing in the morning). During excerise the other day, It started to affect me. I am looking for something to help eleviate the pain to avoid quitting my exercise, until I see a Podiatrist. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    I was diagnosed with that condition a few years ago. Only treatment that worked for me were injections into the bottom of the foot by my Podiatrist. (not a fun thing, but it worked). After the last injection and use of a prescription for Voltaren Gel the pain and problem seemed to disappear and I have not had any flare-up of the severe pain for a long time now. Don't know if it was related, but they also diagnosed Gout at a different time (it is severe pain and swelling of the big toe joint) but I was put on Allpurinol for that. Can't say for sure what treatment actually solved the Plantars Fascitis problem, but am very happy it has no longer been a problem. Good luck with your issue.
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options
    The stretching never really helped me, but my doctor also stressed wearing good shoes. I have to confess that I have not been able to give up going barefooted (inside) but I am trying to be better with wearing shoes. Guess it is a curse to living in FL.
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    I have had that problem, stretching the calf and heels every morning when you get out of bed is a must. Do it during the day as well. Proper walking or running shoes is a must. No flip-flops! My doctor told me to throw mine in the garbage, thats what I was wearing when I went to see her!!

Agree with the stretching. Also you may try putting Ice on your heel. You can also get a cortisone shot in your foot. This helps but it is very painful to get
  • kristarablue
    Options
    SHOES, SHOES, SHOES Get good shoes and wear them all of the time. Go to a running specialty store and have them evaluate how you walk and where you put pressure on your feet..ect. Spend the money to get good shoes. Also to give you some immediate relief, take a water bottle and freeze it, then you can roll it around under your foot, this is soothing and does feel good. If that does not help, go to a podiatrist, they have different methods of helping with the planters fasciitis. Good luck, I know how painful it can be.
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Some tips from a person who has had it in the past.
    1) Before getting out of bed do gentle stretches. Also have a tennis ball at bedside an roll foot back and forth over it a few times.
    2) Fill a water bottle with water and freeze. Then every evening roll foot over ice bottle.
    3) Also there a different types of exercises. Like place a towel on floor in front of you and with your toes pull it towards you. Then throw it out and do it again. Also gentle calf stretches and lower calf stretch. Also place towel under front of foot and with ends in both hands gently pull towards you to stretch calf.
    4) Also Dr Scholl's has an insert that is for that and it helps take pressure off heel.
    5) Ibuprofen 600mg three times per day.

If you do not see improvement - go see you doctor and he may have you go for physical therapy and offer other suggestions.
    Good Luck! Start soon, my hubby has had it bad for about 5 months! He did not go or follow the suggestions above soon enough.
    :ohwell:
  • wdmom
    wdmom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis. I had it for over a year before I finally went to my physio therapist. I have custom orthotics but my last pair are faulty and my trusted pedorthist retired before I could get them fixed. Argh.

I have been having ultrasound 3 times a week on my heels for 6 months to break up scar tissue and loosen the tissue. It's really working.

I suggest you do 2 things:
    1. Ice your feet until they are numb 2 times a day to take down inflamation. It really helps.
    Before you go to bed, wrap your feet in elastic bandages. To do this, hold your foot flexed so that your toes are toward your knee. 2. Wrap your foot to hold it this way. This is called splinting and helps to keep the plantar fascii from getting tight over night since we tend to point our toes in bed.

Jennie is right. Stretch your calves and heels in the morning and wear proper shoes. You may think of trying a drug store type arch support. Look for one that helps plantar fasciitis.

Good luck.
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I agree as well with the stretching, but don't limit it to the lower foot/leg. My pain actually originates more from the hips.. my lower body is very tight and I'm doing yoga to improve it. I generally do the yoga/stretching at night and then wake up with less pain.
  • dragonflies6
    dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have it and Ive been to the dr about it. he fitted me for fitted arch insoles which made it worse, so I just so stretches, ice it, and i make sure the shoes i buy bend at the toes and not in the middle of the shoe. using the elyptical does not bother my feet at all. also the MBT shoes are great.
  • IrishMc
    IrishMc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, only my left foot though. I find stretching in the morning, and before, during and after exercising helps (I loop a towel around my toes and pull it toward me to stretch the heel down as far as I can or stand on a step with the ball of the foot on the edge and push down). If I'm doing a longer hike, I take some Advil half way through, although I've had a few days where nothing seems to help and every pebble I step on in the trail feels like a hammer blow to my heel.
  • socialite51
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will try to do the stretching and icing. I tried to do my exercise this morning and had to stop after 17 minutes. Nothing is more worst than foot pain and (or) a toothache.
  • socialite51
    Options
    Thanks...and I also like to go barefoot in the Midwest...:blushing:
  • socialite51
    Options
    Hi and thanks for responding to my post. What are MBT shoes?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    The stretching never really helped me, but my doctor also stressed wearing good shoes. I have to confess that I have not been able to give up going barefooted (inside) but I am trying to be better with wearing shoes. Guess it is a curse to living in FL.

I too live in FLA and find it hard to slip on shoes for no reason. I have PF and have not had a flare up for years. My podiatrist told me barefoot is ok, but flip flops make you grip with your toes and this stretches the fascia (spell)

The mornign stretches are a must.

Stand a foot from a wall, put hands on the wall, step back with 1 foot until the heel is comfortably on the ground. This stretches the foot and calf. Repeat on the other side. Make sure to do it for 15 to 30 seconds at a time.

Ice is good after a workout. Sometimes a warm soak was called for. Depended on what I was doing. BUT shoes for working out were KEY!!

Good luck, hope it goes away:flowerforyou:
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    yep, i've got it. it seems to be troubling me less as i lose a bit of weight, but it's still there, and if i try and jog, it hurts.

My podiatrist told me to:

wear running shoes (good ones) all the time, in the house and everything as much as possible
    avoid wearing thongs and anything slip on
    fill up a spring water bottle and freeze it, then roll it under my foot as an icing massage
    if it's sore after exercise, get a bucket of cold water and hot as you can handle water, and swap feet from cold to hold and back again a few times
    stretching

i have orthodics, they work to a degree, but it's always sore...
  • treadingpurple
    Options
    I have this right now, and I agree, it hurts. My physical therapist suggested foot massage every evening to massage the area that hurts. She also suggested freezing a water bottle and rolling my foot over it for relief.

An alternative to cortizone shots is physical therapy where they do ultrasound therapy. This is what I did last time I had plantar faschiitis, and it helped a great deal.
  • iverayna
    iverayna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ugg I have it, REALLY GOOD arch support and he has me get a tennis ball and set it on the carpet and roll it with even pressure under my foot 1 to 2 minutes at a time and then switch feet. Oh man does it feel good. Someimtes i feel like i could flatten the stinkin ball..
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it about a year after starting my waitressing job at the bowling alley. I was given excercises (like the ones mentioned above) and told about proper shoes. NO FLAT SHOES. I was also given these horrid braces I had to wear at night to stretch my muscles. It was like snow boots in bed! And then I had special sole inserts made for me. And with those in my Nike running shoes I haven't had a problem since! Thank God.