Defeating your inheritance

Options
I'm the granddaughter, daughter, sister, and niece of women who have suffer with or have died from heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid disease and high blood pressure. I have heart disease and HB pressure, and in June of 2010, because of high glucose readings, my doctor recommended I begin taking a pre-diabetic medication. That was the beginning of me starting this journey to take control of my life! I refused the new medication and told my doctor I wanted to try something else. Something else turned out to be a new lifestyle of better cleaner eating, exercise, and MFP.

My last blood pressure reading was 116//67. I want to share my latest lab results as well. The first set of numbers were before my lifestyle change, middle set is current, and 3rd of numbers is the general guide to measure where I should be.

GLUCOSE previous 110 GLUCOSE now 75 Benchmark - should be under 100
TRIGLYCERIDE previous 100 TRIGLYCERIDE now 52 Benchmark - should be under 150
CHOLESTEROL previous 188 CHOLESTEROL now 124 Benchmark - under 200
HDL previous 46 HDL now 72 Benchmark - over 50

These changes show how eating better and exercising can change what may have been considered hereditary. My doctor has asked me to make a video speaking to diabetic women, and women with heart disease, to be used in the VA Hospital's weight management program. I will be interviewed by the VA's Lifestyle Director for the video on April 18th. I"ll make sure to tell them they can defeat their inheritance, and MFP is a big part of your arsenal!! Good luck everyone!!

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! Best wishes and thank you for sharing.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Way to be an advocate for your own health. Well done. Not only are you more healthy, but you look really good too.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You are a HUGE inspiration!!! I hope more people read this and realize that you are not your genetics. You are your own person! Congrats on beating your obstacles and coming out on top!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely wonderful.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful testimony! You are doing an amazing job. What an honor it is to be chosen for such a video too! I pray that you will be able to help LOTS of people through it :-) Way to go!
  • lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    Well done Sista. I knew the results would be great. Thanks for keeping us updated.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    That is an awesome testimony Janice! Outstanding! You've done a magnificent job, and now you can spread your good fortune to others!**standing ovation**
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm the NP in a Women's Heart Clinic and I want my patients to be like you!! SO many just want the prescriptions and don't want to take any responsibility for their health.

You are setting an example that is SO needed!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful. I'm just posting this link as a PSA, anyone part of the African diaspora needs to read this link about sodium and people of African descent from medscape.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/407741_3
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful. I'm just posting this link as a PSA, anyone part of the African diaspora needs to read this link about sodium and people of African descent from medscape.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/407741_3

Thanks, for the compliment, but especially for the link. This information definitely needs to be shared!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement and kind words!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    What a powerful testimony!!! You're such an inspiration, encouragement and example to everyone...a real blessing!! And it is great that you will get to share this message way beyond the confines of MFP!!! Kudos to you!!! And thank you sooo much for all the help and encouragement you have given me!! I look forward to sharing with others as you have shared with me!!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look FABULOUS, my dear :D and those numbers are beautiful too! Definitely gives me the boost I needed to keep going with this.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That is incredible! What a great opportunity to share your positive experience with others and hopefully inspire them to do the same!!

Although my future wasn't quite as dire as yours, I was heading to high blood pressure and high cholesterol territory before I started my journey late 2009 and was very happy when I got my updated results a few months ago after losing 55 pounds! Both numbers were back to normal. Needless to say, my doc was pretty impressed too. :smile:
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. Our health should be the reason we are all doing this. Looking better is just a positive side effect :-).
  • gsterlingdiva02
    Options
    You are such an inspiration!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is a lovely story. Thanks for posting, and hugs & congratulations!
  • rwarren2
    rwarren2 Posts: 25
    Options
    Congratulations, may you have continued success, great job! :flowerforyou:
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing such a personal and inspiring story that is sure to save the lives of many. Thank you for continuing to be a treasured MFP to me. You continue to remind me of the most important reasons we are making these changes in our lives.
  • daydreamer_28
    daydreamer_28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are a HUGE inspiration!!! I hope more people read this and realize that you are not your genetics. You are your own person! Congrats on beating your obstacles and coming out on top!

I wish more people would realize this! I have a couple family members that argue with me about this very subject. I refuse and will fight hard so I do not inherit family health issues!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!