Too fat to run?

Options
Is there a cut off (maybe BMI limit) to run? Got some feedback today from others who are also heavy and I'm not sure if they are sabotaging my effort or if there is truth to it. After hearing them, I'm nervous about putting too much stress on my joints. I'm tall 5'7" and heavy 200lbs.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The biggest loser shows us that we are the ones that limit ourselves. Those people are extremely heavy and they run. I would suggest though if your friends are that big that they see a physician first. Just to be on the safe side.
  • nicolagh
    nicolagh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a BMI limit to run, but it's all about pacing yourself and knowing what you can and can't do. I'm a similar body type to you and I do run, but in short intervals like 30s or 1min. If I feel like it is too much, then I stop and do a brisk walk. Running is something I enjoy even if I'm not stellar at it. The way I started was doing 1 min of walking and 30 seconds of jogging. I used a counter program on my phone that would "gong" when it was time to change from walk to run and vice versa. There's definitely a risk to pushing yourself too hard too soon with any physical activity. If you're really interested in running I'd recommend finding a comfortable starting place with your routine, listen to your body and then try to build from there each week.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K program. I see a lot of people on her talk about it and my son and I have just started it, too.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Gilly18
    Gilly18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest deciding for yourself: Is it uncomfortable when you run? If it is, non impact exercise would probably be better. I couldn't run without discomfort owing to knee injuries (and excess weight), I strengthened my knees cycling, lost a bit of weight, and now I can run without discomfort.
    If you are finishing a run and your knees are swollen, you're stressing your joints; ice pack them, then bike/cross trainer instead of running next time...

EDIT: The interval routine suggested above it a really good one, I normally run for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute, with the intention of increasing the running without increasing the walking over time...
  • classyleo77
    classyleo77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started running at 240 pounds. Just start slow and listen to your body. You can do it.
    I also did the Couch to 5k program at coolrunning.com
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    NO! Start slow and remember to listen to your body. If you have are excited to run then do it! Just know to start in small quantities and it gets easier from there! When I first started running I could only run a block then walk a block and so forth now I can run 3 miles no problem. Anyone can run as long as they have the right mind set. If you feel your joints are suffering try to switch off between runs, walks and an elliptical. Good luck!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and weigh more than that and I run. One word of advice I would give is to make sure you get really good running shoes. I'm talking go to your local running/fitness specialty store and get help from a professional. I never did that in the past and I now have planters fascitis in both feet. Granted my podiatrist says it's in part due to the fact that I naturally have really high arches, but running with all of the extra weight WITHOUT the right shoes also contributed.
  • Brioche
    Brioche Posts: 1
    Options
    If you don't rush into it too quickly trying to run too far too fast... if you warm-up and stretch really well afterwards, I don't see a problem (unless you already have joint issues that is).
    I just made it under 200lbs and I'm also around 5'7 and have been running for the past year (from a weight of over 230lbs). Today I just did over 12km!

So anything is possible in my mind...
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Don't EVER let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Im only 5'4" and was over 200 when I started my journey. My doctor even discouraged me from doing too much running because I actually do have ostioarthritis in my knee . . . but I LOVE to run and if you are going to do exercise it should be something your enjoy and will stick with.
    I sometimes put an icepack on my knee and have an Advil afterwards, but truthfully I feel better than I have ever in my life!

Oh, and this is coming from a woman in her early 40's who hadn't exercised in at least a decade.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    consult your dr. first. and i agree w/ desirai. what i do and have done when i was 270 5'3 w/ asthma and a bad knee is walk 2min run 1min for 30min. only you know your body and what you can do. not everybody else. :bigsmile: good luck to you!
  • msuamber
    msuamber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't believe it! I started the Couch to 5K program when I was about 265 pounds. Now I'm down in the 230's and am running 3 miles. You need to pay attention to your body and make sure you feel comfortable and take it slow! I'm not out there running at 6.0, but I AM running and learning to enjoy it! If you start hurting, slow down the process until your body can adjust!
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'7 and way over 200lbs...and I run a good mile+ at least 3 days a week. I don't believe anyone can be too fat to run. Take it slow and you'll slowly work your way up. I have had an issue with my knee for years, BUT with stretching before and after it has seemed to help some. If it hurts when I run, I change to walking. Either way its a great exercise choice!
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I was 210 (5'9) I was still running and my joints did hurt from time to time (They are hurting now from Insanity) but my bottom line is I gotta work through it this time. I just ordered joint supplements (Animal Flex) online to rebuild and strengthen so I can continue to push through and reach my goals. I also ice, wrap and soak my knees.

I have friends that THINK they are being helpful by telling me to "slow down" and "eat the cheescake"... but that got me in this mess! My true friends see my plan and vision and say "How can I help hold you accountable!" and "How can I motivate you to keep pushing!"

Having said that, if you are in constant chronic pain, I most definitlty suggest you see a doctor!
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    The biggest loser shows us that we are the ones that limit ourselves. Those people are extremely heavy and they run. I would suggest though if your friends are that big that they see a physician first. Just to be on the safe side.

I agree, check with your Dr. first, but I remember Mike from last year (I think it was last year). He was well over 300 pounds and he RAN a 5k.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I weigh about 10 lbs more than you and am 2.5 inches shorter and I run! I suggest making sure that you have a pair of good running shoes and stay away from running on pavement! I hate treadmills, but that's a good place to run or on dirt or crushed gravel. There are a lot of dirt roads where I live so I always run on dirt. Just take it slow at first and do a combo of walking/jogging. If you haven't looked at it, you should look at the Couch to 5K Running Plan (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) it is a great way to start out running! If you want to run, then run, just take it easy for a while so you don't hurt yourself!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm 50yrs old, 165lbs with arthritis in all my joints and just started running again (after 30+ years off the track). Granted, it's less than 1/4 mile before I need 10 seconds to catch my breath, but then I go another 1/4 mile or so...etc. And my distance is improving.

Get good shoes, wrap any bad joints, don't keep going if it hurts too much (but do try again after a rest). And check with your dr.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you CAN'T do something. Sure ya can!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever was writing about the Biggest Loser. That was partially what inspired me. If a 400 pound man can jog, no matter how slowly, surely I could try it. I started a variation of the Couch25K program in mid February, at 5'8 and 199 pounds. I started with 15 second jogging intervals and 5 minute walking intervals, gradually increased the jogging intervals and decreased the "recovery" walking time between the intervals to about 2-3 minutes...here's where I am after 7 weeks:

last night I ran for FIVE MINUTES in a row...TWICE...I am going way slower than the actual Couch25K program, but this is working for me. This was a huge accomplishment for me! I only run 2 or 3 days a week and cross train the rest of the time with spinning, Zumba, elliptical machine, walking at the park, and strength training.

Even when I was younger and skinny, I had issues with early onset arthritis and didn't like to run (probably cause I totally overdid it and then hurt myself!) This time, I started off slow and steady and went at a pace that worked for me. Now I am what I would call a "fat slow runner"...and I love it. Have experienced the "runners high" several times and it's an amazing feeling.

I've also lost nearly 12 pounds from working out and fueling my body with healthier foods.

Trust me, if I can do it, you can too. Just start off with walking and increase your jogging/running intervals as your body feels ready.

Feel free to add me!

Ellen
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for about 6 months. I am currently 5'3" and weigh 228. What I've found is that your body will tell you when you've had enough. The more weight pounding down on your joints IS going to affect how the joints feel, but you will know if your joints are sore because you've worked them out or if you are pushing too hard. The biggest piece of advice I can give (I used to be a personal trainer through AFAA - this isn't just coming from "me-the-fat-person" I've since become - haha) is to start out very slow. When I first started running, I ran for one minute and walked for five minutes. I repeated that three times. It was quite easy for me, but you cannot start out too fast due to increased risk of injury. START SLOWER THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED TO. Ease into it. I worked up to running 2.5 miles without stopping to walk before I could feel my knee starting to get sore during my runs. I knew then that I needed to focus more on shedding weight than increasing my distance. And don't forget to incorporate other exercises as well to keep your metabolism going and your body healthy. Swimming is a great aerobic exericise to pair with running. Weight training is also good to keep your legs strong and work on the muscles that are sustaining the runs. In short, I do not think there is a cutoff (such as BMI), as long as you have the understanding that you can be easily injured with running if you do not start out slow and work your way into it. Good luck!! Running has become a motivator for me! I want to lose weight and participate in a half marathon! Hope you find the same passion!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 5 of c25k last night. The only problem I've had just started since the runs have gotten longer. Thigh chafing, which I'm sure could be solved by wearing better clothes to run in.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    id suggest combined walking and jogging to beg with:smile: