Goes with ham?

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
What's a good healthy side for ham?

My friend and I are having dinner tomorrow night and she’s bringing a baked ham and I'm making the side dish. I hardly ever eat ham, so I need some advice on what dish to prepare? Normally I would make scalloped potatoes, however I doubt the calorie count is very reasonable in that particular dish.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    green eggs obviously.. duh! geesh....lol :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Nothing goes together better than green eggs and ham.

Just kidding. How about something like mashed sweet potatoes? Delicious and nutritious.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yall are so silly. I 2nd the sweet potatoes
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Scalloped potatoes would just rock with ham, that said mashed would be a fit too, cut down calories by doing the cauliflower / potato mix.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat rolls?
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    lol my first thought was sweet potatoes too...
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Baked potato, salad, asparagus....green beans?
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Bacon and french fries!!

Roll the french fries up in a slice of ham and wrap the bacon around it.
    You can dip it in all kinds of sauces :D
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    green eggs obviously.. duh! geesh....lol :)

Lol, I think I walked right into that one! ... Yes, it does go well!!! :)
  • msuamber
    msuamber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with the sweet potatoes and baked asparagus. Sounds so good in fact, that may be what we have for dinner at my house!
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How about a sweet Apple Slaw. There are about a million recipes on line for them & you can lighten very easily by substituting ingredients. My Grandma always used shredded green & red cabbage in equal parts, shredded Granny Smith apple, Miricle Whip & sugar w/salt and pepper to taste (obviously lighten this up by using light or fat free w/truvia or similar sweetner). You can also add slice banana's if you like. Just note: Do not mix until just before serving because like all cole slaws, it will get weepy as it sits! :flowerforyou:
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This healthier version of scalloped potatoes is lower in fat, vegetarian and vegan. Scalloped potatoes are a classic creamy side dish. Top with extra margarine or bread crumbs if desired. If you like scalloped potatoes but need a healthy, low-fat version, why not try it vegan and dairy free? It's still delicious, I promise!
    Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup vegan margarine, melted
    * 1 tsp salt
    * 1 tsp pepper
    * 6 tbsp flour
    * 6 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
    * 1 onion, finely chopped
    * 2 cups soy milk
    * paprika
    * parsley sprigs for garnish

Preparation:
    Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. With a little of the vegan margarine, lightly grease a 9 inch square baking pan.

Stir the salt and pepper into the flour.

Place 1/3 of the sliced potatoes along the bottom of the pan, followed by 1/3 of the onion, 1/3 of the remaining margarine, and half the flour.

Repeat this layer with 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/3 of the onions, 1/3 of the margarine and the remaining flour. Top this with the rest of the potatoes, onions and margarine.

Pour the soy milk slowly into the pan until it almost covers the top layer. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the potatoes are soft and the milk is thick. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Enjoy your healthy scalloped potatoes!
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    Sweet Potato and Broccoli mashed together is yummy
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    Yields: 8 servings
    LIGHTER SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH SWEET POTATO, FENNEL, AND LEEK
    Serves 8. Published April 20, 2007.
    The quickest way to slice the potatoes is in a food processor fitted with a ⅛-inch-thick slicing blade. Halve the potatoes crosswise and put them in the feed tube cut-side down so that they sit flat
    INGREDIENTS
    1 medium leek , white part only, sliced ⅛ inch thick
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    ½ teaspoon table salt
    1 medium garlic clove , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
    1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
    ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds , crushed
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    1½ pounds russet potatoes , peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick
    1 pound sweet potatoes , peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick
    1 small bulb fennel (8 ounces), cored and sliced ⅛ inch thick
    2 cups 2% milk
    2 bay leaves
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon water
    3 tablespoons light cream cheese
    2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
    PER SERVING: Cal 210; Fat 5 g; Sat fat 2.5 g; Chol 15 mg; Carb 35 g; Protein 8 g; Fiber 3 g; Sodium 340 mg

LIGHTER SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH SWEET POTATO, FENNEL, AND LEEK

Serves 8. Published April 20, 2007.

The quickest way to slice the potatoes is in a food processor fitted with a ⅛-inch-thick slicing blade. Halve the potatoes crosswise and put them in the feed tube cut-side down so that they sit flat on the surface of the slicing disk. A mandoline or V-slicer is the other option. Don’t try to slice the potatoes with a knife; you won’t get them thin enough. It is best to assemble all of your ingredients before slicing the potatoes. If the potato slices discolor as they stand, put them in a bowl and cover with the milk in the recipe. Don’t be tempted to slice the potatoes and store them in water—this will remove some of the starch that is necessary to thicken the milk. This recipe was published in our cookbook The Best Light Recipe.

)
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees.

2. Combine the leek, oil, and salt in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Add the potatoes, fennel, milk, and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until partially tender, and a fork can be slipped into a potato slice with some resistance, about 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Whisk the cornstarch and water together, then add to the pot and bring to a simmer. Off the heat, stir in the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, being careful not to break up the potatoes.

4. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch-square baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until the potatoes are completely tender, a fork can be slipped into the center of the dish without resistance, and the top is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

PER SERVING: Cal 210; Fat 5 g; Sat fat 2.5 g; Chol 15 mg; Carb 35 g; Protein 8 g; Fiber 3 g; Sodium 340 mg
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    This healthier version of scalloped potatoes is lower in fat, vegetarian and vegan. Scalloped potatoes are a classic creamy side dish. Top with extra margarine or bread crumbs if desired. If you like scalloped potatoes but need a healthy, low-fat version, why not try it vegan and dairy free? It's still delicious, I promise!

oooo bump.

i was going to say something like a stringbean side salad w/ cherry tomatoes, dill, lemon juice, olive oil and slivered almonds, but this 'updated' scalloped potato things sounds gooooooood!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    potatoes; carrots and peas...mashed potatoes and gravy...