Wondering if I am the only one?

Options
Although I am fairly new to this site I had the pleasure of reading a good many posts. Many of you comment how easy it to get tempted by other foods or how you are too tired/overworked/stressed to make that good meal you know you should have. One thing that has helped me stay away from this is essentially making all my lunches (the same lunch) for the week on Sunday. For me that means I figure out how much protein (in the form of chicken breasts, tofu or various beans) I need for 5 or 6 lunches, then add a whole lot of cooked vegetables (normally some mixed frozen veggies, asian, california mix, whatever) and make enough for about 600 cal per meal. That each week I mostly change the protein I use, non meat one week, chicken next, etc. Then I add whateever spices I want to give it any flavour I like. This avoids me running into temptation snacking on the Treats my fellow teachers bring in almost daily for the staff room. Furthermore I know the calories ahead of time, know it is healthy and only takes about 30 minutes to prepare for the entire week's worth of lunches. Let's face it, most of us eat similar foods for breakfast, etc. Was wondering if I am the only one who does this or do others do the same?

Replies

• Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Not me. I do about 2 lunches the same but woulld not want the same thing 5 or 6 days in a row. I'd get tired of it and buy something else. if it works for you, keep it up.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    That is a great idea. I never pack my lunches as I tend to forget at night or nothing sounds good then in the AM I am in a rush.
    Maybe I"ll do that this weekend!
  • thexica124
    thexica124 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. I usually end up buying frozen meals (lean cuisine, smart ones) for lunches and just bringing those with me. I am not a very good cook, so that is easiest for me when I am at work.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I do MUCH better on the weeks that I pre-pepare food, absolutely.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't make mine ahead of time but I always eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch. I eat Peanut butter and jelly for lunch and an apple. I save my big calories and creativeness for supper.
  • blackchickbb
    Options
    nope, your not the only one,i can eat the same thing for lunch and dinner,for months.i love white rice,with chicken,fish ,turkey or liver.side order will consist of corn,mixed vegs,coleslaw or greeen salad.i usually cook a large pot of white rice that last not very long.if it works for u,go ahead and do it.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thats a great idea! Right now I'm subbing (as an Instructional Assistant) and I never know if I will be called in or not. I stress over whether or not to pack lunch for work since I don't know if there will be work. And often there's very little time for me to get lunch if I do get called. This would help a lot with that, I will have to look into it and see what I can do. Whether I worked or not, this would be great. I love stir fry, all the mixed vegies and what not. And love when their is left overs, so why not just plan that sort of thing for the whole week.

I understand about the treats in the staff rooms, it's not been too bad this year though, as the school district has offered Weight Watchers to the staff for free. So out of several schools, there was just the one school I went into Thursday that had muffins and chips sitting on the table in the Staff room, which I had to enter several times throughout the day. I never had any of it though.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I used to do something similar....only I made a salad w/ a protein and a half sandwich.
  • cocobeenie
    Options
    Yeah recently I've been boiling sweet potatoes on Sunday to take along with me during the week. I also pack snack bags with 14 almonds and 5 prunes to have when I need a pick-me-up. I'd also take along hard boiled eggs and single servings of milk but those are found easily at the convenience stores in Seoul.

Does anyone take protien powder with them? whats the best way?
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I make my lunches for the week on Sunday and most of my dinners. It works for me because I live alone and don't mind eating the same thing a few days in a row. I like knowing what I am eating. It really helps me to not be tempted.

My go to is mini turkey burgers with some kind of rice/bean salad or quinoa or a huge pot of soup with salad. I've also been cooking a few sweet potatos and eating half at each meal.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I do prepare ahead, not quite as methodically as you do. Whatever protein I cook for dinner I make enough for the next day or two days of lunch. I cook 5-6 nights a week so this covers a great deal of week. Even if I don't have the veg worked out, knowing that there's an appropriate protein in the fridge makes getting lunch together easier for me.

Honestly, I haven't found myself overly tempted by "off-plan" foods because I haven't found anything I wanted that couldn't be worked into my plan at some point or another. This has not been true in the past when I've tried to follow diets like South Beach.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, I may try to organize my planning a little differently. :)