Sugar and Carb Cravings

Options
Does anyone have any tips for sugar cravings? I love to put sugar in my coffee but I have cut that out. Yesterday, someone brought in doughnuts and I had the most difficult afternoon trying not to eat one of those doughnuts.

I also crave carbs! Any suggestions? I love bread and chips and pasta and rice. I am trying to cut them out, but I need a subsitute.

Thank you guys for your thoughts and suggestions. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    Options
    have brown rice/wheat. And they say Diet drinks and cola make you crave carbs, so just try to drink water.
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hey don't feel badly I have the same problem :sad: but hopefully we will get some good tips from MFP!!!!
    We all need the support!!! :smile:
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    I need to know the answer to this question also! Sometimes I have those 100 calorie packs when I need sugar. I always crave sugar after dinner which is the worst! I know a lot of people say to have applesauce or sugar free pudding if I'm having that craving but sometimes it just doesn't cut it!

I've also heard that it takes about 3-4 weeks for your body to adjust to this way of eatting and if you don't give in to your cravings in those 3-4 weeks than you wont crave them much more after that... not sure how true that is though... cause when tom is near.. I still always have those cravings
  • occgurl22
    Options
    I have found that soy beans are great for the carb craving. Plus they fill you as well.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My thought is that cutting out all sugar will make you miss it more!! I still keep sugar in my coffee and if someone brings in donuts to work I eat just half of one! I know I could never stay away from them totally but little bits here and there keep me from getting a craving s bad that I eat a whole container of ice cream!! :)
  • AmyB2011
    AmyB2011 Posts: 48
    Options
    Whenever i'm craving sugar I eat a banana, it works for me :smile:
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Donna and I'm a sugar addict...lol. Yes, I know exactly what you're saying and I find that the only way I can do it is to cut out all "bad carbs" like white wheat, white rice, corn, potatoes, and sugar. I eat lots of veggies and fruits. When I want something sweet, I have a LS/FF yogurt with some fruit and some LS (low sugar) cereal (like Kashi) layered in a fancy glass like a parfait or a sugar-free frozen yogurt or sugar-free pudding with some fruit on top. Go easy on the sugar subs though as they can stimulate your appetite. When I want something salty/sweet, I usually go for some grapes and cheese (like Babybel). I have been on this for about 3 months now and I find that I don't crave those bad carbs anymore (well except for pizza...lol). Oh another good one is mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. We eat that several times a week. Even my picky hubby likes it. I saw a whole thread on here the yesterday with lots of other options for cauliflower including PIZZA CRUST...yay...lol. Can't wait to try that one. Maybe this weekend when I have some extra time. Hope this helps...keep up the good work and let me know if I can help you in anyway!!!
  • lilliemelissa
    lilliemelissa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i use splenda with fiber in my coffee and a spoonful of peanut butter for those carb cravings! also just came across 100 cal butter toffee almonds that are my absolute new fave! they have lots of protein and some fiber that help to fill me up. hope that helps :)
  • shuneault
    shuneault Posts: 13
    Options
    I love the 100 calorie packs of chocolate/chips/cookies etc. If it weren't for those, I'd be constantly craving sugar! But honestly, I have cheat days where I'll eat some of my favorite foods and that also helps tame those cravings.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I went really low and only allowed myself carbs in whole food form for about two weeks. It was hard initially but got better after the first few days. By the end of the two weeks I wasn't craving carbs anymore. Now I have them back in my diet but I try to keep them lower (150 grams or less typically but it depends on my workouts and how I'm feeling.) I also make sure I'm eating whole foods, no white flour or sugar and I don't crave them anymore unless it's a certain time of the month. :)
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi, I believe everything in moderation. I still have real sugar in my coffee every morning. I'm also a carb-aholic (love my potatoes, pasta and rice) I now eat a baked sweet potato instead and have you tried brown rice and whole wheat pasta? They are amazing and soooo much healthier. I find that if I deny myself anything I crave, I only want it more and don't want to binge. I find that emerald cocoa roast almonds in the 100 calorie pack take care of my sweet craving and absolutely love greek yogurt with the aded fruit. Best of luck to you, you can do this!:)
  • lilliemelissa
    lilliemelissa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    add-on! EAS carbadvantage protein shakes!!! 100 cal in vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate. make sure its extremely cold!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips for sugar cravings? I love to put sugar in my coffee but I have cut that out. Yesterday, someone brought in doughnuts and I had the most difficult afternoon trying not to eat one of those doughnuts.

I also crave carbs! Any suggestions? I love bread and chips and pasta and rice. I am trying to cut them out, but I need a subsitute.

Thank you guys for your thoughts and suggestions. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote

I don't think you should cut them all out. Eat the things you love but find lighter versions. Weight Watchers bread, whole wheat pasta's and rice or barley. Watch potatoes, a portion is usually only a half of a small potato. Try to sub. Sweet potato if you like them but only half with tsp. smart balance or sour cream. Jolly time has a weight watchers endorsed popcorn, I eat 5 cups every night. I am a night eater! The problem is portion control. If you measure and weight portions it helps keep from over doing it. Add lots of veggies to everything you eat. When I make pasta, since a serving is only so small I add peppers, onions, zuccini, yellow squash and use low salt chopped tomatoes add 4 oz of grilled chicken. I find it fills me without all the carbs. I also have it with grilled eggplant and low fat moz. cheese. Don't even miss the meat.
    I would cut out the doughnuts. I find when I eat high sugar foods I crave them even more. When someone brings doughnuts pull out a fat free choc pudding cup with a whole gram cracker crushed in or a bowl of berries and a couple squirts of low fat whip cream. Chances are they'll want it too. There is a good recipe someone posted for frozen peanutbutter cups, fat free cool whip, choc syrup and peanutbutter. I have not made them but everyone seems to love them. JUST WATCH PORTIONS>
    Good luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I need to know the answer to this question also! Sometimes I have those 100 calorie packs when I need sugar. I always crave sugar after dinner which is the worst! I know a lot of people say to have applesauce or sugar free pudding if I'm having that craving but sometimes it just doesn't cut it!

I've also heard that it takes about 3-4 weeks for your body to adjust to this way of eatting and if you don't give in to your cravings in those 3-4 weeks than you wont crave them much more after that... not sure how true that is though... cause when tom is near.. I still always have those cravings

it does take a while for your body to adjust. Watch that your not eating too many carbs at dinner. If you are it will raise your blood sugar and you will crave more carbs ( sugarie snacks or breads). If you can eat a lot of Protein and Vegetables at dinner. also drink a big glass of water before too.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I've been doing no carbs or sugars for about 15 days now....I was a total carb and sugar junkie. The first ten days were hel. I felt so bad for my husband. I had headaches, I was grumpy and I just never felt full. I did some reading on sugar detox and things like that. I drank tea to try to ease the struggle but it was hard. The best you can do really, it to detox your way through it because my week three is a complete breeze. I just don't even care anymore. I think the body just has to make adjustments. I sure shocked my body. I have lost a pound a day for 15 days.
  • mimiclark
    Options
    Try Stevia in place of sugar. It is the best sugar substitute that I have found, in years of searching.