Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    You are my hero!
    :wink:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

And if they force you to do it, have a bit of BK, and state, on-air, that you can actually feel your life shortening with each bite and then rush aside and throw up.

Seriously though, you live in a highly litigious society, so I'm sure there are many many reasons why they can't force you to do this or fire you if you don't.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That's really hard to do.
    Feel proud of yourself. You did the right thing.
  • elizwelshman
    Options
    You are awesome!! Standing up for what you believe is the right thing to do, good for you. :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • bfh123
    bfh123 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How'd this turn out? I think the advise to get a note from your doc was spot on. Good for you for standing up for yourself!
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    GO!!! Stick it to the man dude!! Literally, those sandwiches would stick to him in more ways than one! :D
  • ashers1819
    ashers1819 Posts: 160
    Options
    They surely can't force you to eat it... do you have a co-host that fancies it. Or could you just pretend to be doing it?

None of the above are helpful to anyone who might be influenced by eating that garbage but at least it might get you out of the dog house.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is worrisome is that if you're employed right now at a radio station and they requested you to do it, they could fire you for not participating.

A friend of mine just sued and won from a high end hotel for violating the Americans With Disabilities Act. The downside is that he has not found a job in 2 years. There is super high unemployment. This lawsuit has taken 2 years, it's been horrible. He's getting a measly $17,000 - not even a full year's salary. The lawyers are taking $8k, so that leaves him with $9k....paltry, really.

And if you're in the USA the unemployment rate is HIGH, plus they can fight you to get your unemp check (my friend's corporation did!). He had to go and appeal it several times before he received his first check. Now he's a 99'er and he's still out of work. 9k won't last very long but he's going to try and make it stretch.

What I would do would be to either tell your bosses that you've become a vegetarian recently and do they have the gardenburger that you could eat instead of the regular burger....? Or if not, I'd probably bite the bullet and bite into it, you know how on food network when the cooks eat something, they just take one bite, they never eat the whole thing....I'd take a bite and say it's delicious or whatever....and that would be it.
  • th1nkth1nmama
    Options
    That is awesome that you said NO! Be very proud of yourself!
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Hmmm, I smell a lawsuit brewing! Seriously, can they fire you for not eating that food??? That's crazy!

Absent a contract, most likely. I guess you could argue ADA, if eating that food would adversely effect your diabetes or something similar, but even then they can still probably require you to pimp/pitch the product whether you actually eat any of it or not. The ADA may require your employer to make a reasonable accommodation for a disability, that's all. If you dont have a disability, there is no issue with the ADA.

The problem with 'at will' employment is, if you dont like your job: teh answer is to find a new one.

*** this is, obviously, not legal advise. I have no earthly idea what state any of you live in, which could change things entirely. Most of the time it doesnt make a difference, but some states have specific employment protections that others do not have, and obviously I cant be an expert on all 50 states.
  • summerx275
    Options
    maybe you could make a suggestion to have healthy food brought in from a local health food store/restaurant that has better food options for you. You could possibly have the stations sales promotion people try to work out an ad program with them. It would serve a twofold purpose. You would be eating healthier and being honest about your decisions with the food, and the side bonus is that it just may give someone else listening the last push they need to get moving in a healthy direction. Good for you for standing up for your personal well being.
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    :noway:
  • aaguirre250
    Options
    have Paris Hilton eat it!
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! That is a biggie! Is there any way you could turn it around in a creative way and suggest they use a different source for promo ads? Such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's - you could, say, eat something from their generic brands and talk about how tasty it is? Maybe its not such a bad idea in theory, but you could crusade for something to "help the obesity epidemic in america" or "save the children of the US from obesity"... It would definitely draw attention to the station (which would benefit them) and you'd be doing something good. I'm sure you could draw in some ad money for healthy stores and fitness facilities in the area. I know this is more about the ad money for the station and I'm sure BK would be paying a lot more... but you could even turn this into a huge event and get people signed up for the next 5K race in your area by starting a personal training program and encouraging others to do the same; then a countdown until race day, all the while eating healthy foods each day/week/whatever from area restaurants or stores. Just some ideas - I totally understand about the balance between giving department heads what they want and not allowing yourself to be abused. There's a whole psychology to the thing! LOL! Good luck!
  • Ruthyjenks
    Options
    We don't need more junk food advertising, we need less!!! Everyone is already hooked!

Well done for saying NO. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!