the dreaded weekends

Options
i do pretty good during the week...i stay mostly on track because i work M-F and need to bring all my food with me to work. it's too much of a hassle to go out and get stuff, and i don't want school lunch (i work in an elementary school). but over the weekend it's like my brain falls out! is it because i'm home and have more access to food? because i don't have to work and can go places? i don't really snack per se, but i do struggle to stick to a regular eating schedule.

what are some of your weekend survival tips?

Replies

• jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My Saturdays are hectic because I spend them with family and our meals are never very healthy. I try to eat a lighter lunch but still something filling so I can indulge in extra calories for dinner. I also try to get an extra long workout in to help compensate and ALWAYS log everything I'm eating no matter how bad it is...that helps me to stay somewhat accountable even if I do go over. Plus, sometimes I'm not over by as much as I'd think so I feel a little better about it. But Saturday is my 'free' day, if you will. I eat whatever the family is having and ENJOY it! It gives me something to look forward to and keep me on track all week long. Then Sunday is my grocery day. I try to look for a fun new healthy recipe to try and keep it exciting. I also try to get some extra workout time in on Sunday to make up for some busy days during the week.
  • katzav
    katzav Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom, so it's not so much a weekend problem, but a daily problem for me.

I try to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible, and when I'm preparing meals I chew a piece of gum. It's terrible on my TMJ, but I don't pick when I'm cooking.
    I log in ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I EAT, AS I EAT IT! This way I can't forget about it.

Hope this helps!
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chocolate, and a good substitute for me lately has been Jell-O pudding sugar-free pudding snacks that are only 60 calories each. So when I have to sit in front of the TV (to catch a show I really want to watch), I grab my pudding snack. Otherwise, I try and avoid sitting in front of the TV as much as I can - that's when I tend to grab a bag of chips. I also try to track meticulously and make sure that I workout during the weekends. My rest day is usually during the week when I do better on my eating habits.
  • tekroncke
    tekroncke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    healthy choice fudge bars! 100 cals 4g of fiber.
    I know what you mean about weekends. I love to cook and that is my downfall. I just focus on the good foods and keep the calories down and the fresh quality up.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You like most people struggle on the weekends. What i use for my motivation is my Saturday am workout.

I try to KILL KILL KILL Myself in the gym to compensate for the extra calories I will probably consume Saturday nights !!!
  • rice161
    rice161 Posts: 59
    Options
    Sounds like a theme but I make Saturdays my cheat day. That also means I need to earn some MAJOR exercise calories so I go to Zumba an hour and walk too. It usually earns me almost another 1000 calories at my weight! Then I can eat what I want and no guilt! Sundays are a day of working around the house and cooking in advance for the next week so I don't usually have to many issues.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I make sure to be more active on the weekends just to offset the higher amount of calories that I know I will eat. Like today I spent 2 hours raking my yard and getting all the leaves cleaned up. Tomorrow will be my mega cleaning day and I make sure to keep it booking while I do it to burn the calories. I also do not keep any snack food in the house. That way if I really want chips I make myself walk 6 blocks to the gas station for a small bag. Each weekend that goes by gets easier for me. :)
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm pretty much the opposite. My job is so boring I can easily overeat at work, while my 'weekend' eating is much easier to control.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I make sure to be more active on the weekends just to offset the higher amount of calories that I know I will eat. Like today I spent 2 hours raking my yard and getting all the leaves cleaned up. Tomorrow will be my mega cleaning day and I make sure to keep it booking while I do it to burn the calories. I also do not keep any snack food in the house. That way if I really want chips I make myself walk 6 blocks to the gas station for a small bag. Each weekend that goes by gets easier for me. :)

This to a point. One of the biggest changes for me though has been to go to bed. Weekends used to be late nights with wine and long lay ins followed by fry ups. Now I try and stick to a normal weekly routine and go to bed before midnight and get up and do stuff the next day. I walk a lot on Sundays. That said, my friends think I'm very boring!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My "weekends" can fall on any days of the week, but whenever they come & I know I'll be indulging a little, I try to make sure to have a workout. Like today, my cal. goal was really low (1280), but I knew I would be going out to brunch with hubby and then just hanging around the house (lots of cals, in, and very few out!).

So I played around with my food diary to enter what I thought I might want to eat for the day, and it showed me clearly that I would be over by 300 cal. or so. Knowing that I was likely to eat all the entered foods anyway, I made myself go out and spend 40 minutes at the gym. Totally worth it, and now I can have my ice cream while I'm watching TV and my handful of nuts in the middle of the night. Mmm...