tea or coffee or both?

Options
My wife and I are going back and forth on this question. does tea or coffee count as a glass of water? I understand that it does not count because of the sweetner that is used in it such as diet snapple. but what if it is freshly brewed iced tea with nothing in it?same with coffee? please help...

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert,but I count my fresh brewed tea as water.I`m curious to hear what others think.
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Tea and coffee are both diuretics so it doesn't count as water. Water hydrates your body; tea and coffee dehydrate your body.

If you need some taste in your water, try Disani water by Coca Cola. It's sweeter.

You can also drink some very diluted iced black tea.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert,but I count my fresh brewed tea as water.I`m curious to hear what others think.

I do the same with my tea.. green tea straight up, nothing in it.
    My coffee, however, I do not.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Flavored water, iced tea - I count as water; I add coffee to my food diary & don't count it as water 'cause it's kind of a diuretic.:huh:
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I drink both -- coffee in the AM and green tea in the afternoon and a cup of chai tea with almond milk at bedtime. But I don't count them as my water intake. I have a 1 liter bottle of water that I refill 2x a day and that gives me my water. Plus I have a glass of water at lunch and supper (usually 16-20oz). And a 20oz glass of water right after my workout. Jeez...no wonder I spend 1/2 my day in the little girls' room.
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I heard if its decaf you can count it as water as long as there is nothing in it!
  • Beeloved88
    Options
    It's interesting that you ask that question. I drink freshly brewed coffee and tea everyday. I use Nevella (no calorie, artificial sweetner) in both. I definitely consider them both as contributing to my daily water intake because other than the little bit of ground coffee beans and the tea bag, you're basically consuming heated water with a little added sugar (artificial or not). And don't get me started on their diuretic benefits. They have me running to the bathroom like I just drank a gallon of water. Lol Hope this helped answer your question.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Water is water...doesn't matter whether you mix it with something in your cup, or in your stomach...it's all going to the same place. Now, the caffeine effects, undigestible oils, artificial sweeteners...those are different issues on the bod. Probably should drink extra water to make up for the additional sodium and diuretic effects of the coffee and diet sodas.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Both