ALWAYS check the nutritional values before indulging!!!

Options
WOW!!!! And I thought I was making a good choice!!

I am a huge Starbucks fan. No not fan. Junkie!! I have (since joining MFP) however switched from a grande caramel macchiato to a tall skinny caramel macchiato with non fat milk. A difference of almost 800 calories a week for me!

Well what I continued to do was get myself a banana nut loaf slice whenever I felt a little hungry, just cause I was already there. I would do this twice or three times a week. Today, I saw a new pumpkin loaf, and thought I would try that out for a change. But, because I had such a great workout this morning (all week actually!) I felt the need to check the nutritional value of it first.

OMG!!!! 370 calories!!! No, not for the whole loaf! Just a slice! But that's not the worst of it! I was so disgusted and in such disbelief that I checked the banana nut loaf values too. I thought for sure it would be much less than the pumpkin one...

490 CALORIES!!!!!!!!!

So here I was trying to save myself a hundred or so calories with switching each of my drinks, but I was then adding another 500 to the day with a stupid banana nut slice! DUH!!! Two or three of those a week ADDS UP!!!!

Moral of the story is... Check the values first!!!!

Amen!

Replies

• ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Darn- I hate it when that happens! I think we've all had those moments. fyi-Hungry Girl website has a recipe for banana bread that is only, I think, 120 calories for a thick slice. I keep planning on trying it but haven't yet.
  • lot013
    lot013 Posts: 53
    Options
    My moment was the 1300 calories for the Pecan Chicken salad at TGI Friday's one day. I ordered it thinking salad was the least fattening choice...even knowing pecans were probably high in calories. Looked it up later, and it was almost the whole day's worth of calories! Amazing what a little knowledge can do... I now check nutritional information before eating things!
  • betseeee
    betseeee Posts: 1
    Options
    It's absolutely shocking how caloric the snacks are at Starbucks. When NYC started requiring chains to list calories on menu items, it really opened my eyes to how bad that stuff actually was! It does help me save my "treat" calories for stuff that actually feels like a treat.
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    OMG I love the banana bread slice. I rarely eat it but now I will feel guilty.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pecan Pie is pretty scary. I think the nutritional information should have read:

Calories: If you need to know, you shouldn't eat this. :laugh:
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    We have a restaurant here in town called Smashburger...my boyfriend and i went there a few weekends ago for a quick burger. i came home and went online to check the stats on the bbq burger that i wolfed down. 1198 calories and 74 grams of fat! i almost dropped dead right then...
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    Wow! I mean, stories like these remind me how I got so overweight. Assuming things that look so innocent and small and underestimating their caloric value... A salad can sometimes be the worst choice at a restaurant!!
  • aml17
    aml17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a starbucks junkie as well. Iced venti caramel machiatto. I always drank non fat milk (cant stand the taste of 2%), which brings my drink from 300 cal to 240. If you want to cut your drink in calories even more, starbucks uses regular vanilla syrup which has 20 calories per pump, and my drink has 5. Just by switching to sugar free vanilla (which I think tastes the same) I got my drink down to 140 calories! Definitely don't feel guilty drinking it almost every day now! lol