Alzheimer’s Disease Breakthrough

Options
Did anyone see Dr Oz show the other day?? Glad to see we are all on the right road to managing our weight and heath and have a leg up on our cure to this aweful disease through diet and knowledge ... they called Alzheimers .. diabetes of the brain ..

The four foods Dr. de la Monte is most worried about is smoked meat like bacon, ham and turkey, processed cheese foods, beer and white foods like white flour, white pasta, white rice and sugar. Dr. Oz said to look at the label on foods for “sodium nitrite” as this is one of the chemical preservatives that can break down the blood/brain barrier. Dr. Carmona said to stay away from foods containing nitrites as much as possible.

this is the link to the article ...

http://newsfuzion.com/2011/04/08/dr-oz-reports-on-alzheimers-disease-breakthrough/

Replies

• furfighter
    Options
    Thank you for this.
    :flowerforyou:
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks for the link.
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great information, thanks for posting!
  • mikomikasa
    mikomikasa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the informative post. Staying away from nitrites is VERY hard, though. My dad has dementia which is slowly developing into Alzheimer's and the medication he is on requires him not to eat ANY nitrites at all. The list of foods he can't eat is about 10 miles long!
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your Dad .. my understanding is t hat it is the sodim nitrates in perserved and processed food called nitrosamines that are the problem ...

Nitrates are in lots of those great foods like leafy greens .... Hope your Dad gets better ...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. It seems rather circumstantial, but I'll definitely research this as the massive amounts of these foods one would have to consume contradict the volume of victoms. There is far more evidence that beta-methylamino-L-alanine (a product of the green sludge that forms in most soil among other places) may be the true culprit.

BMAA has not only been linked to Alzheimers, but Parkinsons Disease as well.

Of course, so has mercury, and whip-lash type injuries.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    Dr. Suzanne de la Monte of Rhode Island Hospital was doing research on another form of disease when she accidentally discovered the link between diabetes, preservative laden foods and Alzheimer’s disease. Dr Oz said that he never knew that the brain produced insulin ... which is a huge requirement ... and what happens is that these sodium nitrates make your brain insulin resistant... This is a huge break through and hope we can all benefit from it ...

More for us to read on labels .. better yet .. just eat real food that has not been altered in any way ..
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    FWIW, there are several neurological diseases that have been associated with nitrates. Also, MSG, which is even more harmful to those same neurons.
  • koosdel
    Options
    FWIW, there are several neurological diseases that have been associated with nitrates. Also, MSG, which is even more harmful to those same neurons.

MSG, I could go on and on about this stuff. It's probly more addictive than nicotine. A rancid derivative of fish bile used for nothing other than to cause cravings of the food stuffs its added to. This stuff would make one enjoy goat turds.
  • heathernsugar
    Options
    I LOVE DR OZ!! HE IS SO AWESOME--IT WAS SO VERY INTERESTING WASN'T IT????
  • heathernsugar
    Options
    ALSO MSG CAUSES RECTAL BLEEDING--my GI doctor told me this too!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary to use consume such additives--I think you can get better tasting dishes by using fresh, healthy ingredients.

However, there has been NO scientific evidence that MSG causes adverse side effects when it's consumed with food. There have been a some studies that have shown it can be an irritant to some individuals when administered on its own (i.e in capsule form--not added to food) in excessive doses. Most of MSG's bad rap comes from anecdotal evidence, and many people who claim to have "sensitivities" to MSG, show the same symptoms when given placebos in double-blind studies. I DO believe some people are sensitive to it, but evidence suggests NOT at the rates that people report.
  • koosdel
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary to use consume such additives--I think you can get better tasting dishes by using fresh, healthy ingredients.

However, there has been NO scientific evidence that MSG causes adverse side effects when it's consumed with food. There have been a some studies that have shown it can be an irritant to some individuals when administered on its own (i.e in capsule form--not added to food) in excessive doses. Most of MSG's bad rap comes from anecdotal evidence, and many people who claim to have "sensitivities" to MSG, show the same symptoms when given placebos in double-blind studies. I DO believe some people are sensitive to it, but evidence suggests NOT at the rates that people report.

I agree that there is still debate on side effects of MSG. MSG has been used as a food additive for thousands of years, if it were that toxic, I doubt its use would have survived. My issue with MSG is why it is used. In ancient times, it was used to make less appealing foods more desirable. Now its used to make foods sell better.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    :smile: I agree--it's not necessary and why put something in your body that you don't need to if there's even a slight chance that it could harm you?