breaking out more than usual??

Options
Help!! I wasn't sure where else to post this.....but I need some advice. I usually never got acne, maybe a pimple on my forehead or chin 3 times a year, but recently, I've been breaking out so much! I have blotches all over my chest, and 5 pimples (and counting) on my forehead. Any advice? Remedies? Thanks!

Replies

• heartpdx
    heartpdx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :sad: me too... would love to hear remedies!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Depends on the causes.

Are you on any kind of birth control? Did you change it recently or just start? Did you change soap, perfume or lotion? Are you near your period? Is pregnancy a possibility? There's a ton of possible causes and the solutions are based more on the cause than the problem itself.

But, for general topical treatment, salicylic acid based products (2%) are your best bet. All the major companies have *something* on the market - Aveeno, Oxy, Nutragena, Olay... etc. Take your pick. I'd avoid benzoil peroxide. It's harsh and can have the opposite effect by drying out the skin so much that it responds by producing excess oils to rehydrate, causing more breakouts. These will not STOP the breakouts (prevent future break-outs is a crock), necessarily. If it's an internal issue, then you need to figure out what's out of whack. If it's external, then you need to figure out what that is and change it (if you can).

And - you're 18. Could simply be a hormonal shift and there's not a thing you can do other than topical treatments and wait.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I did for a little when I first started. How much water are you drinking? I stopped breaking out when I started making sure that I drank 8+ cups of water a day.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I used to always have at least 1 or 2 or 4 pimples popping up very regularly, even into my 30's. I tried various washes, etc, which did nothing. What seemed to do the trick is drinking plenty of water. Now they are extremely rare or non-existant. Just my 2 cents... for all I know you're already drinking tons of water.
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    It's probably from sweat buildup. Make sure you wash thoroughly and exfoliate your chest once in a while (not your face, that would hurt), but you can exfoliate your face every once and a while. get a deep cleanser but make sure it's right for your skin type. plus, drink LOTS of water! It makes a huge difference.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Dihydrogen monoxide. It works.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use Aveeno clear complexion bar on my face, but I'm sure you could use it on other trouble areas. I don't know where you are, but around here it's getting warmer and my skin gets much oilier and I have to be careful about keeping it clean and exfoliated. Water, of course. The CC bar is really reasonably priced compared to some of the other products.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

:smile: it really is a miracle molecule.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

It is. I don't agree with the negative claims people make about it. Damn them and their phony ideas of rubbish. I utilize it everyday. :bigsmile:
  • simplexserenity
    simplexserenity Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you're not getting enough fat in your diet? I had to eventually go on Accutane because of my issues with acne as a result of losing so much weight. I do not in any way recommend it but it did work for me and at the time I had no other choice. I would recommend making sure you're getting enough Omega 3's in your diet..it's easy to lose nutrients that are good for your skin and hair when dieting because we cut back on so many things the rest of our body needs. If it gets worse I'd ask your doctor.
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When I started working out regularly that happened to me....I was breaking out in my face a lot....when I normally didn't do as much....more than likely is because of the extra sweat.....& I agree ...drink more WATER...water flushes out your system from the inside & out....I started drinking more water...& to get the breakouts out of control ....I use proactive...exfoliating works....good luck
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options

It is. I don't agree with the negative claims people make about it. Damn them and their phony ideas of rubbish. I utilize it everyday. :bigsmile:
    There's a movement to ban it for all of its negative properties. I.E. drowning, bloating, hazardous torture techniques to name a few.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Seriously... your acne is a result of excess acid in your system. It isn't caused by chocolate or exercise, etc. The best remedy is proper diet and like so many others have said.... lots of water. It changes the ph from acidic to alkaline.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ive been acne prone since 15, im 26 now.
    I had to cut eggs from my diet cuz they break me out (hormones) I need to drink organic milk also
    I use black soap to cleanse...its drying so you need a good moisturizer I use mark's matte chance in the morning...
    and at night its proactiv repairing lotion only before bed
    a couple times a week i put on a seaweed mask...helps with breakouts

good luck...
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Seriously... your acne is a result of excess acid in your system. It isn't caused by chocolate or exercise, etc. The best remedy is proper diet and like so many others have said.... lots of water. It changes the ph from acidic to alkaline.
    real acne problems are based on hormones! no amount of water or the greatest diet will help it....I know this all to well...same as weight.."hormones!!"

just gotta find a way to control it...and dark chocolate breaks me out more than milk chocolate.. regular milk chocolate breaks some people out because of the milk..added hormones feed to cows is the problem...

*future dermatologist*:bigsmile:

p.s if great diet was the best cure why are so many obese and overweight people acne free??....
  • lillypimprock
    Options
    I noticed that as I age and my hormones are shifting that I am breaking out and getting small bumps all over my skin as a result. I was twice a day, using Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming and I often use a sulfur based prescription wash. Still nothing. I drink lots of water and eat fairly well most of the time. I agree with the hormone thing, but a balanced diet certainly doesn't hurt. Body acne can be helped by wearing clothes that whisk moisture away from the skin.
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank God this thread is about acne, I was getting scared for a moment.
  • fallenmack1989
    Options
    I feel ya girl!!!! I have always had acne but not a ton of it, and alway have certain time where I break out.

The best thing to do first is find out WHY your breaking out. All the zit cream int he world won't help you if the cause doesn't ever change.

The seasons changing can definitely cause breakouts, especially going into summer, since you sweat alot more. If this is the case, you should make sure you carry around some blotting pads. This is the kind i use: http://www.sallybeauty.com/blotting-tissue/PLADIO5,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH . These help control oil on your skin caused by your makeup, temperature, and just having oily skin sometimes.

It can also be caused by stress or new makeup(which can clog your pores, making you break out. In both of these cases you can fix it, by changing your makeup brand and doing meditation exercises or overall quitting whatever is stressing you out.

As far as medicine is concerned, the only medicine I have ever used that worked was prescribed by my doctor, and that is Retin-A-Micro: http://www.retinamicro.com/

oh yeah, diet also has alot to do with it too, although I have heard many doctors say that chocolate does NOT make you break out! Your monthly cycle will also cause this, and the only thing that will help that is the right birth control pills and medicine like Retin-a-micro.
  • irasonrisita
    Options
    Thanks guys! Will definitely drink more water, and try some of the suggestions!