Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

easy recipes?

calliope_music
calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
can anyone help me out with recipes, links, websites, whatever, to easy, healthy, not-too-expensive recipes? i'm trying to cut back on processed foods, but i usually don't have the time to make a huge dinner when i get home. i'm trying to feed myself and my hubby. i have no issues with cooking more on Fridays or the weekends, it's just the weeknights that give me difficulty! the only thing that i don't have is a crock pot, but a little birdie told me i'd be getting one next month, so i'll take recipes for that too!

thanks everyone!

Replies

• Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
  • gillianjoon
    gillianjoon Posts: 96 Member
    Go to the Message Board home and scroll down to recipes I have found several there that were great and you can cook ahead of time. Good luck:bigsmile:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    This might be too boring for some folks, but i typically make dinners like this:

Chicken breasts:
    Put in a baking dish, add the juice of 1 lemon if you like
    Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme and bake for about 40 minutes (best to use a meat thermometer to make sure). Actually season it however you like. I started using Old Bay lately for a change of pace.
    If you have the time, it comes out juicier if you brine the chicken first

Salmon:
    Similar, put it in the baking dish, add lemon if you like
    I like to season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dill
    Bake for about 20 minutes
    Alternately, a really yummy way to make salmon is to season w/ salt & pepper, then cover it in a blend of brown sugar & mustard, and bake. mmmm, delicious

Pork Chops
    Recommend brining first, then season simply with salt, pepper, paprika.
    Sear them on a REALLY HOT iron skillet for a few minutes a side to get some browning
    Put the whole skillet in the oven at 350 to finish them off

Side dishes
    Brown rice - cook per directions, but use broth or bullion instead of or in addition to water
    Sweet potato - just bake for about 1 hour
    Salad
    Leafy greans - simple steam or saute, or for super quick-and-easy, get the frozen kind and just microwave. then add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a touch of olive oil.
  • There are a lot of recipes on kraftrecipes.com. You can search by chicken dishes, desserts, etc. Each recipe also has the option to expand a section with all of the nutritional information. I love this site. I even get the magazine from them! Also, an idea to save time during the week... I have a little one and I try to cook 2 or 3 meals on Sunday. Most will keep for the week or you can freeze them. Good luck!!
  • jamierizzo
    jamierizzo Posts: 35 Member
    I love www.allrecipes.com. They have just about anything you could want. I'm always looking for something new and different to make and this is where I go everytime :)
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/meals-under-300-calories-10000001920441/all.html

some of these are quick, and some are good to prepare ahead of time. a little something for everybody!
  • rice161
    rice161 Posts: 59
    Have you ever tried Cooking Light? They have a magazine AND a website. The best part is that they take good comfort food you usually avoid when improving your life style and instead make it healthy but still tasty! I've been a subscriber for 5 years now and LOVE it. It's amazing what doesn't have to taste healthy!
  • luv_lite_laftr
    luv_lite_laftr Posts: 23 Member
    this is one of my favorites!!!

Tara's Turkey Mini-Meatloaf
    Biggest Loser season 7 all-star Tara Costa's favorite ranch recipe.
    Per Meatloaf: 110 Calories, 1g Fat, 25mg Cholesterol, 180mg Sodium, 6g Carbohydrates, 16g Protein, <1g Fiber

Yield: Serves 9
    Ingredients

* 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
    * 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
    * 1 stalk of celery, coarsely chopped
    * 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
    * 1 (20-ounce) package JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® lean ground turkey breast
    * 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
    * 2 egg whites

For Topping

* 1/4 cup fat free and sugar free ketchup
    * 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper adobo sauce
    * 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute (such as Splenda® Brand)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F. In the work bowl of a food processor, combine onion, carrots and celery. Pulse until finely chopped. Add chipotle peppers and pulse until just combined.

In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey with the pepper and vegetable mixture. Add egg whites and oats; gently mix until combined. Place about 1/3 cup of the prepared meatloaf mixture into 9 wells of a standard size muffin pan that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Remove meat loaves from oven and spoon the topping over each meatloaf. Return meatloaf to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until meatloaf is firm and the internal temperature registers 170°F. Let meatloaf stand for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 9 mini loaves.
  • luv_lite_laftr
    luv_lite_laftr Posts: 23 Member
    and you can freeze these mini meatloaves- they are perfect for dinner in a pinch. I buy the biggest can of the adoboe peppers and just freeze what I don't use (if you put them in a large ziploc and spread them out before freezing, you can take as many or as few as you like...
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    oooh yummy, i will have to try all of these!
  • new_view
    new_view Posts: 47 Member
    I use the cooking light magazines, weight watchers magazines and clean eating magazines.
    All have low cal, healthy, quick recipes. Many online as well but I find it easier to get the magz because I still have all from last year and I go back and use those too! I never eat the same thing in a month basically haha. Unless I want to!