bike recommendations

Options
I need to lose 100 pounds, so I am a big girl. Also, I have low back issues. I want to start biking but I am experiencing a lot of pain whenever I try. I bought a comfort bike, hoping that the position would be good for my low back. It still hurts. Does anyone have recommendations for me? I don't know if I need bike seat that is a lot bigger. If so, can you recommend a website? I live in northern Canada and the stores aren't great. Does anyone out there own a day 6 or recumbent bike. If so, do you like them? Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

Replies

• dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I own a LifeFitness recumbent bike (I was 320 lbs). My Dr. recommended it becasue I have a bad knee. I love it! Would probably be good for your back too, because it has a seat with a back to it.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Ahem, this is one I can relate to. I love to bike and I need to lose over 100 lbs too. Which comfort bike did you buy? I was deciding between the Trek Navigator (is that the one you bought) & the Marin Stinson.....I bought the Marin Stinson - the male version with the bar across because it FIT perfectly. I bought a cute purple Jellibell for it, have a water bottle cage, and I put a purple Camelbak Better Bottle in it.....so although my bike is silver, my accessories are purple.

I absolutely LOVE my bike but there are times that my sitz bones can hurt on it, is that what you're referring to?
  • dagza
    dagza Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a suspension seatpost?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First suggestion for ANYONE looking to buy a bike is go to a bike specialty shop, not sure what part of northern Canada you're in but I've seen them in many little villages during my travels.

Get measured for a bike, the best bike for you will be one that fits, regardless of current injuries, as if it fits right you're less likely to injure yourself using it, when I'm on a proper fitting bike I can go for a 100km ride and not worry about it, but on a department store bike I can't go much more than 25km before feeling it. Once you're fitted pick the right type of bike for your riding, road bike if you're on pavement all the time, hybrid if you'll have some limited off-road and mountain bike if it's all rough trails / gravel roads etc. I always get the mountain bike anyway myself :)
  • Tigerfish62
    Options
    I bike often, have had back surgery in 1999. The bike I bought and love is an Electra. Look them up online and find a retailer near you. You can only buy at retailer or used if you can find it. They have a few different styles. I have a classic cruiser, big butt seat standard. : ) Just a larger seat. Mine is a three speed. You may prefer the Townie, which has a "pedal forward" technology (7 speed). My friend bought one and she also has had back surgery. I did not care for the feel of the Townie. The store should let you ride each one and see for yourself.

I did find a used one for $200, at a used store, found it for another friend, classic cruiser style, half price of new. I am not a "speed rider" Can do about 8-10 miles in a hour, depending on wind drag. Good luck, biking is great exercise and burns calories without stressing back, knees, and hips. You may have a slight backache at first but once you are used to it, nada. Let me know if you like the bike.
  • BrownSuccess
    BrownSuccess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much. It will be so good to get out and enjoy the out of doors.
  • glock454u
    glock454u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First suggestion for ANYONE looking to buy a bike is go to a bike specialty shop, not sure what part of northern Canada you're in but I've seen them in many little villages during my travels.

Get measured for a bike, the best bike for you will be one that fits, regardless of current injuries, as if it fits right you're less likely to injure yourself using it, when I'm on a proper fitting bike I can go for a 100km ride and not worry about it, but on a department store bike I can't go much more than 25km before feeling it. Once you're fitted pick the right type of bike for your riding, road bike if you're on pavement all the time, hybrid if you'll have some limited off-road and mountain bike if it's all rough trails / gravel roads etc. I always get the mountain bike anyway myself :)

Cant stress enough the part about being properly fitted to your bike!!!!!!!!!!

I am 6'4" 270# - considered a "clydesdale" biker due to my size.

I had back surgery 6 years ago (ruptured disk in L5) and have still been riding ever since.

I currently have a 21" Trek Fuel X7 full suspension bike.

Even after purchasing the bike I have replaced the seat ( a few times) to find the best fit and keep from going numb due to pressure on groin nerves.
    I had to raise the handlebars and change out the grips as my hands were falling asleep.

A good resource is:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/396310-groin-numbness-during-cycling/
    &
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/399088-cycling-wrist-pain/

Hope this helps - happy riding
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    What seat are you using? My sitz bones hurrrrt. What seats have you used?
  • glock454u
    glock454u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What seat are you using? My sitz bones hurrrrt. What seats have you used?

This is my current seat - http://www.bicycleseats.org/extra-deep-relief-zone.htm - its wonderful but more geared for us guys Instead of riding for 10 miles and limping off the bike in pain I now can do 25 and just be sore (the good kind) without the pain.

This site has alot of options and should answer just about any question in relation to bike seats http://www.bicycleseats.org/