Just curious.

Options
Does anyone else have extremely long hair and find it distracting / makes you WAY hotter when you're working out?
Last night I forgot to take a hair tie with me to the gym and I could only work out for half an hour because I felt like I was over heating, haha.
Btw, my hair is about 2 inches away from my butt. It's long.

Replies

• TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I cut off and donated over 13" a couple of years ago, then cut off and donated another 9" this past winter. When I had my hair really long, I always did a "Lara Croft" style pony tail with a braid. I don't think I looked much like her in any other aspect, but it worked great for exercise!
    Good luck!
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Mine's getting pretty long too... i'm growing out what were once side bangs and those are fricken distracting when I try to run on the treadmill! I almost instantly hop off and go running for the bathroom to grab a bobby pin. :mad:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    No, but my hair is black and sometimes in the middle of summer, you can literally fry on egg on my head :laugh: .
    I have to remember to bring a hat or a bandanna when hiking, going to the beach, etc.

That is impressively long hair!
    When I was a kid my hair was almost that long but my Mom cut it all off b/c it was impossible to run a comb through it! Turns out they now know there is condition called 'Uncombable Hair Syndrome'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncombable_hair_syndrome

...but no, I don't actually have that. I was just too lazy and impatient to comb my hair !!! :embarassed:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Mine's getting pretty long too... i'm growing out what were once side bangs and those are fricken distracting when I try to run on the treadmill! I almost instantly hop off and go running for the bathroom to grab a bobby pin. :mad:

I have those sidebangs too and I just wear a head band along with the ponytail to keep the bangs off my face when I work out. Works very well!
  • ChelseyGray
    Options
    Haha, you guys are hilarious. =)

When I'm going hard, my hair just whips around.. haha.

And I've been thinking of donating my hair as well, since I lost my sister to cancer a few years ago. =(
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Haha, you guys are hilarious. =)

When I'm going hard, my hair just whips around.. haha.

And I've been thinking of donating my hair as well, since I lost my sister to cancer a few years ago. =(

(((HUGS))) I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Donating your hair would be a nice way to contribute to a good cause, in your sister's memory.
  • ChelseyGray
    Options
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking. =)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I have to have a hair tie, too. I usually put it in a ponytail, but don't pull the ends all the way through so I have a loop thing. Then, I have to clip back mt bangs to keep them out of my eyes. I will NEVER get hit on at the gym, and if I do, I'm not interested because his standards are way too low...
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My hair is just past my tailbone (bottom of my butt), and I hear ya! I've taken to putting my hair up most days for work and gym. I use hair sticks, but a pencil will do in a pinch! There are several good styles that will stay put - I can even run in mine. A good one is the "lazy wrap bun". Do a Google search for it and you'll find several videos with how-tos. It's very simple and only takes about 30 seconds to do once you get the hang of it. Also, check out the website Long Hair Community for lots of great styles.

And to donating your hair if you cut it, PLEASE research the charity first. Not all actually provide free wigs to cancer kids. Locks of Love is one with a really bad rep in the long hair world. They sell hair and charge for most of the wigs they make. :angry: There ARE good charities out there, but you have to do your homework to find one.

Here's to all us long-hairs! :drinker:
  • ChelseyGray
    Options
    I have to have a hair tie, too. I usually put it in a ponytail, but don't pull the ends all the way through so I have a loop thing. Then, I have to clip back mt bangs to keep them out of my eyes. I will NEVER get hit on at the gym, and if I do, I'm not interested because his standards are way too low...

Haha, I'm sure you're still looking great!

I know what you mean, I once wasn't looking great, and some guy came up to me and said "I'm a personal trainer, I've been watching you & I love what you're doing."

I was like "Excuse me? I'm on the treadmill, sweating like crazy, my hair is swinging around.. I know you're not trying to hit on me."

Some people.
  • fallenmack1989
    Options
    I have been growing my hair out recently and right now (when it is bone straight) it is about 4-5 inches below my shoulders, which isn't really really long but its long enough to to be annoying when working out if its down. I usually put it in a ponytail but more of a bun, so that its kinda a loop, that way it doesn't move around alot. I have red hair so I don't get cooked by the sun or anything, but if my head does get hot when working out I usually go into the bathroom, run really cold water, and kinda work some water into my hair, which works pretty good at cooling ya down.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    My gym has a couple packages of hair ties if you forget one they will give you one :) I figured this out when I said " ah **** I forgot a hairtie" and she gave me one :)
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't let anyone I don't trust touch my hair, that's why I cut my own. :D
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just got some spin pins and they are AMAZING! They hold my hair (which is rather long and thick) in a bun all day, including through a workout. And they're fun to play with....

Goody makes them, I found mine at Target/Walgreens but they're all over. And amazing.