Ugh I was doing so well, and now....

Options
Sway
Sway Posts: 100 Member
For about two weeks I was doing so well, being extrememly disciplined. I saved up my calories so I could eat out. That was yesterday. I didn't even go over my calories by that much at all. But for some reason my motivation and disciplined are sinking. I'm avoiding all cravings, which is great. And I'm will powering my will power to come back. But I am worried about when I eat out with friends and stuff again. I'm SO planned with everything. I don't want things to throw me off this easily.

Just wanted to talk about it, is all.

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    For me things just get hard if I indulge at all. And it sucks, but I'm finally getting some place with my triggers
    Sorry you're finding this is happening with you. I would really take a look at whether you do need your indulgences to keep going as many people find it helpful. Or perhaps see if you're a person who is a planner (as am I) and maybe indulgences like eating out make it difficult to keep your motivation. Is there any alternatives to eat when going out with friends
  • jquinte4
    jquinte4 Posts: 17
    Options
    You're not alone! I've been feeling the same way :grumble:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Keep making good choices. I find it's easier to allow myself a treat or two every day... then I don't have the feeling that I'm depriving myself for nothing.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great! You planned and saved calories. You indulged, yet didn't go over your calorie goal (at least not by much). You're paying attention to triggers. And you came back.

We all go through doubts as to whether we can continue to do this. Keep up the good work, and take it one day at a time.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me I can't "restrict" an item entirely or I just want it and lots of it when it's available. If I know I'm going to have a piece of cake or something I don't think about eating more than that, it was a treat, maybe even a couple of hard candies. Just keeps me from wanting it.
  • Sway
    Options
    Yes I'm definitely a planner. I know that I'm actually doing quite well, esp given the fact that family members have very good temptations about three feet away from me. I just liked the fact the I it was very easy for me to avoid things before. And today hasn't been as easy. But I've not given into any of the temptations. So I guess that's a good thing. Thanks for the support!!
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I have seen a couple of posts on here about people being "afraid". I never understood it until I saw someone say that sometimes they look in the mirror and ask themselves "how long do you think you can keep this up". Then, I understood, because in my own way I have felt the same way at times. I think to myself - do I see myself doing this 5 years from now? That is when my motivation falters. Then I stop myself and remember that I don't have to worry about 5 years from now. I just have to worry about now. And after an hour or so of surfing the MFP boards, seeing the friends I have chosen that have lost 80 and 150 pounds, and a good workout I am back on top. :smile:

And for planning - I do plan for eating out too. I check menus online ahead of time and plan what I am going to have and psych myself up for it as a special treat. I don't look forward to eating out - I look forward to eating the specfic item(s) I am going to have.
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how your feel. I am so afraid of getting to this point myself and I desperately need to find the answer to this. I've be successful 2 times in losing my weight, but I gain it back within a year or two. I wish I knew the answer. I am hoping to find out by belonging to this site and talking to the many fine people such as yourself. I think the great thing is we can all talk to each other and support each other.
    All I can say is take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute and constantly remind yourself that you are worth all this effort. You don't want to go back to the way you used to be because it is soooooo miserable. And you don't want to start all over again. OMG, it is so awful!
  • Sway
    Options
    Yes, thanks for the support. I feel much better already. When I start to crave anything, I pop in a piece of gum, and have water. It helps....

I agree, I'm definitely thinking about the now, and I'd love to get to my goal weight, maintain, and hope it lasts! I guess that's everyone's goal though lol!!

Thanks so much guys!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm definitely a planner. I know that I'm actually doing quite well, esp given the fact that family members have very good temptations about three feet away from me. I just liked the fact the I it was very easy for me to avoid things before. And today hasn't been as easy. But I've not given into any of the temptations. So I guess that's a good thing. Thanks for the support!!

Be proud of your accomplishment. You didn't give in to your temptation. That is awesome. Don't look at this as a problem. This was the 1st test of many and you passed it. No one said it was going to be easy and believe me it will get harder, but once you are able to stand up against the craving monster and not flinch you will see that all the struggles was well worth it.

You are on your way...baby steps. In time situations like this will be a breeze for you.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    And today hasn't been as easy. But I've not given into any of the temptations. So I guess that's a good thing.

That's the most important part of everything that you've said. I remember having those days where it seemed like all I wanted was something I knew shouldn't have ... where temptation was everywhere, and it took every bit of my willpower not to give in. What I've learned is that it's okay to feel like it's really hard sometimes. Because it IS, in fact, really hard sometimes. What matters most is how you respond. You either give in or you don't. If you don't, that's a victory. It may be a very hard-won victory, but it's a victory. You're on the right path. You just have to keep going.