Anti-Vegtables

Options
I have a little bit of a problem...I DON'T do veggies! I can handle green beans, corn, peas and salad but anything else is a no go! I am wondering if maybe V8 would be a good option for me or not. I have also been trying to "hide" them in with what I cook but I am starting to wonder if the lack of vegtables is holding me back. Suggestions??

Replies

• Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ...anything else is a no go!

Why?
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Eeek - wish I could help but I don't have a clue. I love my fruit and veg so that's not been the problem for me...mine is very simply liking salty stuff and heavy carbs. I'm sure someone on here though will be able to help!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cauliflower? Cauliflower can mask as several different foods. I have been trying to watch my carbs / increase my vegetables, and have found that Cauliflower can be used in "mock" mashed potatoes, Cauliflower "rice", and (believe it or not) a Cauliflower pizza crust. The mashed potatoes are surprisingly good! And the cauliflower pizza crust is to die for!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Its deff holding you back...I used to hate lots of foods, but when they give you results, you will start to like them. V8 has too much sodium. v8 is a no go too.
  • asmith0301
    asmith0301 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ...anything else is a no go!

Why?

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with being "punished" with vegtables as a kid. I remember crying, gagging, practically throwing myself on the floor over vegtables at a young age. I'm working on it but they are just gross to me.
  • asmith0301
    Options
    Have you tried cauliflower? Cauliflower can mask as several different foods. I have been trying to watch my carbs / increase my vegetables, and have found that Cauliflower can be used in "mock" mashed potatoes, Cauliflower "rice", and (believe it or not) a Cauliflower pizza crust. The mashed potatoes are surprisingly good! And the cauliflower pizza crust is to die for!

I have never heard of that, I will have to try it for sure. Thanks!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit of a problem...I DON'T do veggies! I can handle green beans, corn, peas and salad but anything else is a no go! I am wondering if maybe V8 would be a good option for me or not. I have also been trying to "hide" them in with what I cook but I am starting to wonder if the lack of vegtables is holding me back. Suggestions??

Green beans are good.. corn is a starch and not good, and peas are actually one of the least healthy vegetables. Salad can be ruined with lots of dressing, lol.. so yeah..

My husband can't eat any vegetables besides green beans, either.. we both take GNC's Ultra Mega Green vitamins, and they literally have all of the good things that your daily intake of vegetables should have, PLUS more! And they're not too expensive (a lot of times they have the buy one get one half off sale). They have extracts from a lot of vegetables.. I would suggest those to you! I would suggest the ones with iron, since you're a lady. :)
  • asmith0301
    Options
    Lol yeah I definitely am having an issue in the vegtable dept. I will check those vitamins out. Thanks!
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I watch my niece sometimes and she hates veggies. The solution? Hide them in something yummy! For example I put spinach in fruit smoothies! I like to make smoothies for breakfast and this is amazing!
    Also, it is very easy to chop up celery with onions and hide them in a casserole. Also, I like to make homemade scones made with applesauce and whole wheat flour. I put some zuccinni in them.....healthier than zuccinni bread, but just as yummy.

Are you against carrot and celery sticks? I cook these with roasts in the crock pot with onions and red potatoes.....soooo good! I snack on them too!

I make homemade soups too! You can't beat chicken stock soups with carrots, celery, onions, and corn in them!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My wife tried to get me to eat asparagus for nearly 20 years. I finally gave in and its my favorite vegetable. I just remember hating it as a child lol. I'll eat just about any vegetable i can get my hands on. I've even started eating greens. Be like Mikey on the old Life cereal commercials. Try anything!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options

I completely understand. I have to choke down green beans and besides that I can't stand any other veggies. I think I'm going to get some and hide them in food so I just have to eat them, but that's kinda hard since I'm the one that makes the food.

Good luck to you. I have no advice for you, just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I'm not a veggie lover by any stretch but I've been trying to add more options to my diet by getting a little creative:

1 - I add raw baby spinach leaves to my turkey wraps
    2 - I eat green bell peppers, cucumbers or baby carrots with hummus
    3 - Steam up some frozen veggies and mix in with brown rice
  • wwpatty
    wwpatty Posts: 3
    Options
    i have never been a good veggie eater, either.

Try the steamer bags, some of them have a light sauce, don't add a lot of calories, and taste a lot better.

Also, Albertson's has steamer bags, not in frozen foods, but, in the vegetable dept. They're inexpensive and you can steam them, then add Philadelphia Cream Cheese cooking sauce. There are different flavors. Don't use a lot, maybe a couple of tablespoons or even less, depending on portion size. Add some pepper, a little seasoning blend, they're good!

Try mashing some cauliflower with potatoes. Steam some broccolli, maybe cauliflower, baby carrotts, chop them up fine and mix them with pasta and a light alfredo sauce.

Kind of an acquired tasted, but, don't wait as long as I did, to try and acquire it, heck here I am almost 35 or so!!!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I used to hate asparagus too, but that was because my mother used to buy the canned stuff, whereby the fresh lightly steamed veg is lovely.

I think a lot of us have a view of veggies that were cooked till all the flavour and texture was boiled out of them, and it put us off? Maybe you could give yourself a challenge of trying one vegetable a week, research cooking it and move on to another one?

Also you can add grated carrot to lots of things as well as other finely cut vegies, and tinned tomatoes can be used in lots of dishes.

It is well worth persisting!

GG
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'll drink V8 in addition to eating my veggies. The problem I run into is that I really didn't like the taste of the low sodium V8. To be it was just nasty.

I love the steamer bags of veggies. SO convenient when I realize I've forgotten to eat during a homework session
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    For most people, it just takes trying them repeatedly. You CAN train your tastebuds for most things. Typically, you can adjust to things you dislike within about 10-15 tries. So start with the ones you don't dislike AS MUCH as others. Try cooking them in different ways. Pick one and eat it at least a couple of times a week for several weeks, even if you can only stand a bite or two. Gradually, you can learn to tolerate them - and most people find that they actually learn to LIKE at least some of them. :wink:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    For most people, it just takes trying them repeatedly. You CAN train your tastebuds for most things. Typically, you can adjust to things you dislike within about 10-15 tries. So start with the ones you don't dislike AS MUCH as others. Try cooking them in different ways. Pick one and eat it at least a couple of times a week for several weeks, even if you can only stand a bite or two. Gradually, you can learn to tolerate them - and most people find that they actually learn to LIKE at least some of them. :wink:

Great advice. Also, look into getting that cookbook that Jessica Seinfeld wrote that has recipes designed to sneak vegetables into kid's meals. I am not a big fan of sneaking veggies into kids, as they should be taught to eat them on their plate like anything else, but for an adult who can't get past trying new ones, it is a good option.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Just eat lots of the veggies you do like.

I'm kind of picky with what I'll eat so I eat tons of corn, and green beans.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I keep trying new stuff. Somethings I will never like but I'm learning to like others. My new favorite is zuchinni and yellow squash cut up with about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, salt & pepper, and Mrs. Dash Italian Medley seasoning. It is yummy! You can eat it raw or sautee it a little if you like.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    can you puree them and add them to other things...Jessica Seinfeld does have a book out where she gives tips to hide veggies like that in her kids favorite things and thus making the reciepes more healthy too while getting her kids to eat it.

I think she even breads her chicken in a veggie puree before puts the breadcrumbs on and bakes it

I shred tons of veggies and put it in a turkey meatloaf and it is moist and good.

If you eat pasta sauce, you can puree lot of things and hide it in the sauce

I also hide veggies diced in chili or taco meat and when you eat the taco you can barely tell there are veggies in the meat mix

Also if you make any muffins or pancakes you can add shredded veggies just make sure you add a pinch of salt to the shredded veggies and then let them sit on the counter in a strainer to drain a bit of the veggie's excess water before adding them to a mix

My aunt used to make an awesome shredded veggie pizza with zucchini and yellow squash and it was all so small and hidden under the sauce us kids never knew we were eating healthy.

too bad you have such bad memories related to the healthy stuff...maybe you can turn it around for your kids by having a garden and finding new ways to love them