Bad couple days - should I make up for it?

Options
I've been doing well, had a great first week. I enjoy using the site and I feel good meeting my goal.
I have had 2 days in a row now, not so good. I went well over my calorie goals (by 300-500).
I workout at home but our air conditioner went out and it's over 90 degrees outside, I couldn't bring myself to work out, so that is one of my issues. Hopefully that is fixed tomorrow, Monday at the latest.

I want to make up for this overage by maybe spending the next 2-3 days under by 100 or 200 calories. I know you are not supposed to go below 1200 calories, which is my max. I know you should eat your exercise points.

But, do you think if I say earn an additional 300 or 400 calories from exercise (total of 1500-1600) and only ate say 1300, leaving 200 or so calories uneaten, that it would help from tonight and yesterday's overage? Sort of balance it out? Or would it not make much of a difference... would it be worse to not eat all your calories.

Replies

• slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    Our bodies tend to be more forgiving then we tend to give them credit for. My personal opinion would be to not make up for it. So you ate 600-1000 calories more than you should have in two days? To gain a pound, you'd need to be 3,500 calories over your typical intake, and you're far from being 3,500 calories over. Two bad days are not going to derail you. Just get back to what you normally do and you'll be completely fine.

Also, would you mind sending some of that weather to Boston? We'd be much appreciative :)
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. That is a good idea, I went over about 800 so it shouldn't kill me, you are right. I'm more determined now than ever to get back on track, but it does show me where my weak spots are.
    And YES please take the weather! I hate it, and not having our A/C is awful.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "making up for it". What's done is done... just resolve to do better. Don't beat yourself up about it either... we are still human and are trying to break some really hard habits! Your body is still adjusting and everything!

You'll be just fine if you just continue on as planned! Chalk it up to a lesson learned!
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just remember to drink lots of water...not sure what you went over on, but I know when I do thoes calories tend to have lots of sodium in them and that causes me to gain water weight. :grumble:
  • jpw430
    jpw430 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "Making up for it" is never letting a bad day end. Live in today, not in your yesterdays.
  • queenkimie
    Options
    Everyone's right, I can't tell you how many times I have tried to Make up for it by not eating at all the next day, or working out like a fiend...yeah it just makes it worse...That's what the 80- 20 rule is for... you eat right and workout 80% of the time so you can chill and do whatever 20%. Just get back to it and hopefully learn your triggers so you can try to pull yourself out of it next time :)
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I actually do try to "make up for it" when I have gone over my calorie limit. I make a point to work out harder and eat less on those days (or the next day). I haven't gone over very often and do not recommend doing this often, but if I have an occasional bad day, yes, I try to create a calorie deficit to make up for the overage.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Make up for it by jumping back on the horse.

Dont eat less that whats recommended and dont over do the exercise. You dont need to punish yourself .

Dont stress about whats happened look towards the future.
  • goaskdad
    goaskdad Posts: 11
    Options
    I've so been where you are (and more than once). Don't try to make up for it, and don't beat yourself up about it. Just put it behind you and resolve to do your best from this point on. You're next new start begins right now.

You'll have bad days again in the future - we all do. But you're going to have fantastic days too when you eat the perfect amount of calories and actually ENJOY a good long hard workout to boot. Don't get too excited about either - one or two good days don't make you fit any more than one or two bad days make you unfit. Just keep making the right decisions "right now" and you'll eventually get there.

Don't worry about the past - ever!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    you been under a few days I bet so, 300-500 will just set you back a few days from there, its not that bad just walk around the block for the next week and you'll be under 500-700
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks everyone - great advice! Today's already looking better.