bad habit - protein bars

Options
OK, I'm trying to break a bad habit of too many times having protein bars / drinks, as meal replacements. I know it's OK on occasion, but I'm using them too much, and there have been some days that they are about all I consume. I know I should eat more nature, less processed food, so I am hoping by making this public confession, I'll change my ways.

Anyone else had this, or a similar, problem eating habit ??

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating high quality, natural stuff, I don't see why it's a problem. I normally eat a meal replacement shake once a day.. it's low in calories and has the right amount of everything I need, plus extra nutrients normally. Mixed with milk, fruit, and ice makes a delicious "milkshake."
  • arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Options
    You should try a brand called Larabar. They are made of all natural ingredients and really yummy. I wouldn't eat them for all 3 meals but they are good for a quick grab on the go if you dont have time for a real meal occassionally.

Good luck!!!
  • Shannoncore
    Shannoncore Posts: 135
    Options
    i do this from time to time especially at breakfast and lunch because i am usually running out the door to work and since i can take my daughter with me to work i spend my10 or 30 min lunch break with her and eat my high protein and high fiber bars on the way back to my class room. its bad for your body because you don't get enough calories to keep your body out of starvation mode.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You should try a brand called Larabar. They are made of all natural ingredients and really yummy. I wouldn't eat them for all 3 meals but they are good for a quick grab on the go if you dont have time for a real meal occassionally.
    KIND bars are also good and made with ingredients you can pronounce. I don't use them as meal replacements, per se, but they're definitely great as a bigger snack (180-210 calories each).
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I eat them for breakfast. For way too many years I didn't eat breakfast at all and at least now I am getting something,
  • allimac09
    allimac09 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm using them for breakfast and dinner. I usually never ate breakfast so I think it's a good alternative, and it's easy to have for dinner to avoid binging. There's so many different recipes, and if you use a high quality protein shake mix (I use Body By Vi) you get enough nutrients. Then everything for lunch is usually fresh and it is what I'm craving..... I'd make sure to get one good, natural meal in :) And some healthy snacks. Good luck!!!!
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was doing protein bars and shakes for a while and eating a normal dinner. I had to quit when I realized just how much sugar is in them! I couldn't believe it! Now I really try to replace the bars with lots of nuts. I eat pretty much nothing but cashews and pistachios for snacks right now (well, and gummy worms, but those are hopefully going to be gone soon!) and my sugar numbers are looking a lot better. I still do protein shakes after I do a really long run to help me recover, but I'm not sure I want to keep doing that, either. It doesn't seem to do much other than make me a little sick to my stomach.

I have to be honest that it was hard to get off of them because they became such a staple in my diet when I first started losing weight. They became a crutch so I always knew where I stood calorie-wise whenever I had one. It took me a good two weeks to feel comfortable with my new meals after getting off of them.

Good luck and just know that if it's something you really want to get off of, you'll succeed at it!