Morning work outs

Options
Hanna82
Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
I want to start working out first thing in the morning. Should I eat before I work out or after?

Replies

• stephriley
    Options
    This is just me but I have to have something on my stomach. I can't workout on an empty, hungry stomach!! Eat something with protein like toast with peanut butter, egg, or even a piece of fruit. At least for me it makes my workout more effective since I have the energy and my tummy isn't growling!!
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    You have to eat something before you workout out AND after. Whatever you eat before, make sure it's got carbs that are going to hit your system and fuel your workout. If you don't eat before you workout, you'll tire more quickly and the workout won't be as effective. (Even if you don't notice it - I remember doing a personal training session one morning and at one point my trainer looked at me and asked, did you eat breakfast this morning?! It was his nice way of telling me I wasn't working as hard as I normally do)

Whatever you eat after you workout should have some protein to help your muscles recover. My nutritionist also told me that bananas are great to eat after a workout - the potassium is great for sore/tired muscles.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    A great pre-workout snack is a fruit like an apple or banana or something.. then a great post-workout snack is something loaded with protein and some good carbs.. most of the time I do peanut butter, milk, chocolate milk, or yogurt!

I drank a protein shake before I worked out today, but it was a strength training workout.. yesterday before my run I ate an apple.
  • markymark39
    Options
    i have a cup of coffee and a banana on my way to my morning workout. after, i have some greek yogurt and some granola.
  • butterfly0475
    butterfly0475 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I had a trainer last summer, she told me to have a piece of string cheese or a hard boiled egg before I go. Since I got up at 4am, I ate in the car the cheese but think you need something to keep your engery going.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I workout really early in the morning and I don't eat anything. If I workout right after I eat, I get sick to my stomack. I really don't have time in the morning to wait and digest my food, so I workout on an empty stomach.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:30, at the gym by 6am so I don't eat anything before going. The few times I did I felt sick. I do make sure to get something in my stomach immediately following. Usually will do a Carnation Instant Breakfast shake while I get ready for work, holds me over until later in the morning for breakfast. This is just what works for me though. I think people are on both sides of the fence, eat vs. not eat, so try a little something and see what works best for you.
  • fmktjod
    fmktjod Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too work out in the morning b4 work during the weekdays (6am). I have a 1/2 cup of coffee on the way to the gym and am sure to get a good dinner the night b4. My workouts rock each morning. I eat a healthy breakfast afterwards with some carbs and protien.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this just this morning and came across this article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37492881/ns/health-fitness/

I decided to not eat first (even though I was hungry) and I was just fine - had plenty of energy and had a great workout. Everyone probably has their own opinion on this, though. There are probably articles to support each side. Lol! Do what works for you. :smile:
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    I don't like to eat first thing but I find I have a better workout if I do - and I am totally am AM workout person.
    Usually 1/2 a banana or a rice cake -with peanut butter, or crackers and slice of cheese.
    Something to eat in the car - just a little - it helps me have a stronger workout
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    If you do eat, eat something with few carbs. If you're eating a good amount of carbohydrate it rushes into the blood stream and insulin also increases to help maintain your blood glucose and get it into the tissues. Insulin also stimulates glucose transporters to take up more glucose in the cells.

Once exercising glucose transporters are once again brought to membranes of cells to take in excess glucose for energy.

If you ate just before, the effect is doubled, which can make you feel sick since you become hypoglycemic from taking in too much glucose into the tissues due to having both insulin and exercise effects on the transporters.

That's probably why some people feel sick in the morning after eating then exercising, it defeats the purpose. Though eating protein wouldn't be too harmful.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    depends on how you feel.

personally i have to eat something before i work out because if i dont my blood sugar can drop and i'll pass out. and usually if you are doing heavy exercise its good to get some carbs in before, to fuel your workout. of course i'm building muscle, not burning fat right now, so i eat a lot..i eat before and after.