GlutenFree Dieters out there?

Options
having a hard time finding gluten-free options that are low-cal anyone out there have any suggestions, or maybe i'm missing the better for me products?? i need fibers and my body can only handle so many beans and brown rice. i know (and thank goodness) that fruits and veggies have carbs and some fibers, but i'd have to be noshing like a horse to get my DRL. or at least it's my experience. any advice, or meal ideas is GREATLY appreciated. it's been making weight loss a lil extra hard when the normal whole-wheat slice for most, would land e in the hospital, and my GF replacement is almost double the calories! *gasp* i'm also mildly paleo in my diet, so meats and such are a welcome in case you have some awesome recipes to share that has proteins, so no worries! :-D it's greatly appreciated! and hello all!

-Brandi

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've been working on being gluten free off and on for the last couple months and decided I am going back to it. I don't use very many gluten free replacements (because they're spendy, high in cals like you said, and don't taste that great). I don't really have any trouble getting my fiber in though, how much fiber are you wanting to eat a day?

Here's a gluten free thread ~
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/207159-gluten-free-girls-and-guys
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-naan-roti-indian-flat-bread-version-1-189334

I made these naan the other day. First attempt and they weren't bad at all. I had naan instead of rice with my curry, but I made the recipe stretch to 12 serves, not 6. That way they are around 130 cals each. I'm a newly diagnosed celiac so struggling too! Anyone elses tips much appreciated!
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    “Peanut Butter” Banana Muffins (Paleo, gluten & diary free)
    photo.jpg
    Dry goods:

* 1/2 cup hemp flour (unflavored)
    * 1/4 cup coconut flour
    * 1/4 cup GF all-purpose flour (use almond meal for Paleo Friendly version)
    * 1/2 tsp zanthan gum
    * 1/2 tsp baking powder
    * 1/4 tsp baking soda
    * pinch salt

Wet ‘n’ wild:

* 1 egg
    * 1 heaping tbsp almond butter
    * 1 tsp nutritional yeast
    * 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
    * 1 tsp vanilla extract
    * 1 tsp honey
    * 1/2 dropper Vanilla Stevia (or any sweetener of choice equaling about 1/3 cup sugar)
    * 1 tsp olive oil

Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing until incorporated but not over mixing the batter. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
    http://www.whatrunslori.com/2010/09/prs-pb-banana-muffins/

Pumpkin Spiced Muffins
    DSCN5423.JPG
    http://www.whatrunslori.com/2010/09/the-flavors-of-fall/

HEAB has a lot of GF recipes
    http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/
    Here's a random one I've chosen:
    Cornbread
    IMG_4964-1024x718.jpg
    Ingredients

* 2 cups cornmeal
    * 1 3/4 cups HEABified coconut milk (can sub regular milk or nut milk)
    * 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
    * 2 TBSP butter
    * 1 tsp baking soda
    * 2 tsp baking powder
    * 1/2 tsp salt
    * 1 egg

Directions

* Pre-heat oven to 400℉
    * Stir together milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
    * Add butter to 12″ cast iron skillet and place in oven.
    * Mix corn meal, baking powder, soda, salt. Add egg and milk. Batter should be thick.
    * Remove skillet from oven and add heated butter to batter. Pour batter back into skillet. Return to oven and bake 25-35 minutes or until brown.

SkinnyTaste
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Gluten Free
    Her recipes come with nutritional information which is excellent. There are a lot so you can go through yourself.

http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/cornbread/
  • x3mommy
    x3mommy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am not on a GF diet myself, but the majority of my meals are GF. My son has Celiac and we typically cook GF. What about cheese? GF pizza? I bake our own bread, and it is very good, a bit costly, so I tend to buy gluten containing bread for me, but do use GF breadcrumbs and all other things that need bread for coating and such. Cornmeal and potato flakes work well for coating chicken and such as well. You will need protein with your complex carbs/fiber to feel full the longest. Good luck to you!
  • itsjustme77
    itsjustme77 Posts: 102
    Options
    bump
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!
    I have very recently been diagnosed with a wheat, white corn, white rice allergy. And now i'm going gluten free :) and i'm finding its not that easy! good luck! We'll be pulling for you
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My kids have been gluten free - now going on 10 years. Focus on what you CAN have, not can't. The can't have products will drive you nuts.

My kids eat higher protein, lower carb meals being gluten free.

Depending on if you have an allergy or celiac disease really depends on how you handle it. An allergy can be overcome - celiac disease can't.

@ Cassisa - I'd worry about them telling you an allergy to having any white rice - rice is still rice, it's the gain which would have an allergy reaction, just like white corn - corn is corn, it's the same protein that your body is reacting to with a histamine reaction. You may not have as severe of a reaction, but you body will still see it as a rice protein.

Gluten free is actually a great lifestyle IMO, we do it well and it's easy. Lots of nuts, meats, fruits, veggies. You can take Flax Seed or eat apples for protein.

If it's celiac disease - have your thyroid tested - this could be part of the weight problem. They are often closely connected. Most celiac patients have a milk allergy/intolerance as well. But my kids found that once we got the celiac treated and intestines in better shape, the milk allergy diminished.

Best of luck.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My wife (hootsmamma) and I have been going gluten free since January. it's getting easier all the time and the cravings have pretty much gone although every now and then we get wistful for hearth baked bread... Okay back to reality. There are a lot of GF options out there now and some good protein options. Do you like hummus? We also have been experimenting with Tofu. It can be flavored lots of different ways and can be cooked lots of ways. We opt for organic to limit the amount of pesticides in the soy product. Quinoa and Buckwheat are also good sources. Friends us and we can share success and ideas. Good luck!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I just started eating GF this year. I'm still very confused as to how all of a sudden after eating two whole wheat slices of toast every morning along with whatever else the rest of the day, I now have painful symptoms. I also am still quite lost with trying to figure out a lot of the meals and such, it's all so overwhelming to me. I do lots better when I can just grab some fruit, cheese, an egg and rice cake with PB. I barely go out to eat anymore with my husband and family, which isn't a bad thing, cause we really don't need to. But I barely make meals anymore for dinner. It was already slowing down some with the kids getting older, but it's a lot worse now that I just have no idea what to make half the time. I did put some homemade vegetable soup in the crockpot today though, this is something thats very filling for me, and satisfying. I think thats the hardest thing for me, is there isn't much I eat anymore that is very satisfying. The link that others shared with you for the Gluten Free girls and guys has been a great source for me.
  • StevLL
    Options
    Okay I'm definetly a newbie. Can someone tell me what "bump" means? I've been seeing it a lot.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    "Bump" is essentially a blank post when you don't have anything to add to the discussion at this time. It serves (at least) two functions; it tags the thread to your list of topics (you know, the 'my topics' section at the top of the page) so you can go back and review it without having to search for it. It can also bring a thread that has fallen dormant back into the active posts to hopefully stimulate more participation / discussion.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I just started eating GF this year. I'm still very confused as to how all of a sudden after eating two whole wheat slices of toast every morning along with whatever else the rest of the day, I now have painful symptoms. I also am still quite lost with trying to figure out a lot of the meals and such, it's all so overwhelming to me. I do lots better when I can just grab some fruit, cheese, an egg and rice cake with PB. I barely go out to eat anymore with my husband and family, which isn't a bad thing, cause we really don't need to. But I barely make meals anymore for dinner. It was already slowing down some with the kids getting older, but it's a lot worse now that I just have no idea what to make half the time. I did put some homemade vegetable soup in the crockpot today though, this is something thats very filling for me, and satisfying. I think thats the hardest thing for me, is there isn't much I eat anymore that is very satisfying. The link that others shared with you for the Gluten Free girls and guys has been a great source for me.

You may find, after swiching to GF, when you get incidental / accidental gluten, you have a much more noticable reaction than when you were eating it all the time. Being without it may increase your sensitivity.
  • StevLL
    Options
    Thank you. That will save lots of time on the return. :smile:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

You may find, after swiching to GF, when you get incidental / accidental gluten, you have a much more noticable reaction than when you were eating it all the time. Being without it may increase your sensitivity.

I will respectfully disagree. If it is an allergy, you would have less of a reaction over time, there are allergist that have several theories (I worked for one and we discussed this, so I'm not just speaking from personal experience) One is once allergic, always allergic, another theory is you can stop eating for a year, then reintroduce and may no longer have an allergic reaction and that the third theory is eat it only occasionally and you will minimal if any reaction so long as you avoid it most of the time. We took the approach of removing allergy trigger foods for an entire year from my son and reintroduced them with no problem.

However, my kids have been diagnosed through biopsy, with celiac disease, its not an allergy and actually damages the intestine. When you remove wheat, the intestine heals, so the reaction is less severe - still causes damage, but generally less response because of the healthy intestine to begin with. This is why repeat biopsy is the only way to tell if there is still gluten exposure after going gluten free. The problem is - as adults are older when there is years of previous damage - once you feel well, you notice the exposure ever so much more than you did before, because you've gotten used to feeling better without the constant exposure. A little exposure, will probably take you back to feeling what you felt prior to going gluten free, however, you are more aware of your reaction. You're intune to the symptoms, remember you don't want to feel that way, and recognize it as gluten exposure. Prolonged continuous exposure to gluten, can have serious serious results, ie coma, seizures, starvation, obesity, or intestines simply quitting to work at all. One time re-exposure doesn't give a greater reaction generally, just you notice it more. Hope that make sense.

Sorry, this is something I've lived with through my kids for 10 years, I had to educate myself, it was before "gluten free" was a new thing. When my son was diagnosed, it was a relatively low diagnosis rate - they told us that 1 in 100,000 people had celiac now it's 1 in 100. Many people are not being properly diagnosed, they are self-diagnosing and going gluten free then when tested have problems with tests because they are already gluten free, or they only go as far as the blood work, which is accurate, but not the perfect diagnosis. There is a huge misunderstanding between allergies and intolerance.

I think gluten free is a super way to go for everyone. Wheat overall has little nutritional value and there are so many healthier options out there. One website has recipes with only coconut flour, much healthier options.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Thats exactly whats happened. At first it was a matter of breads and cakes/cookies bothering me. I thought traces of it were fine, but now I get symptoms and have to wonder what the heck I ate that had gluten in it that I didn't know about.

• Becky1971
    Options
    Any idea how much or how long one would need to be eating gluten before having a blood test? My doctor wanted to test me, but I had other medical stuff that needed taken care of and with no insurance I have to wait to have more money for it. But am eating gluten free in the mean time.

And do you know anything about a possible intestinal yeast infection causing gluten intolerance symptoms? Someone I know says this is what was causing her symptoms. I had realized I had been going months with a yeast infection, just thinking the symptoms were just perimenopause stuff. But my doctor said most doctors do not believe that yeast infections occur in the intestines.

I will respectfully disagree. If it is an allergy, you would have less of a reaction over time, there are allergist that have several theories (I worked for one and we discussed this, so I'm not just speaking from personal experience) One is once allergic, always allergic, another theory is you can stop eating for a year, then reintroduce and may no longer have an allergic reaction and that the third theory is eat it only occasionally and you will minimal if any reaction so long as you avoid it most of the time. We took the approach of removing allergy trigger foods for an entire year from my son and reintroduced them with no problem.

However, my kids have been diagnosed through biopsy, with celiac disease, its not an allergy and actually damages the intestine. When you remove wheat, the intestine heals, so the reaction is less severe - still causes damage, but generally less response because of the healthy intestine to begin with. This is why repeat biopsy is the only way to tell if there is still gluten exposure after going gluten free. The problem is - as adults are older when there is years of previous damage - once you feel well, you notice the exposure ever so much more than you did before, because you've gotten used to feeling better without the constant exposure. A little exposure, will probably take you back to feeling what you felt prior to going gluten free, however, you are more aware of your reaction. You're intune to the symptoms, remember you don't want to feel that way, and recognize it as gluten exposure. Prolonged continuous exposure to gluten, can have serious serious results, ie coma, seizures, starvation, obesity, or intestines simply quitting to work at all. One time re-exposure doesn't give a greater reaction generally, just you notice it more. Hope that make sense.

Sorry, this is something I've lived with through my kids for 10 years, I had to educate myself, it was before "gluten free" was a new thing. When my son was diagnosed, it was a relatively low diagnosis rate - they told us that 1 in 100,000 people had celiac now it's 1 in 100. Many people are not being properly diagnosed, they are self-diagnosing and going gluten free then when tested have problems with tests because they are already gluten free, or they only go as far as the blood work, which is accurate, but not the perfect diagnosis. There is a huge misunderstanding between allergies and intolerance.

I think gluten free is a super way to go for everyone. Wheat overall has little nutritional value and there are so many healthier options out there. One website has recipes with only coconut flour, much healthier options.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you and your wife, i hope it continues to prove beneficial for you two. i def should've included in my post i've been living GF now for about 2 years, so it has proven to get sooo easy over time to rplace r exclude, but rather the challenge is more that i still have a few lbs i'm uncomfy with and weightloss is harder when my replacements are so high in calories, so i figured i'd ask fellow dieters in case ive missed something. haha

love love love hummus in any which way shape and form (especially become a fan of sweet potato hummus soooo yummy on GF pretzels hahaha) i personally live more paleo so soy/tofu isn't really much of an option in my life (i'm lactose so i tried soy milk so awhile, and noticed it was't so happy in my tummy, and outside of a few dips of my sushi in GF soy sauce it s no where in my diet) but def agree with living organic/all natural with a vigor! i will def be sending you and your wife an add!! so happy to meet fellow GF dieters!
  • bmonahan115
    Options
    oh wow! yay for naan! i actually LOVE indian food so this is gonna be a yummy addicition to Indian night at my house! and hey mybe even fill as pizzette base!! thank you soooo much! nd heck at 130kcals that makes me a happy camper cause one bagel of mine is almost 300kcals!!!! i will friend you if thats okay, because it's def amazing for me to meet fellow celiacs as well as someone trying to maintain their health with this allergy. (although, as proven in this post by a few responders, they assume our allergic reactions are just us jumpin gon some bandwagon..not that i wish the reaction on anyone, but if only they knew!!) i hve lived with my diagnosis for over 2 years now, and its def gotten easier as well as been helpful to meet other Celiacs, so i'd be happy to offer advice/tips if possible :-D
  • bmonahan115
    Options
    I live Paleo, so i try to keep dairy to a min. or not at all in my diet if possible and pizza isn't really something i'd like to waste my calories on, mostly becuse it's a bunch of empty carbs and fats, an i'm def trying to loose weight and feel healthy, although i'm sure it'd be a yummy treat if i ever decide to indulge hahaha. I started to bake my own bread, because of the same reason, but ended up actually finding a company that makes GF breads and bagels that are soooo much closer to gluten-ed bread than my baked stuff that it was worth the extra dollar per loaf for a few hours and taste back in my life! hahaha.

I've never tried potatoflakes, but i'm intrigued, thanks for the info! and sometimes i sure miss a chicken scallopini every oncein awhile. yeah thankfully living Paleo has given me the knowledge and experience with how full a lean protein will make me, but the Fiber is more for balancng my blood sugars and BMs than it is to feel full. Thank you for you response! :D