diet vs contraceptive pills?

Options
I am planning to loose some weight but at the same time I'd like to start taking contraceptive pills. I've heard that they can really get you fat or that they give you some apetite. Does anyone know something about that?

Thank you!

Replies

• xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    Read this:
    http://www.bioedonline.org/news/news.cfm?art=2297

I've taken the pill on and off for 11 years, and never had an issue with weight gain.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm on the generic version of Seasonale/Seasonique (called Jolessa) and have never had an issue with weight gain or increased appetite as a result of the drug.
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I took one on and off several years ago and I actually lost weight, I think it was called triphasil. I loved it, plus all of the side effects of the light periods, and no water weight gain, no acne, etc etc::happy:
  • denacutrone
    Options
    I am on the Nuvaring and weight gain has not been a problem for me
  • sk8erx_d12
    Options
    Thank you for your answers. And did you feel any sickness while you were on the pill or any difference in your blood tests? I've heard that many women may feel nausea or liver pain.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am planning to loose some weight but at the same time I'd like to start taking contraceptive pills. I've heard that they can really get you fat or that they give you some apetite. Does anyone know something about that?

Thank you!

I know when I went off of them I got really fat. I call him PJ! :laugh:

Seriously, I was no bigger than 110 pounds all the while taking BCP.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I think everyone reacts differently to it. As my luck would have it, I gained weight while on Ortho Cept. A friend of mine has the Mirena IUD implant and has gained a very large amount of weight. Some people are just prone to gain with those types of medications. You never know until you try it out for a while. I know it kept me feeling a little bloated much of the time.

Thank God I don't have to take them anymore!
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and responds differently to the pill. Its best to talk it over with your doctor. They say it is normal to gain a few pound in your first year.

I was on it for less than 2 years and came off it just after Christmas. I didn't change my lifestyle or diet (it didn't increase my hunger) but I gained over 2 stone (28lb). My breasts went from a 34b to a 38d (which I didn't mind lol!)

Since coming off it I have almost lost the extra weight I gained. The weight dropped really quickly in the 1st couple of months. I lost 9lb in the 1st week but I did feel swollen while on it so I guess it could have been fluid retention as well as fat. My nurse said the pill does that to some people and advised me to come off it and offered me a 12 week course at slimming world for free.

But it seems I am a rare case although I have heard others who were on my make of pill (Microgynon 30) who had the same problem. If you search the forum you will find plenty of topics which may help you.
  • sk8erx_d12
    Options
    Thank you for your answer.I will consult a doctor next week ( I shouldn't take the pill without a prescription,should I?). Another problem is that I am a smoker, and I've read that interacts in a bad way with the pill..does it?
    I am really affraid about the gain weight because since I was little, Í've had some extra pounds ( when I was 14 I had 167 lbs, now I have 141 lbs) and it is very important for me to look ..normal at least! Even if they would ,however,give me some apetite, I could pass over it and "starve" but one of you girls said that she gained weight even though she didn't change her diet.. Now I am really confused!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Thank you for your answer.I will consult a doctor next week ( I shouldn't take the pill without a prescription,should I?). Another problem is that I am a smoker, and I've read that interacts in a bad way with the pill..does it?
    I am really affraid about the gain weight because since I was little, Í've had some extra pounds ( when I was 14 I had 167 lbs, now I have 141 lbs) and it is very important for me to look ..normal at least! Even if they would ,however,give me some apetite, I could pass over it and "starve" but one of you girls said that she gained weight even though she didn't change her diet.. Now I am really confused!

Yes, you have a chance of stroke if you take the pill and smoke cigarettes. The risk is much higher if you are over age 35. Your doctor will be able to tell you all of the risks in detail. My diet was not changed in any way when I started taking it. I hear a lot of people get that bloaty feeling on it as well. But at the same time, I am sure there are plenty of others who have not problems with it at all. You just never know.
  • sk8erx_d12
    Options
    I am 19 so health it is not a problem for me..I've heard there are some special pills for smokers,are they? I am planning to stop smoking buuuut that would increase my apetite even more, so I will do that after I loose the extra pounds..
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    no weight gain but lots of ACNE at age 32! Booooo!
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control since I was around 13/14. I'm 23 now and have never had any issues at all. I've also been on many different types, as I tend to switch a lot (for many different reasons, including insurance coverage).

I've never heard of any special pills for smokers... I don't think there is any, because birth control is hormonal, and you can't get around that (as far as I know). It's the extra hormones in your system that increases your risk.

And no, you should NEVER take any medication without a prescription (I mean medication that you need to have a prescription to take, if that makes sense). I'm not even sure how you'd get it without one, since there is no birth control pills offered over the counter (except for Plan B and condoms).

But anyway, no weight gain, no other side affects.. no sickness, nothing bad.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Might work in different ways for different people. I've lost 70 pounds since starting bc pills in six months.