Low Carb Diet Snacking

Options
I've been on a calorie restricted, low fat diet for as long as I can remember. I do lose weight (also due to an active exercise program), but I've always hit a plateau.

I've decided to try a low-carb diet, but I'm looking for ideas on acceptable, healthy snacking. Eating is an emotional release for me, and I know I'm going to need something to "indulge" on if I'm going to stick with a low-carb plan for a long period.

That being said, any ideas on acceptable snacking?

Replies

• FitAt47
    Options
    I've been on a calorie restricted, low fat diet for as long as I can remember. I do lose weight (also due to an active exercise program), but I've always hit a plateau.

I've decided to try a low-carb diet, but I'm looking for ideas on acceptable, healthy snacking. Eating is an emotional release for me, and I know I'm going to need something to "indulge" on if I'm going to stick with a low-carb plan for a long period.

That being said, any ideas on acceptable snacking?
  • cristy333
    cristy333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    here are some suggestions:

Celery with laughing cow spreadable cheese
    granny smith apples (lower glycemic than other apples) with natural peanut butter
    mozzarella stick (low fat)
    almonds (normally around 13 at a time)
    carrots with hummus

Always remember portion control. nuts are high in fat, so only have the recommended snacking amount. If you're truly doing low carb, drink lots of water as the results can put some strain on the kidneys. I did South Beach diet a few years ago. it's way healther, and suggestion heart healthy eating.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    my favorite "boredom" snack is tea. Hot or iced. sweetened with sugar substitute if you need it. I'm a big fan of flavored teas if i'm craving something sweet! It gives your hands and mouth something to do AND increases your water intake! YAY!
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    here are some suggestions:

Celery with laughing cow spreadable cheese
    granny smith apples (lower glycemic than other apples) with natural peanut butter
    mozzarella stick (low fat)
    almonds (normally around 13 at a time)
    carrots with hummus

Always remember portion control. nuts are high in fat, so only have the recommended snacking amount. If you're truly doing low carb, drink lots of water as the results can put some strain on the kidneys. I did South Beach diet a few years ago. it's way healther, and suggestion heart healthy eating.

Actually, when doing low carb, you don't want to concern yourself too much with fat. You must eat at least a very moderate amount of fat. You're actually instructed full fat cheese. Low fat items are a no-no.

Also the carrots, hummus, and apples are generally not good ideas for low carb snacks as they contain too many carbs for someone just starting out.

When done properly, low carb doesn't necessarily put any strain on the kidneys and can be just as healthy as South Beach.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    There are TONS of great snack ideas and recipes out there. Here are just a few:

(Taken from http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/snacks.htm)

-Celery with peanut butter
    -Celery with tuna salad
    -Hard boiled eggs
    -Deviled eggs
    -Dill pickles and cheddar cheese (no kidding, it’s a great combo)
    -1/4 cup berries with 1/3 cup cottage cheese
    -Nuts (keep raw ones in the freezer if you think you’ll overeat them)
    -Sunflower seeds (get them in the shell so it will take longer to eat them)
    -Other seeds (How to Toast Pumpkin or Squash Seeds)
    -Low-Carb Trail Mix
    -Jerky (beef or turkey -- try to find low-sugar varieties)
    -Low-carb shakes
    -Cheese sticks, such as string cheese
    -Sugar-free Jello, alone or with cottage cheese and a sprinkling of nuts
    -Make sugar-free lime Jello with part coconut milk - for a large package, dissolve the powder in a cup of boiling water, add a can of coconut milk, and then add the rest of the water. Stir well.
    -Cheese with a few apple slices
    -4-ounce plain or sugar-free yogurt with berries and flax seed meal
    -Smoked salmon and cream cheese on cucumber slices
    -Lettuce Roll-ups – roll luncheon meat, egg salad, tuna or other filling and veggies in lettuce leaves
    -Lunch Meat Roll-ups – roll cheese or veggies in lunch meat (read the labels for carbs on the lunch meat)
    -Spread bean dip, spinach dip, or other low-carb dip or spread on the lunch meat or lettuce and then roll it up
    -Raw veggies and spinach dip, or other low-carb dip
    -Pork rinds, with or without dip
    -Ricotta cheese with fruit and/or nuts and/or flax seed meal
    -Mushrooms with cheese spread inside (or other spreads or dips)
    -Low-carb snack bars (watch out for sugar alcohols, especially maltitol)
    -Pepperoni Chips - Microwave pepperoni slices until crisp -- great with cheeses and dips
    -Garlic Parmesan Flax Seed Crackers
    -Parmesan Crisps -- Good when you want a crunchy snack.
    -Peanut Butter Protein Balls
  • FitAt47
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input...

This is new territory for me, since I've always been a low-fat dieter. This was pretty apparent when I went to the supermarket last evening... I just walked around for 20 minutes, not knowing what I could get.

Your ideas will go a long way to help me through this.

:bigsmile: