frustrated and sad

Options
I am serious about a lifestyle change and losing the 40 pounds I have gained. I am considered 20 pounds overweight according to my height and my goal weight is about right in the middle for ideal weight for my height.

Last week, I was eating green and healthy (and I still am), working out daily (cardio, not so much weight lifting), and drinking 6-8 glasses of water daily. I felt great. But my scale showed no wight loss. I am not by any mean expecting to drop 10 pounds in a week or anything, but I thought I would be at least down 3. I had a goal to lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks and now I feel I will not make that goal as I have 2 weeks remaining and lost nothing. I am frustrated because I feel like being overweight the first litte bit should come off quicker.

Any advice on how I can reach my 10 pounds weight loss goal in 2 weeks now? (yes, I was under calories all week..I did good!!) I am just really depressed about it :frown:

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Losing 3 pounds a week is more for people who are extremely overweight. Even at about 80 pounds overweight I struggle to lose 2 pounds a week while still eating enough to sustain my body. I have been losing about 1.5# a week.

You are probably not eating enough, and thus your body isn't letting go of your fat stores.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Losing 3 pounds a week is more for people who are extremely overweight. Even at about 80 pounds overweight I struggle to lose 2 pounds a week while still eating enough to sustain my body.

totally agree.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Expecting those kind of numbers isn't realistic except on The Biggest Loser.....those people have hundreds to lose, are working out for hours a day, etc.

It's safer and more realistic to expect 1lb per week weight loss.

Also, depending on your past habits, your metabolism may have a lot of adjusting to do before you will start seeing a loss.

It's taken me 2 weeks to lose 4.5lbs and I'm THRILLED with that - I think 10lbs in 2 weeks is just a little too fast (unless it's all water weight).

Keep up what you are doing - you WILL lose weight!
  • ampogue73
    Options
    I'm no expert, but this is what I noticed with me. If your calories are too low, your body might be going into starvation mode and storing all calories for future use. I would look at your calorie intake, and make sure that the calories you are taking in are good calories. I would keep on track and before you know it you should see some results on the scale.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for dropping 10 pounds in three weeks, but I'll try to encourage you to keep at it and be consistent. If you do that, the results will come, although maybe not as quickly as you were thinking. I've lost a little over 30 pounds, but it took at least that many weeks for it to happen. My first week, I lost nothing. My second week, I lost only one pound. After six weeks, I'd lost exactly six pounds. But a week at a time, and a pound at a time, you can get there!

The other key in my opinion, besides consistency, is moderation. It's not just about not eating too much. It's about not eating too little. And it's not about killing yourself working out a ton. It's about working out a healthy, moderate amount, but doing it consistently.

You can do it. Good luck!
  • kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I'm in somewhat the same boat as you. For the past month I have been steady at my cw and I have been trying very hard to get under that, even drop 1 pound would make me happy. I've been working out 6 days a week and eating at my calorie goal.
    I'll be interested to see what people have to say! Keep working hard!
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can lose that much that fast - especially as close to goal as you are. Even if you starve yourself you won't lose that much because your body will go into starvation mode and hang on to every calorie you put in. Not to mention the fact that as soon as you started eating again, you'd gain it all right back plus some. (been there, done that - please don't try it!). I think you need to set a more reasonable goal for yourself of losing those 10 pounds in a month instead of 2 weeks.

I lose 1-2 pounds a week. From most of the things I've read, this is a good rate for losing - statistics show that people that lose slower are more likely to keep it off (probably because they aren't going for the quick fix solution). It is a struggle! It took me years to figure out what worked for me to be able to lose weight - it took that long because I'd been starving myself for years and years so I had to figure out first how to convince my body I was no longer starving and then how to teach it to let go of the weight.

Make sure you are getting protein and healthy complex carbs. Make sure you eat enough calories. You may want to up your water intake. And honestly, one week really isn't long enough to know if what you are doing is working. I usually give each change I make a month before I decide whether or not it's working. Our bodies have a lot going on and they can be slow to react.

Hang in there - don't get frustrated! Since it is a lifestyle change, you are just getting started. The weight will come off as long as you don't give up!
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    What about inches? Have you been tracking that as well? Sometimes you may not lose weight but you will lose inches because you are gaining muscle. Also, try setting a more reasonable goal. 40 lbs. is not a whole lot to lose in the grand scheme of things and it will take some time to lose it because it took some time to put it there in the first place. Be patient and keep up the hard work, it will come off! Be proud of yourself for living a healthy lifestyle.
  • rileydi
    rileydi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not eating too little calories. And I have been eating healthy, nice healthy foods for breakfast and solid protein lunch and dinner...and I am definitely not over exercising. I work out hard, (I am actually loving working out again), but I am by no means over-doing it. I know losing 10 in 3 weeks isn't realistic, but I definitely thought it was for a 3 week timr frame. I don't think 3 pounds a week is unrealistic for someone overweight. I have just been trying so hard to lose weight for myself. And seeing nothing happen makes me miserable. Ugh...
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    I find it easier not to focus on what the scale says and focus on inches lost. I always make sure I eat the 1200 calories required plus whatever "extra" calories I've earned from my workouts. My body doesn't go into "starvation mode", so I've been pretty steady at losing weight and not feeling hungry or deprived. The only time I stayed the same (without weight loss) was during "that time of the month". I have to mention, I've read plenty about weight loss and nutrition and losing more than 2lbs a week is not recommended... but that doesn't mean you can't lose inches. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a huge effort to set a goal and try to reach it. You can do it...and you've got a community to help you through it!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I remind myself all the time that I didn't get to where I am overnight, and i'm not going to lose it overnight either. It's taken me over a month to lose 10 lbs, and I'm much much heavier than you. Just do what is well for you body, and don't stress about all those numbers. Just take care of yourself.
  • kbetty77
    kbetty77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't be sad; you should definitely keep doing what you are doing because it sounds as if you are on the right track. Losing 10lbs in three weeks especially when you are only twenty pounds overweight is a very very tough goal. I am not saying it is unattainable, but a healthy amount of weight loss per week is usually 1lb to 1.5lbs for someone that is only minorly overweight. Also, remember to not starve yourself either because your body will try to hold on to as many calories as it can in that situation (not suggesting that you were; just a thought). Also, did you use the same scale to weigh yourself I know I have ran into that problem a few times. If you are doing all you say you are doing that is a huge step in the right direction, and you should be proud of that... the weight may not come off as quickly as you had hoped, but it definitely will. Also, weight training is awesome for losing inches so you may want to try adding a little into your workout routine; weight training could potentially also mess up the results you see on the scale because muscle weighs more than fat so maybe you should measure yourself, and keep track of inches too!! Anyway, I am rambling now, but keep doing what you are doing I'm sure all you have done this week has had a major impact on your overall health it just failed to show up on the scale! Kristin (nutritional science student @ CSULA)
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was asking the same questions when I started three weeks ago and got some really good advice/help/support/information from the people here on MFP. I was also under my 1200 minimum calorie a day and told to knock it off IMMEDIATELY because it can be very damaging. Go through the message boards and look for other people (including myself) who have posted on topics very similar to your. I'd do it for you, but I'm not sure how to gather all that info. and send it it one post:blushing: . Anyway, I haven't read anywhere that it's safe to lose that much weight in such a short period of time without A: slowing down your metabolism and B: gaining it back (plus) sometime in the future. I want it to happen now just like you do, but it isn't going to if your goal is to be healthy while losing. Good luck to you. You've got all my support!:smile:
  • Modonley
    Modonley Posts: 8
    Options
    Just keep at it make sure your eating enough and dont quit!! 10lbs in that time is hard to do unless you have a chef and time to workout for hours a day. But just keep working hard and it will pay off
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    I am not eating too little calories. And I have been eating healthy, nice healthy foods for breakfast and solid protein lunch and dinner...and I am definitely not over exercising. I work out hard, (I am actually loving working out again), but I am by no means over-doing it. I know losing 10 in 3 weeks isn't realistic, but I definitely thought it was for a 3 week timr frame. I don't think 3 pounds a week is unrealistic for someone overweight. I have just been trying so hard to lose weight for myself. And seeing nothing happen makes me miserable. Ugh...
    All I can say is if you're sure you're doing everything right, keep doing it, and the results will come. If several weeks go by and things don't start moving in the right direction, you might want to consider that what you're doing isn't perfectly perfect.
  • LiyaFitz
    LiyaFitz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I feel frustrated and sad, I remind myself that I am improving health, even if the weight isn't coming off. Keep up the good work.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you are making a lifestyle change, keep up the good work, you'll loose all you want over time and then some.
  • Baileymqt
    Baileymqt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got frustrated last Friday. I did EVERYTHING good for the week, diet, exerise (including eating back my exercise calories) and the scale didn't budge even a half pound. So I had a bad, bad day yesterday and ate lots of bread and brownies!:sad: I guess you just have to keep at it and not get discouraged over the weight loss (like I did) because eventually it will come off, right?!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    First, I'd say just keep it up and give it a little time. Your body is adjusting to lots of changes and you will see results if you keep it up! Even if the scale doesn't change right away, your body will.
  • melindaw1977
    Options
    Just keep at it! It sounds like you're doing a great job. I remember last year when I started working out every day and eating well, I didn't lose anything at all the first two weeks and then the third week when I stepped on the scale, I'd lost 6 lbs. Sometimes it doesn't show on the scale immediately. Also it could have to do with the time of the month. I've noticed my weight fluctuates with that. Don't let yourself get too discouraged. Keep plugging away and you will see a difference soon!