Trying to work out in humidity?

Options
Does anyone else have a problem with working out with very high humidity? Here in OK we are having some seriously humid days. I sweat just sitting still. I find it very hard to move let alone workout. I need some serious push to do what I am supposed to!

Replies

• Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thats got to be horrible! We had some unusually humid days here last summer, and it was really tough, but in general just working out in the summer is hard for me. I have to get up real early and have the fan right on me, and push my way through it. I often would give up cause it was too difficult. And would have to just settle with walking in the early morning or late evening. But I know real humid places, that doesn't help much as it's just humid consistently.
  • ndhr3d
    ndhr3d Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We have really bad humidity here in Kansas City, MO. I sweat really easily as well... even compared to my friends, it takes me no time at all to start sweating just standing outside. I work in an office and literally start sweating by the time I walk the 50ft. to my car.
    My work around? Work out in a gym... climate controlled and fans everywhere!
    I really don't mind sweating though when it's the whole purpose of my activity... I like being outside sweating when I'm not dressed up or going somewhere.
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I live in Mississippi, so I feel your pain! That is why I workout at a gym.. I highly suggest you get at least a 6 month pass for summer to stay out of the heat. The other 6 months like some fall/winter/some spring are generally "cooler" lol so I can manage being outside for those months.
  • flaquitadelafrontera
    Options
    Just push through it!!! Try to do fun workouts that help you forget you are even working out. I've lived in the southwest (DRY desert) most of my life, but went on exchange to Puerto Rico for a year where is was 95/97/100 percent humidity most of the year!!! I thought I was gonna pass out when I first started dancing with my school dance team and hip-hop street team. The only thing that got me through the first few weeks of it was LOTS of water and telling myself that if the 30 other people around me were doing it, so could I, darn it!! I finally got to where i didn't even notice how hot it was until practice was over and I was dripping in sweat. I think it also help that it was dance which I've always loved! Try a fun workout, that keeps you engaged! I promise it gets better:D You can do it!

Best of luck,

a serious desert-rat;)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Drink more water!!!! The lack of motivation that most people feel when it is hot or humid outside is actually the body trying to prevent any more water loss from the sweating. It's 100% normal. However, if you are getting enough water (and electrolytes) to balance out what you are losing from the sweat, you will feel better during your workouts. Also remember, as you are becoming acclimated to working out in the heat and humidity it will take you less time to fatigue from water loss, so don't try to go as intense or long as normal. And don't forget to make sure you're getting the electrolytes too! And if you have any signs or symptoms of heat illness, stop and rest and drink more water!

I grew up in Oklahoma and went back there to get married. My husband didn't believe me that our outdoor wedding in June would be as hot and humid as we have here in South Georgia. He picked a solid black suit, silk shirt, and tie. For an outdoor, afternoon ceremony. Needless to say he had to ditch the suit jacket. I admit, I thought it was funny to watch him sweat buckets because he didn't believe me about how hot and humid Oklahoma is, but I did push the water all through the reception so he didn't have a heat illness. ;-)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean by humidity. I spend as much time indoors in the summer as possible. Try the Leslie Sansone walk-at-home dvds. You can do them in your own living room and burn lots of calories. They are very challenging. If you have U-Verse or some other cable/satellite that has on-demand, search for Leslie Sansone (or other exercise videos) and there might be some free videos on there you can try.

***If you have Netflix and can stream videos, there are lots of workout videos on there, too. If you can't stream, you can put them in your dvde queue. Sadly, Leslie's dvds on Netflix are by mail only. Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I ran outdoors every single day at lunch in Atlanta when I lived there. Yes, high humidity and in temps that were sometimes over 100 degrees. I never thought I'd be able to do it (I'm a Northener, born and bred. I thought 50 degrees was uncomfortable running weather as it was too danged hot before moving South).

Two tips: Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more.That water bottle should be a permanent appendage to your arm. You need to be drinking water all day long, every day. Your friends and coworkers should have a running joke about how often you need to tinkle. ;)

And, invest in some good quality, sweat -wicking workout wear. It makes a world of difference! You will be so much more comfortable that it's indescribable. I've had boyfriends make fun of my absolute insistence on good quality workout wear that will wick sweat, until I buy them some and they try it. LOL Then they can't believe they waited so long!

You get used to whatever you workout in after awhile. The southerners couldn't believe I ran in sub-freezing weather, while i iniitally couldn't believe they ran in 90+ degree weather. But your body adapts very quickly to ANY temp if you just keep at it. After 5 years in ATL, now I think it's unbelievably bitter cold when it's 32 degrees--what I USED to call 'ideal running weather'! After awhile, my biggest complaint about running in hot weather was that my tan lines were all messed up by my running tops. Ha!

ETA: Tonya makes an EXCELLENT point about electrolytes. You are going to need them in very hot and/or humid weather. And about recognizing the signs of heatstroke, so you know when you really should just quit and cool yourself off.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    We're having some sunny and warm days here in the U.K. at the moment, and I'm walking at a slower pace on my dog walks than usual :grumble:

But on the plus side I've started doing 20-25 mins on elliptical in the mornings :drinker:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    We're having some sunny and warm days here in the U.K. at the moment, and I'm walking at a slower pace on my dog walks than usual :grumble:

But on the plus side I've started doing 20-25 mins on elliptical in the mornings :drinker:

That's really important actually, if you are walking with your dog! Your dog doesn't sweat, so dogs have a very hard time dealing with high (or even unseasonal) heat. The dog can only pant to cool himself. Most dogs are so excited to be doing something with you that they'll go longer than is safe for them in heat. Watch for any signs that the dog is tiring--could be slowing down or dragging his feet a little bit.
  • JLJones_2010
    Options
    Thanks! I drink a TON of water daily probably at least 6 or 7 bottles. Also everyone in my house drinks Gatorade. Believe it or not we do not have a gym where I live :(. My husband goes to the gym in the town he works in, but its about 30 miles away. And with the price of gas and the vehicles we have I am trying to do something alternative to that. I've tried Zumba but I am unable to keep up with it because of hip/knee problems I have from an accident almost 2 years ago. But yes Thank you Oklahoma weather, this year is supposed to be the worst for tornadoes so that brings in a lot of humidity and just yuck! I do walk around the park while my daughters are at Softball and that is about a mile a day 4 times a week.
  • JLJones_2010
    Options

That's really important actually, if you are walking with your dog! Your dog doesn't sweat, so dogs have a very hard time dealing with high (or even unseasonal) heat. The dog can only pant to cool himself. Most dogs are so excited to be doing something with you that they'll go longer than is safe for them in heat. Watch for any signs that the dog is tiring--could be slowing down or dragging his feet a little bit.

My dog will not leave her yard!! LOL you put a leash on her and she rolls over and plays dead! She is a Great pyrenese, taking her to the vet my husband has to pick her up and put her in the truck! I walk around our yard with her, but she realizes I am going in circles and she sits and waits for me to come around to her again.
  • cmisty2001
    Options
    water aerobics - it keeps the sweat "washed" off so you don't notice it, plus the water is cooling. Keep drinking water handy at all times.
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    ***If you have Netflix and can stream videos, there are lots of workout videos on there, too. If you can't stream, you can put them in your dvde queue. Sadly, Leslie's dvds on Netflix are by mail only. Good luck!

This is a really good suggestion as well! Netflix only costs about $10 a month, definitely less than a gym pass!
  • CraftyJenguin
    CraftyJenguin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I live in TN, and I feel your pain on the humidity! I also work out in a gym, so luckily it doesn't bug me too much. If going to a gym isn't an option for you, I recommend getting some DVDs and working out at home. Jillian Michaels has some great ones that really get you moving. It's still early spring and I'm already getting heat headaches from working out outside. I don't want to see or hear of anyone doing searious damage to themselves! Best of luck!