Krav Maga

Options
JE55Y
JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
I had a free three hour Krav Maga session yesterday. Has anyone heard of this? It's an Israeli form of Self Defence, about using your natural reactions to defend yourself. It's also a good way to lose weight and get fit... so I've been told.

It was really good fun, but today I'm aching.. everywhere!!

So has anyone else heard of this, tried it... or attends Krav Maga classes?

Replies

• jmecale72
    jmecale72 Posts: 214
    Options
    I've heard about it. It looks really good and fun.
  • shimacrema
    Options
    I have heard of it and I so want to take some classes.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I've not done it, but my ex-husband is in law enforcement and he just finished a training to be a Krav instructor...it was over on Friday and as of today, he still couldn't walk!
  • roxannima
    roxannima Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I heard about it on an episode of "How I Met Your Mother"! lol

If it hurts everywhere, then that means it was a full-body workout, which is great for losing weight. If you enjoy it, keep it up! Sounds like tons of fun.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I think I was at the same one. You in Birmingham?

I've been training since February, so I did yesterday as a free training session, for the extra time, and to get a chance to work with women. I'm the only girl in my class, and while it's helpful training with people bigger than me, women face different threats.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am looking to start it when I reach my goal weight, I have a few friends who do it at an advanced level and it is a great form of exercise! whats more you will learn how to protect yourself in real life situations which is a big plus.

I would highly recommend it, self defense and a great workout....WIN WIN!! lol

Ben.
  • Barelmy
    Options
    Assuming we were at the same thing, I reckon I burned about a thousand calories, all in all.:D It's good for that, too.
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    I would LOVE to learn this! Unfortunately we live in a very small town and this is not an option. Enjoy it!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I tried a class a month or so back. It was a crazy workout and great self defense (very practical - what to do when you get jumped in an alley kind of stuff).

I really wanted to do it more, but the class schedule at their studio didn't fit well with my current schedule. I wish I could have paid by the class, but they make you sign up for at least 6 months.

The instructor did a lot of cross fit exercises as well (not sure whether or not they all do this).
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've done some training in Krav Maga. They offer it once a week at my gym included in the membership, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get back there for a while at that date and time. It is one of the best self defense systems out there for real world self defense, since it focuses all on how to respond to likely real world threats. After a few classes, you'll be much better prepared to handle yourself if you should ever run into a bad situation. It's been a couple of months since I've been to a class, but there's still a lot of Krav Maga that I've retained should I ever need to use it.

It's also a fantastic workout. Depending on your weight and how hard the workouts are, my guess is you burn somewhere between 500 and 1000 calories an hour. So if it's something you are interested in, I say go for it.
  • JE55Y
    Options

I've been training since February, so I did yesterday as a free training session, for the extra time, and to get a chance to work with women. I'm the only girl in my class, and while it's helpful training with people bigger than me, women face different threats.

Wow, what are the chances!

It was at Perry Barr. I don't recognise you from your photos... were you the girl who set me flying across the room? Lol.

I think I was the only one in shorts!

It was brilliant and I am really considering joing, but the location of the classes is an issue for me as I don't want to have to travel too far.

Which class do you go to? Who's your instructor?

What's it like training with all men? I think I'd do better training in a mixed group, but I think men can be alot rougher than women.
  • JE55Y
    Options
    I've done some training in Krav Maga. They offer it once a week at my gym included in the membership, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get back there for a while at that date and time. It is one of the best self defense systems out there for real world self defense, since it focuses all on how to respond to likely real world threats. After a few classes, you'll be much better prepared to handle yourself if you should ever run into a bad situation. It's been a couple of months since I've been to a class, but there's still a lot of Krav Maga that I've retained should I ever need to use it.

It's also a fantastic workout. Depending on your weight and how hard the workouts are, my guess is you burn somewhere between 500 and 1000 calories an hour. So if it's something you are interested in, I say go for it.

I like the sound of burning all those calories. I'm really unfit at the moment. I do alot of walking but I found punching, kicking, and slapping the punch pads extremely exhausting... and I only did it for 30 seconds. I was ready to collapse!!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I would love to take classes, but no one around here offers them, Closest place is 1.5 hrs. away :sad:
  • JE55Y
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies.

I've done karate before, but I would say that karate is just a form of exercise. Krav seems like something you could actually use, if needed. I think it could be a really good way to lose weight too.

I'd recommend anyone to have just one session of this, It's brilliant, but the next day you will really feel it. I'm still aching.. even my fingers ache just pinching them together to pick something up off the floor! Lol.
  • JE55Y
    Options
    I would love to take classes, but no one around here offers them, Closest place is 1.5 hrs. away :sad:

That's a shame :(

Might be a good money making business there though... drive the distance, learn it and then teach it in your home town :wink:
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have so been wanting to try this, but the closest place I've found to do it is about 40 minutes away. Since I was a little on the fence anyway, I let the distance keep me away, but now you've sparked my interest again. I just went to their website and it looks like they offer a free class to try it out, so now I have no excuse but to try it out. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • JE55Y
    Options
    I have so been wanting to try this, but the closest place I've found to do it is about 40 minutes away. Since I was a little on the fence anyway, I let the distance keep me away, but now you've sparked my interest again. I just went to their website and it looks like they offer a free class to try it out, so now I have no excuse but to try it out. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

I felt the same, the class I went to was a distance to drive and in heavy traffic would probably take over an hour to get to. I'm still thinking that it's too far to travel, but I could go after work which would shorten the journey...

I guess you just have to make the decision. I know how easily it is to make excuses not to do things. Go for it and let me know how you get on :)
    Let me know if you ache as much as I do right now! Lol
  • Barelmy
    Options

It was at Perry Barr. I don't recognise you from your photos... were you the girl who set me flying across the room? Lol.

It was brilliant and I am really considering joing, but the location of the classes is an issue for me as I don't want to have to travel too far.

What's it like training with all men? I think I'd do better training in a mixed group, but I think men can be alot rougher than women.

hi.:D

I go to the two Thursday classes with Alan, the poor guy who had to wear the helmet while Steve punched him. I do two in a row, because it's a bit of a distance for me, too, so I'd rather only make the journey once.

I've never not trained with a bunch of guys (apart from yesterday) so I can't compare. Alan's very protective; every class he's like, are you okay to work with him? Can you work with him? If it helps, the two girls with the groin guards are in the Tuesday general classes (and I'm in the beginners one, for the next five weeks).

Steve was talking about setting up classes in other areas, especially since they're getting full now. You could email him and ask about your area. I know he's thinking of Edgbaston, but I forget the rest.

I might have been, I'm not sure.:o I was working with the very tall and thin dark-skinned girl, with bright red hair, on the mat to the left as you walk through the door. I was the one with a ginormous bruise on her arm.
  • Barelmy
    Options
    Oh, and regarding distance, I think it's only the Saturday classes that are at the GMAC; most of the others are either at Fox Hollies or Acocks Green, iirc.
  • JE55Y
    Options

hi.:D

I go to the two Thursday classes with Alan, the poor guy who had to wear the helmet while Steve punched him. I do two in a row, because it's a bit of a distance for me, too, so I'd rather only make the journey once.

I've never not trained with a bunch of guys (apart from yesterday) so I can't compare. Alan's very protective; every class he's like, are you okay to work with him? Can you work with him? If it helps, the two girls with the groin guards are in the Tuesday general classes (and I'm in the beginners one, for the next five weeks).

Steve was talking about setting up classes in other areas, especially since they're getting full now. You could email him and ask about your area. I know he's thinking of Edgbaston, but I forget the rest.

I might have been, I'm not sure.:o I was working with the very tall and thin dark-skinned girl, with bright red hair, on the mat to the left as you walk through the door. I was the one with a ginormous bruise on her arm.

Ha ha, I think you were the girl showing your bruise to the instructors before the session started. He offered to give you a bruise on the other arm.

It was the short haired girl with the groin guard who sent me flying. I was a little confused as to why she was wearing that... she had wrist guards too so she's probably had a few bad bruises and decided not to take any chances.

I'd probably go to Edgbaston, and do one session a week to start. My friend is one of the instructors so I'll speak to him tomorrow... and also tell him that I did see him laughing when he saw me looking very exhausted! Lol

I'm hoping they make a decision about Harborne/& quinton as that would be ideal for me.