When will I stop being "fat"?

Options
I'm having a hard time accepting compliments on my weight loss, even though I'm anxious to know whether it is something others can notice. I've lost a lot of weight (36 pounds from my highest not-pregnant weight) and I'm down four sizes. I can't gracefully accept compliments because I still feel fat. I don't want to see myself that way anymore. What is the right response when somebody says "you've lost weight!" ?

Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I always sat "thanks I'm working on it" and leave it there
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Say: 'Thank you. I've worked really hard, but still have some to lose.' :)
  • Alison_84
    Alison_84 Posts: 86
    Options
    Just a simple "thank you for noticing" would do...
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    I'd say that the correct response would be for you to say "Thanks! I've been working really hard."
    The first step is learning to love yourself. If you don't love yourself you're always going to question ulterior motives whenever someone compliments you. Even if you think you've got a ways to go, be proud of the progress you have made.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You will offically stop being fat when you don't have to shop in the plus size section anymore. I just say, thanks, i'm workin' at it.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'd say that the correct response would be for you to say "Thanks! I've been working really hard."
    The first step is learning to love yourself. If you don't love yourself you're always going to question ulterior motives whenever someone compliments you. Even if you think you've got a ways to go, be proud of the progress you have made.
    Well stated. Good advice. You sound like my therapist..lol.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options

I agree
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You will offically stop being fat when you don't have to shop in the plus size section anymore. I just say, thanks, i'm workin' at it.

Some people who shop in the plus sizes are not "fat."
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Exactly.

We tend to be our own worse critics. You've done well so far so allow yourself to be happy about it. Why add more stress thats not needed? If you feel you are still flabby keep working on it but know that your hard work is paying off.

Are you strength training? If not, start. Lean muscle shrinks fat.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options

I agree! Plus size does not always mean "fat"!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Just tell them thanks you and let them know you're still working on it :-) You'll get there! Don't worry...just don't give up!
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options

I used to be a buyer for a major plus size retailer. Did you know plus size models start at a size 8? How SICKENING is that?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

?? Huh? I have never shopped plus sizes but I'm definitely fat.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    love the other comments and just wanted to add that you could try giving yourself some compliments, try to see the positive more and you'll feel better about yourself. you'll stop feeling fat when you love yourself. I know some beautiful oveweight dancers who exude amazing confidence and sensuality. can even send you some youtube links if you want.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you look like and how you present yourself in my opinion.

Be happy with the compliments you are getting, and realize that those people are appreciating your hard work and thank them! Don't worry about rather you are "fat" or when you can stop being "fat". Just focus on the progress that you're making, and realize that with a good lifestyle, you'll continue looking better.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yep - plus size models start a size 8 and very, very few are above a size 12. I had my heart crushed in my teens when I showed a picture of a plus size model to a friend who said "wow, she looks just like you!" She meant it as a compliment, I didn't take it as such (She had no idea it was a plus size model) - come to find out that model was a size 8!!! Definitely NOT fat.

I completely agree that you need to start loving yourself and accept with a "Thanks, I'm really working at it!" I know I hate getting compliments because it means that people noticed I was overweight and am losing. I know crazy, but true. I had to accept the fact I needed to start being proud of myself on taking measures to take care of my body and be thankful others were being so encouraging and loved me enough to express it.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! "Thank you, I'm working hard." is a perfect suggestion. :smile: I have been working hard, and I should be proud of myself. Just because there is still a lot of room for improvement doesn't mean I'm not making progress.
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I used to be a buyer for a major plus size retailer. Did you know plus size models start at a size 8? How SICKENING is that?

I know. It's sad what our society has come to associate as "small" and "plus sizes." In my own mind "plus sizes" are those girls with the hot curves and voluptuous bodies, NOT being fat. I live in the US but get a catalog for a UK company that makes bras and clothing for girls with larger chests (like me) and the models are so beautiful and healthy.

I don't shop in the plus sizes either and I am definitely overweight -- but I'm getting there. With my body type I expect that a medium will be the smallest I would be able to get and I am fine with that. I love my curves!
  • cdelbove
    cdelbove Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile before your mind catches up to your body. When you lose slot of weight you look thinner but your mind I'd so used to thinking of yourself as big that it needs time to adjust to the new you. I still have days when I look in the mirror and see the old "fat" me. When I am eating right and exercising regularly this doesn't happen because I feel good, but everyone has down days. Just remember the scale never lies, that is proof of what you have accomplished!!
  • bs_price
    bs_price Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem i have just been trying to say thank you and i start really taking pride in what you are doing you should be proud of taking the first steps to a healthier life style