dodgy ankle- advice please

Options
Hi, I have been running for a few weeks now and after todays run my ankle is slightly swollen and sore slightly to touch. I never twisted it and wear proper shoes so am bewildered to how this has happened.
Do i ignore and keep on running or what? New to all this and havent got a clue basically.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Amanda xx

Replies

• agathaann
    Options
    The same thing happens to me within the first couple of months of running. Im not a expert or anything but i do know that i have to really limit how much i run. It is really jarring on joints ect. I also think personally for myself my quads and calfs r quite strong but i am quite week in my ankles and hamstrings. Maybe doing some specific exercises would help. it is frustrating because i do love to run. such a great way to burn fat.. but it is hard on the body. i ice right away also and that seems to help. good luck with it though. .
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Prop up and ice. A nice homemade ice pack is put dishsoap in a ziploc bag and freeze. It works just like those gel paks. Usually double bag to make sure it doesn't leak out. But when you freeze dishsoap it doesn't freeze solid it has the feel of a gel pak
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Do not run on an injury. I know it's easy advice to give, but hard to follow. You're likely to turn it into a much worse problem. Ice it, and/or take ibuprofen, keep it elevated as much as possible. If it doesn't heal up soon, get it checked out by a doctor.

In the meantime, you might be able to do other things like elliptical or bicycle if it doesn't aggravate the ankle.

Hope you heal up quickly.