Running Errands

Options
Hey everyone.. Ive been in a slup as far as getting my daily exercise. Ive been pulling so much overtime at work & going to visit family in the hospital that I have literally no time for anything, in the mornings or evenings.. I DO have a lot of "running around" time where I go here & there, grocery shopping, running errands, etc & I wore my heart rate monitor once & seen that I burned a substantial amount of calories by doing that..

so I guess my question is, would running errands, cleaning, etc be counted as exercise?

:) thank you!

Replies

• JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes, ofcourse. You burn calories usng the vacuum so you are definately burning lots of calories running around.

Do you use a step counter? Some step counters tell you how far you've walked and how many calories you have burnt.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! pushing a cart at a grocery store is hard work and getting in and out of your car each time is too. Anything is better than sitting still.
  • telyhan
    telyhan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried, at the end of the day, adding up the amount of time you were actually walking during the day? Take that time and add it as walking for your exercise. Depending on how intense you "run around" would be determined as the type of walking you did. I know there are many times that I walk very fast trying to get from one place to another! Add lifting, loading, pulling, pushing, I bet you can count that time as "brisk walking". It will at least give you a little idea of the calories burned.
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i think one of the best things anyone has told me on here is that if you do anything outside of your "normal" everyday activities it is ok to log it. if it is something you do everyday anyway and it is not out of the norm...do not log it. so once a week when i clean like a crazy woman....i log it. hope this helps.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Although I don't account for running errands on MFP, yes, I'd consider it part of exercise. I consider it more of a bonus though than something to eat extra calories for. As long as you're walking around daily a lot, don't be down about not doing standard exercising, as long as you stay within your calories allotted for the day.
  • candy_grl
    candy_grl Posts: 17
    Options
    everyone, thank you so much for your input, you have helped me a lot.. I know when I wear my pedometer during the day it tells me a lot of times Ive waled 5+ miles during the day & I get so surprised...

thanks everyone for your help!