Late Night Eating

Options
Hi guys - I have a simple question. I've heard two different opinions on this and I do want to do the best thing. I've read/heard that you shouldn't eat after 7PM, but I've also read/heard that it's 9PM. Which is correct? Or is it different depending on what time you go to sleep?

To help...I normally am in bed and ASLEEP by 10PM. With a houseful of kids that's normally the latest I stay up.

Replies

• HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many things on this subject. But I still eat after 7, 8, 9 and sometimes 10 and it has not gotten in the way of my weightloss. You have to find hat works for YOU. Good luck!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I sometimes eat right before I go to bed. It doesn't seem to have done any harm. Yet.
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just on a side note - after evening tea (which we eat normally around 5:30) - I try very hard to make sure any snacks I have are good snacks...not junk :)
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I have heard/read a lot about the late night eating as well. But for me, I eat when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm not anymore. Whether that's at 7 pm or 1 am (I'm a student, lol), so long as I keep up with my workouts, especially strength training.

For now, try out a few different times, and see what works best for you.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I've always ate some carbs about two hours before I go to sleep. This was taught to me by a sports nutritionist.

However, you're about to hear about 100 different opinions on the subject.

The best thing is figure out what works for you. I eat the carbs because I workout in the morning and I want to avoid the catabolic state. (You can tell if your sweat smells like ammonia.) Some people don't workout in the morning so they will tell you not too.

It all depends. Just experiment with your body. You will find out whats best for you over time.
  • kbarry90
    kbarry90 Posts: 48
    Options
    I try not to eat past 8.
  • justinperry
    Options
    AS far as a weight loss POV goes it doesn't matter whatsoever. weight loss is siply the total amopunt of calories consumed vs the amount of calories expended. if your daily limit says you should have 1800 and at 10pm you have only had 1600 then eating is fine. the myth that you shouldn't eat after a certain time of day stems from the fact that people assume that you are asleep and your body is doing nothing thishowever is wrong. out of all the calores you expend, approx 70% come from your basal metabolic rate, approx 15% from planned exercise about 10% from incidental exercise and 5% comes from whats known as the thermic effect of feeding. so if youare asleep for approx 8 hours and you have a 1800 calorie limit then around 600 calories are burnt while you are asleep. think how hungry you will be in the morning if you don't eat after a certain time of night.
    hope this helps a little
  • SandyLee1961
    Options
    Well, so far I've been eating until about 9pm. Mainly fruit and of course my english muffin (LOL you know about that Pajinki) - and the weight is coming off. So, I must be doing something right! :)
  • SandyLee1961
    Options
    AS far as a weight loss POV goes it doesn't matter whatsoever. weight loss is siply the total amopunt of calories consumed vs the amount of calories expended. if your daily limit says you should have 1800 and at 10pm you have only had 1600 then eating is fine. the myth that you shouldn't eat after a certain time of day stems from the fact that people assume that you are asleep and your body is doing nothing thishowever is wrong. out of all the calores you expend, approx 70% come from your basal metabolic rate, approx 15% from planned exercise about 10% from incidental exercise and 5% comes from whats known as the thermic effect of feeding. so if youare asleep for approx 8 hours and you have a 1800 calorie limit then around 600 calories are burnt while you are asleep. think how hungry you will be in the morning if you don't eat after a certain time of night.
    hope this helps a little

That helped a LOT....thank you! :)
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to eat dinner at a reasonable time because I'm making sure all 3 kids (10,5,and 1) eat their dinner, getting everything ready for my 10 year old for school the next day, bathing my 5 & 1 year old.... all that gets in the way and I am trying to stop eat on the go. I don't like the feeling of scarfing down my food so I wait until all kids are in bed so I can sit down and eat.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Well, so far I've been eating until about 9pm. Mainly fruit and of course my english muffin (LOL you know about that Pajinki) - and the weight is coming off. So, I must be doing something right! :)

Haha yeah, I don't see a problem with it. It's been working right?
  • bamagirl2020
    Options
    Hi guys - I have a simple question. I've heard two different opinions on this and I do want to do the best thing. I've read/heard that you shouldn't eat after 7PM, but I've also read/heard that it's 9PM. Which is correct? Or is it different depending on what time you go to sleep?

To help...I normally am in bed and ASLEEP by 10PM. With a houseful of kids that's normally the latest I stay up.

Hi! I've heard a good rule of thumb is not to eat 3 hours before you go to bed.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I honestly dont think it matters what time you eat. Theres this thing called having a life which generally stops me from eating at the same time every day! My Zumba classes dont finish until 7.30 so I generally eat at 8.30 on a Monday and Friday! It hasnt affected my weight loss!

x