Water Weight

Options
I know this has probably been discussed at length but I need some specific information. I started really working out last week. I was doing 45-60mins on the elliptical each day and I did a hour long yoga class twice that same week plus I walk 4kms in the evening (but this is at a slow to moderate pace, more relaxation than work out). Sunday I had a rest day and then I did 45mins on the elliptical Monday but Tuesday I ended up taking another day of rest because I was just too sore. Then wednesday - Saturday I did the elliptical, some strength(arms) and walking in the evening again. I have been drinking lots of water, eating my calories and eating a lot of Salads and lean meat....

My concern is, Last Sunday I weighed in at 165.2 now all week (yes I am a daily weigher lol) I have been weighing in at 167-169. I am not anywhere near my TOM and I am just curious if this has happened to others.

I can feel the water retention in my fingers and ankles and my muscles are stiff and sore. Is this a classic case of water retention after starting a new, harder routine or do I need to back off a bit? It is just so frustrating to see the scale go up when my eating hasn't changed and I feel HUGE again:( It sucks. Anyone else go through this? Any advice?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Interesting Water Facts

We all know that water is important, but I’ve never seen it described like this before!!!!

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. ( Likely applies to half the world population). In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for Hunger. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of dieters studied in a U- Washington study. Lack of water, the 1# trigger of daytime fatigue. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should everyday???
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Watch sodium - MFP's recommendation of 2500 mg is too high. American Heart Association recommends no more than 1300 mg per day. Drink lots and lots of water.

If it IS water retention doing those two things will take care of it in 3-4 days.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Interesting Water Facts

We all know that water is important, but I’ve never seen it described like this before!!!!

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. ( Likely applies to half the world population). In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for Hunger. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of dieters studied in a U- Washington study. Lack of water, the 1# trigger of daytime fatigue. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should everyday???

Wow, I loved this!
  • SamyRose04
    Options
    You are not supposed to weigh everyday. Your body does hold more water on certain days than others, that is why you need to pick one day a week & weigh. Do it first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom before having anything to eat or drink that is the only true way to get an accurate weight. It will drive you nuts to only weigh once a week but it will also keep your motivation up because if you weigh everyday and you aren't losing the weight you feel like you should be then you are going to get discouraged. Also try measuring yourself, sometimes we lose inches before pounds!! :smile:
  • MarcelaBella
    Options
    You might talk to your doctor to see if you have food allergies/sensitivities. I discovered during a reintroduction of foods period after a cleanse this winter that I'm allergic to soy, which causes my face, stomach and fingers to swell (rings are hard to get off), as well as pain in my right hip and feet...weird, but it's all linked to the allergy. Continue to drink as much water as possible--it's so good for our bodies.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    Your muscles hold on to water when they are recovering - so if you're sore, you've got extra water on board. Just keep drinking your water and give yourself rest days like you have been doing and the scale will catch up!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If your strengthening exercises are heavy enough, they could be training your body to store more glycogen to be prepared for the workouts next time. When glycogen is stored in the muscle, it is stored in 3x as much water. While "water weight" is taboo on here, this is actually a good thing because that is an essential part of the muscle fiber growth process.

Water weight gain from cardio, like the elliptical, however, is only partially from glycogen storage. It is usually more a case of losing excessive water from sweating causing the body to try and hold on to any water it can in preparation for the next exercise bout. Up your water intake, especially while you are working out. That will train the body to realize that it doesn't have to store extra water for when you sweat because you will provide it during the activity. Also, check your sodium intake. A lot of times people who are working out strenuously also drink sports drinks or have a high sodium intake to make sure they get what they need in electrolytes to make up for what they are losing in sweat. If you are still higher in sodium then what you are losing, then that will tell the body to hold on to water.
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I too am struggling with this right now. Had a good week the week before with about 2 lb lost and then last week with even more exercise than the week before and instead of a lost I had a gain. It is verrrrrrrry frustrating. Have you been measuring yourself? Have there been a reduction in body size? I noticed that even though I did not loose weight I did loose over an inch from my waist (which should be motivational in itself but I think I am hooked on the scale :frown: ).

I think I will try my best to increase my water to 10 glasses per day and see what happens. Best of luck to you and do let us know how your next week goes :flowerforyou:
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    don't weigh yourself everyday.

Its obviously clear that you are exercising to a degree of burn out, so you need to rehydrate your body.

But do remember to count the water that you get from foods too as well as milk, juice, coffee and tea etc etc etc. People don't often mention this.