Born Big

Options
I'm a 5'7" 187# 18 year old. I have been 'bigger' my entire life, not just weight-wise but size-wise as well. Now I'm determined to lose weight, and keep it off, and look like a healthy 18 year old should.
The problem arises when I look at the number on the scale. I feel like I should weigh around 150# because that's what other girls my age and body type weigh. Some weigh even less, like 130, but I KNOW that that will be too small for me as I am very curvy.
I am currently 187#. A friend of mine was guessing the weight of some other friends and was getting them bang-on, but when he guessed mine he said I looked like I was around 170#!!! When I told them the truth, they said I carried my weight very well. But when I told them that I was still looking to lose around 30#, they freaked! (They know that I have already lost 30#). And not in like a jealous "you don't need to lose anymore weight" way, but in a for real we-will-help-you-seek-therapy-if-you-seriously-think-you-need-to-lose-that-much way. *Whew! Story time over :smile:*
So I guess what I'm asking is - are some people simply meant to weigh more but look smaller? I mean, if I shouldn't be shootin' for 150# because I just happen to be "heavier" no matter what, then should I change my goal weight?
Or, even better, should I say "to-h**l" with the scale and go purely by image?
I'm really confused about all this. 150# will put me in the middle of my healthy-BMI range, and isn't that where I'm supposed to aim for? Or is anywhere in my healthy range fair game?

Replies

• Pinkribbon_Doc
    Options
    You can do a guesstimate of your body frame by using something like this: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz
    I always thought I was a big boned/big framed, but as it turns out, im actually considered small/medium framed and I was just using the "im big boned" phrase as an excuse :) You never know what's lurking under there :D
  • crystal10584
    Options
    sometimes it's not about the number on the scale, it's the way you feel and your actual size. I know people who don't care if the # on the scale changes, but they like being a size 6.

It's about what makes you happy.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I'm naturally heavy too. I'm not paying any attention to BMI.
    60kg is the middle of my BMI range, well I was that weight once, and a size 2US was a tad loose...
    I'm currently "obese" and around a 8-9US

I'm not going for any particular weight and don't pay much attention to my weight, but a general size goal.
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can do a guesstimate of your body frame by using something like this: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz
    I always thought I was a big boned/big framed, but as it turns out, im actually considered small/medium framed and I was just using the "im big boned" phrase as an excuse :) You never know what's lurking under there :D

I just tried that site!! I've ALWAYS thought I was small framed because of my height and my arms are smallish? I just found out that I'm larged framed! Wow
  • jmhigg1020
    jmhigg1020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that muscle also weighs more than fat. I'm really curvy too, and at just under 5'3", I am supposed to be pretty small. However, at my smallest, I'm stlll at the upper end or just above the higher end of that supposed weight range because I also build a lot of muscle, particularly in my legs and upper arms. I agree - look at your overall size and how you feel. A straight BMI or weight range isn't appropriate for everyone. You can also talk to your doctor - they can look at different tests (blood pressure, blood work, etc) to let you know where you should be. Good luck! :)
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options

Thanks so much for this site!
    Yep, I guessed it, I'm large framed. I did figure this though, because those are the genes I have (I also have genes that dictate I should be obese, but I'm fighting that with all I got! :bigsmile:).
    At least now I know that I probably shouldn't be aiming for the lower end of my BMI scale.
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    I'm going with how I feel even at my goal weight I'm going to be borderline obese so I don't pay to much mind to numbers
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'm large frame too according to the site. Hmmm! Interesting!! I always thought I was small frame. But I've also always been above my recommended BMI. I dont take much notice of it, and usually measure my size with clothes.

I think you can look totally different to what you weight, either in a good way or bad way. I usually look bigger than I am!! :grumble: Mainly becasue I'm vertically challenged!! :laugh:

Just as long as you're happy with yourself. You're the only person you need please! :wink: