Seriously; Is that correct?!?!? Reality Check Please...

Options
HELP!!! Reality check needed here.
I've taken up tennis again. Gotten myself into several local leagues.
This morning I played a singles match (3.0 level). It went on to three sets (I won, woo hoo), 4-6, 7-2 (tie break) and 6-2. We started at 9:00 a.m. and ended after 11:00 a.m. I figure with court changes and such, I got a good 1 hr 50 mins of playing.

When logging in my exercise, it showed that I burned 1776 calories!!! Is that for real? Am I making a mistake somewhere?
(If it is for real, it gives another BIG reason why to love the sport.) (Oh yeah, I am a big fella, 265 lb, 5'9", 40yrs old, could it be my Pilsbury Dough Boy physique that helps me burn so much?)

Additionally, I'm still trying to figure out the Net Calories calculation. I currently need 1640 calories daily, with this morning's exercise it adds 1776...after my meals (so far today), it shows I need to eat another 2,683 calories. That can't be right. Finally, I'm about to head outside to do yard work and chores; which will add to my activity calories... Am I suppose to eat that much?

Input is much appreciated.

Replies

• ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    were you wearing a HRM?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess that that is accurate.
    I run (run/walk intervals) and when I do a 10K which is 87 minutes I burn well over 1000 calories...
    Today I ran 10 miles in 150 minutes and burned 2401 calories (according to a Body Media Fit)
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I'd eat as much as you can back comfortably, but don't force it down. But you should be pretty hungry after all that work. Have a big dinner! And absolutely that can be right! Tennis is an amazing AMAZING sport. Look at the people that play it professionally and what there bodies look like.
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    Hi There,

That is an awesome amount of cals for tennis, not being a tennis player myself I am not sure if it would be right that it burns that much cals but I have watched it on tele and they sure do move a lot, it is an all over body workout!! Take the cals and run with it. In regards to the net cals, I personally take them as a grain of salt {which might be frowned upon} but the whole idea is output vs input and if you work OFF the cals with exercise what is the point in eating them ALL back. Does that make sense?

I try and only eat the cals I am allowed in the day no matter how much exercise I do, it has worked for me so I am sticking with it. I hope this has helped. good luck and keep playing tennis those cals are a wicked burn.

:flowerforyou:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's close, and as to eating them.. I would try to eat at least some of them. Enjoy the freedom of food for a moment while you can ;)
  • arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Options
    Yes...the numbers are correct. And unfortunately yes, you do need to eat back at least half of those calories. I went rollerskating yesterday and was amazed to see that 90 min burned over 1000 cals. I think it is more fun to burn calories doing fun things rather than through exercise.

Keep up the good work and get eating...lol. You have lots of calories to consume before bedtime:)
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The bigger ya are the more ya burn. I should know I'm 380!!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'd guess that's right! Wow, maybe I should get playing tennis :bigsmile:
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    Eat as much back as possible!! I personally dont add cleaning/gardening as my exercise, but its up to you!!

Well done!!
  • Saragre
    Saragre Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ain't it great that you can burn calories while having fun? I agree with Helen try to eat as many back as you can comfortably while staying away from complete junk food. Great start!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run (run/walk intervals) and when I do a 10K which is 87 minutes I burn well over 1000 calories...
    Today I ran 10 miles in 150 minutes and burned 2401 calories (according to a Body Media Fit)

no fair - I burned ~ 2,500 running 19 miles yesterday (I weigh ~ 180)
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

Oh ... Im a fatty! I weigh 250 pounds! :) I guess that is the one benefit of being a fatty?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Oh ... Im a fatty! I weigh 250 pounds! :) I guess that is the one benefit of being a fatty?

ha! nice job on your run! looks like you have a half coming up soon
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    well those numbers could be correct. I would first urge you to invest in a HRM- The polar ft4 is awesome and easy to understand. Second I would eat some of the calories if you are hungry or eat more calorie dense food but I NEVER eat all my workout calories back and most days I don't eat much of them at all. Do what your body tells you to though. If your body is telling you that it is hungry then give it some food. If it is saying that your not hungry then just snack on something
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I too am a "big guy" 265lbs at 5' 10" and I have been burning a lot of calories this last week. So I just have tried to at least eat my target calorie and some of the burn calories so that I am between 1400 and 1600 each day. I lost 8 lbs last week so it worked for me. I think you are doing great, now try to get a good workout like that everyday.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

ha! nice job on your run! looks like you have a half coming up soon

Yep second half marathon will be in 6 days from today. I didnt have a great training run today but Im not letting it hold me back. I am going to set another PR at that race I just know it!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    HELP!!! Reality check needed here.
    I've taken up tennis again. Gotten myself into several local leagues.
    This morning I played a singles match (3.0 level). It went on to three sets (I won, woo hoo), 4-6, 7-2 (tie break) and 6-2. We started at 9:00 a.m. and ended after 11:00 a.m. I figure with court changes and such, I got a good 1 hr 50 mins of playing.

When logging in my exercise, it showed that I burned 1776 calories!!! Is that for real? Am I making a mistake somewhere?
    (If it is for real, it gives another BIG reason why to love the sport.) (Oh yeah, I am a big fella, 265 lb, 5'9", 40yrs old, could it be my Pilsbury Dough Boy physique that helps me burn so much?)

Additionally, I'm still trying to figure out the Net Calories calculation. I currently need 1640 calories daily, with this morning's exercise it adds 1776...after my meals (so far today), it shows I need to eat another 2,683 calories. That can't be right. Finally, I'm about to head outside to do yard work and chores; which will add to my activity calories... Am I suppose to eat that much?

Input is much appreciated.

I use a calorie counter and it says 1632 , so yeah yours is close to what you burned. You should try to eat some so your body doesn't think it is starving.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I will tell you this much it burns a lot more than you would think. I learned that with iceskating Because I love it so much and it is so effortless I thought it was wrong but I am doing it and it is coming off fast and yes I do eat my excercise cals and am loosing weight everyday trust it an use it. Also the more you weigh the more you burn so enjoy it while you can Ha!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'd eat as much as you can back comfortably, but don't force it down. But you should be pretty hungry after all that work. Have a big dinner! And absolutely that can be right! Tennis is an amazing AMAZING sport. Look at the people that play it professionally and what there bodies look like.

Strongly agree with this. I worked out for 2 hours yesterday doing kickboxing and boxing classes. I got a great sweat going and did lots of running and kept my heart rate up for the most part. I don't use a HRM, but that was about 1600-1800 cals burnt for me and I'm 5'10" and 35 y/o. Weighing more will definitely make you burn more cals doing the same exercise than weighing less. I didn't eat back all my cals yesterday, but I tried to have a big breakfast and snacks before and after lunch and treated myself to a beer at dinner. I was still 200 or more under. I'm going to invest in an HRM so that I can more accurately track how much I'm burning. I just don't know if it's that accurate right now and I could be burning more than I think which means I'm not eating nearly enough and that will cause a stall after several weeks of undereating. Point being, you're going to be fine if you don't eat back all the cals today, just try not to think you can eat extra tomorrow. Thats a bad midset to get into. Just think of it as a bonus workout day, just the opposite of a day you eat some extra and go over your cals, which is perfectly fine and good for you as well.
    Oh and I never count working outside as a workout unless I get my heart rate going, but that's just me personally. Again, just bonus calories burned.
    Good luck with your goals and great workout with the tennis.
  • sjmartinez
    Options
    You have to burn 3500 calories just to lose 1 pound! Ya'll are doing great!