I need some help with food choices

Options
Today I made some homemade pico de gallo. That in itself is super nutritious with hardly any calories. The problem is the tortilla chips. There is 140 calories and 19 carbs in 9 chips! Are there any healthier options? Mine were Santitas white corn.

Some other things I'm looking for a low cal, low carb options are-
Bread
Pasta
Sauces
Peanut butter
Anything sweet!

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    try toasting a tortilla shell and breaking it up.
    (most shells are 90-120 cals) .
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Special K cracker chips. they are super light and work well with salsa and the like.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it myself yet, but I heard that Sara Lee 45 Calorie 100% Whole Wheat with Honey bread is pretty good. Someone on here made french toast with it and it looked awesome. I'm going to try it on my next shopping trip.
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    You can take a tortilla and bake it to dry it out and use it for chips. Also if you are looking for sweet try Pure Protein bars. They have chocolate in them, 200 calories and I lots of protein. I use them as a night time snack!!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you can find them La Tiara taco shells (I found them locally, they also sell them online)40 calories and 4 carbs a shell
    Sara Lee Delightful 45 calorie bread
    There are alot of websites for low carbers that sell bread, pasta etc.
    Unfortunately there are alot of carbs in tortillas and tortilla chips.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bread~~~ there are 2 that i know of that are lower calorie... one is wonder smart 50 cal. per slice and the other is nickles 35 light at 35 cal per slice.. sweet things.... fruits... peanut butter well lower cal but still high in fat... but oh how delicious is peanut butter yum...moderation.... as far as chips i dont know
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the carbs are in them.. But in terms of low-cal, for bread try the Orrowheat Sandwich Thins.
  • cyutface
    cyutface Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes makes some great tortilla chips that are healthier. I like the ones with flax seeds. This website shows the nutrition values and some other choices that Trader Joe's has. Hopefully you have a store near you.
    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/trader-joes/corn-chips-with-flax.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I put it over eggs- this week a feta and mushroom omlette.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    sara lee 45 calorie bread, la tortilla factory high fiber low carb tortillas, guiltless gourmet chips, better 'n peanut butter, tofu shirataki noodles.
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Pita chips maybe?
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Bread: Pepperidge Farm has a light style wheat / multigrain bread that's only 45 cal. / slice
    Sweet: Fiber Plus Coconut Chocolate Caramet bars... MMM! & only 120 cal.

Honestly, I'd just splurge on the chips... they're one of my weaknesses.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    celery! celery is great great great with salsa or anything spicy and has almost no calories at all. you can literally eat it all day.

re pasta: spaghetti squash >> quinoa pasta: it may not be lower in calories, but quinoa is a superfood.
    sauces: home made (easier to control ingredients, no need for fillers/stabilizers and/or preservatives (salt or sugar)
    Bread - get or make a high fiber bread. it will fill you up longer and release carbohydrates slower. i add oatmeal, flax & wheat germ to my 100% wheat
    Peanut butter - no, not really, but just have a little. it's a good fat.

Anything sweet!

apples, raisins, grapes, prunes, carob, carrots, granola, cranberries, oranges, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, plums, pears, persimmons, etc...

try to eat them in local season - it's cheaper; buy organic whenever possible - many of those are loaded with pesticides in a commercial setting.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hey there...I'm kinda learning as I go and new to all this, but here are some things I have found.

-Tortilla chips are gonna have carbs, calories, sodium, etc...I got whole grain, or multi-grain tortilla chips....I'm sorry I can't remember exactly, but one of those. I think I get like 16 chips for 140 calores. You just have to look at the back of the bag and see which ones give you more chips for lesser calories. The regular chips are what got us all here in the first place...lol.

-Bread- I use Nature's Own Honey Wheat. It takes a little getting used to , but it's really pretty good...once you get all the crappy white bread out of your system that is. Carb free bread was available when the Atkins Diet was the new fad, but I seldom see that anymore.

Pasta- it's actually good for you every once in a while. I don't shy away from eating pasta one day a week, but I am more picky with the sauce and how I prepare it. More fresh veggies in the sauce. Also, a GREAT option is spaghetti squash. If you wanna know more about that, friend me and I'll tell ya about it.

Peanut butter - stay away from it. I looked through those the other day and I couldn't find one that was worth eating. Maybe as a snack every once in a while.

Sweets - I have not steered clear of these either. I have, however, been more conscientious of what I buy. Hunt's Fat Free Snack Pack puddings are AWESOME and only 80 calories each. I have 2 of those a day. Where I live I can get them in chocolate, vanilla, and blueberry muffin. Weight Watchers has some really good ice cream choices that are pretty guilt free too. I have had 2 chocolate pudding cups, and an ice cream cone everyday and I'm LOSING weight.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, pita chips. You can make your own. Half a pita has about 95 cal. Pop it in a toaster oven for a bit until it just starts to change colour. It will still be somewhat soft but will turn crunchie when it cools down. Then you can break off pieces and dip away.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter - stay away from it. I looked through those the other day and I couldn't find one that was worth eating. Maybe as a snack every once in a while.

nut butters are actually very good for you, especially when made at home. just don't go to town on them. if you can mix some flax seed in, you're getting a superfood in the mix!

don't shy away from peanut butter, just make it count.
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks so much for the awesome answers! I'm really trying to pay attention to what I eat. My huge weaknesses are tortilla chips, reeses and bread with butter! I try to only splurge every once in a while.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Tostitos Baked Scoops are pretty good, but they still have some fat. As mentioned by others you can make your own, definitely a good idea. Celery or cucumber slices are the best guilt free option.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I take Mission extra thin yellow corn tortillas, cut them into wedges, spray them with a little pam & sprinkle of sea salt then put them in a 400 degree oven for 5-7 minutes and they are AMAZING! 2 tortillas = 80 calories.

PS, Watch the tortillas!!!